Gibson Brands Forums

Yin, yang and yong.

EDP

Hey All,

I am currently enjoying my two Gibsons, a Doves in Flight and a SJ200 Deluxe Rosewood.  They are both amazing and I enjoy how different they are to the point where I have developed a strong preference by song for one or the other.  Instead of yin and yang, I could think of them as 'rhythm and blues' or even 'bell and drum'.  My ear is still developing though for sure.

I do travel a lot though and am thinking of upgrading my travel guitar, currently a nice but too boxy little Yamaha.  I actually play each instrument every day so playability and tone matter.  I am considering various LG-2s and L-00s and have read the posts comparing them.  But, my eye keeps finding this little number on Reverb...

https://reverb.com/item/35462685-1966-epiphone-cortez

Again, i am a player, not a collector but i was born in 1966 so I have always been on the watch for something interesting from that year.  A little nervous about an old used guitar like this but it seems it could be great fun t travel around with.

So, which of you would go new/almost new LG-2 or L-00 and which would jump on the Epiphone and why?  Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

Hi!!  nice pair of gibbies.

But for the question at hand..

If you travel a lot, and would use it for travel,  maybe,,, (I know this sounds nutty coming from the "born in '57 dinosaur" that I am.)  a carbon fiber guitar would be the thing? Impervious to climate changes and would probably travel well.  There's some pretty nice CF Gutiars on the market these days.    Emeralds have caught my attention...

...I know I'm not much help, but just another idea to consider...

• Like 1

Just now, kidblast said:

Hi!!  nice pair of gibbies.

But for the question at hand..

If you travel a lot, and would use it for travel,  maybe,,, (I know this sounds nutty coming from the "born in '57 dinosaur" that I am.)  a carbon fiber guitar would be the thing? Impervious to climate changes and would probably travel well.  There's some pretty nice CF Gutiars on the market these days.    Emeralds have caught my attention...

...I know I'm not much help, but just another idea to consider...

Hey,

Thanks Kid!

I actually had an Emerald travel guitar for a while and never really bonded with it.  I think i just missed my wood acoustics too much.  I am in more of a 'life is too short to worry about dinging a guitar on a plane' mode.   This is at least partially due to how much i enjoy playing the Dove and SJ...

Thanks again!

1 hour ago, EDP said:

Hey,

Thanks Kid!

I actually had an Emerald travel guitar for a while and never really bonded with it.  I think i just missed my wood acoustics too much.  I am in more of a 'life is too short to worry about dinging a guitar on a plane' mode.   This is at least partially due to how much i enjoy playing the Dove and SJ...

Thanks again!

I'm with!  Agree that the wood is what makes organic and easier to me, to bond with.  I love my SJ200, it sounds/feels like no other I've owned.

Good luck with the "next" one.  those small bodied gibsons are special instruments. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

My beater/take anywhere guitar is a $750 used Martin D-15M. I'd be pissed if my 2.6k guitar got f-ed while traveling.

I hear ya!  Traveling more and more by car these days.  Also have never had trouble getting a safe spot in the cabin on a plane and I fly 20-30 times per year.  Probably greatest risk is theft from my hotel room...   Thanks!

7 minutes ago, EDP said:

I hear ya!  Traveling more and more by car these days.  Also have never had trouble getting a safe spot in the cabin on a plane and I fly 20-30 times per year.  Probably greatest risk is theft from my hotel room...   Thanks!

I used to fly 4 to 6 times a month for 4 years when I was in the Coast Guard, but I didn't ever bring my guitar. I got so sick of Atlanta Airport.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Your main guitars obviously make a splendid pair - 2 biggies now getting company from a sunburst elf. Why not, , , if 66 means that much to you (it's my fave-year and has been for ages).                                                                                 But have you noticed the one in question might have the plastic bridge - I'm not 100, but do check it out. 

Don't forget to report. Have fun.

1 hour ago, E-minor7 said:

Your main guitars obviously make a splendid pair - 2 biggies now getting company from a sunburst elf. Why not, , , if 66 means that much to you (it's my fave-year and has been for ages).                                                                                 But have you noticed the one in question might have the plastic bridge - I'm not 100, but do check it out. 

Don't forget to report. Have fun.

I did notice that and have a query in to the seller.  Will let you know.  Thanks!

Over the past few years I’ve bought a few guitars for less than $250 for laying around, loaning out, taking on vacation and a couple were given away. I always look for solid top that has good geometry so I can set them up to play easy. I currently have two in that category. 
A Fender Buck Owens and an Alvarez. 

Cheap guitars

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dave F said:

Over the past few years I’ve bought a few guitars for less than $250 for laying around, loaning out, taking on vacation and a couple were given away. I always look for solid top that has good geometry so I can set them up to play easy. I currently have two in that category. 
A Fender Buck Owens and an Alvarez. 

Cheap guitars

Very cool guitars Dave.  I have a b-stock Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat that is my take anywhere do anything sacrificial lamb and it can hold its own for sure

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again everyone!  i just took delivery of a new Custom Shop 1942 Banner LG-2 and am just getting to know it.  I do plan on traveling with it but not in more risky travel situations.  I now owe a new guitar day post.  Plan to doo some playing and recording Saturday.  I am finally have the courage too post something on this forum.  Cheers!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EDP said:

Thanks again everyone!  i just took delivery of a new Custom Shop 1942 Banner LG-2 and am just getting to know it.  I do plan on traveling with it but not in more risky travel situations.  I now owe a new guitar day post.  Plan to doo some playing and recording Saturday.  I am finally have the courage too post something on this forum.  Cheers!

Look forward to that ^ meantime-heps

• Like 1