Gibson Brands Forums

Thing That Make You Go Hmmmm

Sgt. Pepper

I don't think people are so much upset with masks per se  as they are with some of the accompanying restrictions.  This week a Federal Judge ruled the PA governor violated the Constitution with some of his heavy handed lockdowns.  The NJ governor, when asked a few months back, if he thought his orders to close church services (while leaving Pot Shops and Liquor Stores open) were a violation of the First Amendment.  He laughed it off and said  "That's above my pay grade."   So -  the highest official of some of our states do not care if they may be depriving their citizens of their Freedom (or closing their businesses).  If you want your rights back, you have to sue: take time off from work and money from your savings - to restore them. While, the governor uses taxpayer money and state lawyers to overwhelm you.   Kicking 18 year olds out of college and refusing to refund their tuition for not wearing a mask 100% of the time...  Mother and 2 year old kicked off SouthWestern flight because child wasn't wearing mask initially before take off.   I think it's the abuses of those kinds  by people who have let their power go to their heads that are upsetting those who bark back when someone confronts them about not wearing a mask in a grocery store in a state where it's not required.    I don't know about MI, other than it seems your governor is one of the most heavy-handed, and I would assume that would cause a proportionate level or pushback.  I've heard of people being confronted for NOT wearing masks, but not for wearing them.   Yes, on anonymous social media - you can get attacked or ridiculed for either. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

The NJ governor, when asked a few months back, if he thought his orders to close church services (while leaving Pot Shops and Liquor Stores open) were a violation of the First Amendment.  He laughed it off and said  "That's above my pay grade."  

Church's don't pay taxes. Liquor stores and weed stores do.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

protecting life is protecting freedom in the most basic way.If we could ALL agree to trying to halt the spread for 6-8 weeks  and then argue about it IF NEEDED , both sides would be better off.We will keep spinning  our tires if we dont  ALL give it a chance....  ps  it could be  SO great to beat this ****, stop the fires, mitigate flooding  and BE HAPPY AGAIN  . WE CAN DO ANYTHING WE WANT TO BAD ENOUGH

3 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

Do it because it’s the right thing to do the way I believe it. But you know, “Freedom! Liberty!” SMH. 

I hear ya.

Equating being irresponsible to being free is no fair to those of us who don't want to get sick. Do false equivalences on your own time, geniuses.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jvi said:

protecting life is protecting freedom in the most basic way.If we could ALL agree to trying to halt the spread for 6-8 weeks  and then argue about it IF NEEDED , both sides would be better off.We will keep spinning  our tires if we dont  ALL give it a chance....  ps  it could be  SO great to beat this ****, stop the fires, mitigate flooding  and BE HAPPY AGAIN  . WE CAN DO ANYTHING WE WANT TO BAD ENOUGH

Agree

It's a virus. Even small islands in the Pacific have gotten it.   "Halt the spread for 6 - 8 weeks."   It's been 6 - 8 months.  "Flatten the curve."     Maybe 'being irresponsible'  is when you are told  conflicting information by experts over that period of time.     Pandemics in the past 100 years have lasted approximately 1 year, and 'science' isn't sure why they go away.  Still can't agree on why The Spanish Flu went away.  They also hit in 'waves', gradually diminishing.  For this one, we have the very real promise of a vaccine - but some politicians are politicizing that.  More fear.   They cherry pick the science they want us to believe.  

20 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

It's a virus. Even small islands in the Pacific have gotten it.   "Halt the spread for 6 - 8 weeks."   It's been 6 - 8 months.  "Flatten the curve."     Maybe 'being irresponsible'  is when you are told  conflicting information by experts over that period of time.     Pandemics in the past 100 years have lasted approximately 1 year, and 'science' isn't sure why they go away.  Still can't agree on why The Spanish Flu went away.  They also hit in 'waves', gradually diminishing.  For this one, we have the very real promise of a vaccine - but some politicians are politicizing that.  More fear.   They cherry pick the science they want us to believe.  

The fact is no one knows all the answers really. If we did we wouldn’t be dealing with a mess. It’s a novel virus and science is a tool that can be refined over time. Science is about facts. It can be disproven - agreed. But all I can say is that I believe it’s safe to believe that this virus has the potential to cause a lot of harm and it can spread by us collaborating like business as usual. I’m no scientist or expert on this stuff, but it’s scary to think about what it can do to diminish our livelihood and or lives. And you’re right it’s something that has been heavily politicized and really shouldn’t be. Again don’t have answers to how to end this nightmare but I believe that masks and distancing are our best defenses at this point in time being we have no vaccine. Treatments may have improved but what tool do you have other than statistics or whatever to know the efficacy of them? I don’t believe you just want to give up and get it... maybe some do, but that’s not me. What’s more troubling than the solution is the lack of unity to fight together to be one all facing the same problem. That’s what a country is all about IMHO. We rise and fall together but we’re together and fought the good fight. We share our hopes and fears together to actually love our neighbor. I know what I’m saying can be taken as a grain of salt, but I’m happy to share my hopes and fears with whom I can and this place being my audience. I love my country and never want it to break down. I do want to persevere and give us the happiness of a future for our loved ones. Nothing IMHO is more American than speaking from the heart and unifying for the betterment of the world billions of is share together. It’s saddens me we are so divided and can’t send a positive message to all of us. I don’t want to be red or blue. We are the red, white, and blue. But I appreciate your sharing and hope for your happiness and prosperity American to American and all those abroad that our our friends and allies. Very idyllic yes, but no one can change how I feel and what I hope for. 

haha and I don’t really hate people, it was a joke. I have a good life and hope to give one to my future - our future. Peace and happiness my friend. 

• Thanks 3

We know we all should be acting as one. Well, we cant have that. So we can only do what we think is right and hope for the best. 

The saying 'dont worry about what you cant change' applies. I'll continue to try to keep out of everyone's way and be cautious about where to go and how. That's easy enough. The thing to work on now is trying to stay cool. That's a bit more difficult; but its doable and its worth it, because our wellbeing (& sanity) is worth it. My attitude going forward will be to not allow anyone to damage my composure.  

Thats the plan anyway

...might need some luck?!

..... no screw it, I'm gonna be fine

• Like 1

Thanks to our stellar handling of the pandemic (I'd give it an A+), I've got some time on my hands so have stocked up on some new reading material: Michael Cohen's book just showed up and Bob Woodward's is hopefully not far behind.  Whoever thought there would be so many interesting things to hit my library?

Every day a new box, what could be in it?  

Hmmm...

• Like 1

On 9/14/2020 at 6:20 PM, NighthawkChris said:

This definitely make me go hmmm... quite the shame that people are so poorly misinformed. Well, unfortunately they’re not alone. I see a lot of people around my neck of the woods that believe all sorts of fake garbage and conspiracies these days. No saving them as far as I’m concerned.
Well, the virus is real and it does not care that you aren’t a believer. It wants your cells and by god it’ll get them eventually. SARS Cov2 is widespread here more than any place in the world and that’s sad because we only have 4.25% of the world’s population. Misinformation and poor leadership are to blame. Not saying we could eradicate it by doing better things but we wouldn’t have how many millions of cases we at least know about in top of the thousands and thousands of deaths... oh well, out of sight out of mind... losers. Sorry I hate people haha!

Yeah, I hear you. Deb & I hate to see mom get it but if none of the family in Iowa believe what we're saying then, hitting 90 is a good old ripe age! And Iowa has bigger numbers than Nebraska. Dan, didn't;t think he would get it either, till he got to Sturgis and came back with it. 

18 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

That would get more than a "hmmm" from me! I would probably be on the phone to a realtor!!

I would have grabbed my Raging Judge with 6 rounds of Winchester PDX  .410 gage 3" shells. 4 - .41 caliber discs followed by 16 BB's in each one.  Haha.  I'll let garter snakes go but not those monsters if they're on the property. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

I guess all you can do then is hope they stay safe. 

Yep. I've talked to her enough. I don't know what I'm ever talking about but I have a sister that cannot tell the truth ever and she always listens to her & her family.  So be it. 

15 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Thanks to our stellar handling of the pandemic (I'd give it an A+), I've got some time on my hands so have stocked up on some new reading material: Michael Cohen's book just showed up and Bob Woodward's is hopefully not far behind.  Whoever thought there would be so many interesting things to hit my library?

Every day a new box, what could be in it?  

Hmmm...

Devon Nunes came out with a new book this week.  Jason Chaffetz came out with a new one last week.  If you're interested in politics from actual politicians points of view. 

25 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Devon Nunes came out with a new book this week.  Jason Chaffetz came out with a new one last week.  If you're interested in politics from actual politicians points of view. 

you love cow farts AND propaganda!!!!!   have a nice day....

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Mr. Gibson said:

No if it was Nazi Germany we'd round them up,put in box cars,gas them,cremate them and fertilize the cabbage with their ashes.

ironically you are protesting again.

Edited by jvi
edit
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jvi said:

ironically you are protesting again.

Mr. Canada, this is a United States problem.  These kids protesting is just like kids in a candy store. Just sit and watch the protesters and what they do. They all take pictures of the chaos and they're smiling and laughing and dancing around,they're not angry about anything they're doing it because it's fun for them. You can see true anger on a face. None of them have that face. We the people are tired of it. I'm still at fire hoses,rubber bullets and dogs. And tasers. Tasers work good. I've tazzed myself twice by accident,that took the steam outta me and that was just a short hit. Wonder what a few seconds could do.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1