Gibson Brands Forums

Retirement 2

'Scales

1 minute ago, ksdaddy said:

It's fairly common with this agency for retirees to come back "under contract" for a certain term, usually 24 hours a week. At this stage, I flat refuse to even consider that, but I'm also smart enough to realize things change and I may feel differently at that time.

But as for right now, let me out of here!

Believe me I know that feeling soooo well. 

I used to enjoy my job once, but it was a long while ago when I was allowed to get on with it. By the time I handed over my co. pass at the gate, I was ready to sprint!

Hope it all goes well for ya! 👍

I’ll be retired eight years in May, 2021.  Was going to retire at 61, but waited until I was 64, because of some financial advantages if I waited three more years.  Those three years were a pain...lol...but I’m glad I waited. .......I don’t think I’ve been bored at all.  In many ways, I’m busier than at any other time in my life and I’m enjoying it more than ever before.  The difference is that most of the things  I now do are things I like doing and/or choose to do.  I play more gigs than when I was working, spend more time with my family, my wife and I are always out doing something,  we can get out-of-town pretty much whenever we want, I spend a lot of time playing guitar while I watch trains run on my n scale railroad, and I’m a lot more relaxed than when I was working.   Life is good and it got better last week when I got my new J200 Montana Gold.  So much better that I haven’t had a chance to record a review yet, but I will soon.

Edited by MissouriPicker

On 9/12/2020 at 8:56 PM, rct said:

I retired January of 2019, right into the biggest shutdown in my employer's history.  I lived.

Then came the Covid.  We have lived.

I can't even imagine what it is that causes "boredom".  I have so much to do, so many things keeping me on my feet all day, eating less, and tired as a dog at midnight, than I could ever have imagined.  I spend my time waiting for Mrs to retire at the end of this year.  And we have so much sh1t planned already, I don't know how we will find the time to do it all.  While playing in two bands at the moment.

I highly recommend retirement.  We worked for it, planned for it, and we are doing it.

rct

post of the day ... 

1 hour ago, MissouriPicker said:

I’ll be retired eight years in May, 2021.  Was going to retire at 61, but waited until I was 64, because of some financial advantages if I waited three more years.  Those three years were a pain...lol...but I’m glad I waited. .......I don’t think I’ve been bored at all.  In many ways, I’m busier than at any other time in my life and I’m enjoying it more than ever before.  The difference is that most of the things  I now do are things I like doing and/or choose to do.  I play more gigs than when I was working, spend more time with my family, my wife and I are always out doing something,  we can get out-of-town pretty much whenever we want, I spend a lot of time playing guitar while I watch trains run on my n scale railroad, and I’m a lot more relaxed than when I was working.   Life is good and it got better last week when I got my nerves J200 Montana Gold.  So much better that I haven’t had a chance to record a review yet, but I will soon.

If this isn't an advertisement for retirement, I don't know what is!  And congrats on the J200...  just wow, awesome, cool!

I retired from the gubamint at the end of 2011 at age 51 with 30 years of service.  I was more than ready to go when I did.  I was fortunate that I was able to put a lot of money away in savings and eliminate all debt, except for the mortgage A on top of my pension.  My mandatory retirement age was 57 (was only 55 when I first hired on) so if I hadn’t done so already, I would have been forced into retirement on the last day of the month I turned 57.  

I have never regretted my decision to retire when I did.  Since retirement, I do some part-time consulting work for multiple gubamint agencies.  I can pick and choose assignments and work as much or as little as I want.  My goal is to only work about 10-20 hours a month.  And if I want to take a month or two off, no problem.  An ideal situation.