Gibson Brands Forums

Peter Seeger advertising Volvo?

Boyd

Just saw a Volvo ad that featured Pete Seeger singing "Hard times in the Mill".  Wow, I wonder how he would have felt about that song being used in this way? I'm probably missing something but just don't understand the connection between a song about the hardships of working people with expensive Volvos.

Indeed.  Another way of looking at it is that this is a chance to get his music out there and on the air, maybe someone will google it to find out what the song is and who is singing it.  I wonder who holds the rights to his music and performances?

• Like 1

Just saw it again (seems to be running a lot) and evidently the connection is that this upscale family's  "hardships" of getting the kids off to school in the morning and changing the baby's diapers  are the equivalent of "hard times in the mill". And they are indeed fortunate because the Volvo automatically applies the brakes when dad backs out into traffic without looking.

He actually discusses that incident in an interview I saw somewhere, I think it was "The other side of the mirror" documentary about Dylan in Newport. He said he was just joking and really his only issue was all the distortion from the sound system.  🙂

Edited by Boyd

I don't like seeing the musical icons in commercials - no artists, no tunes. McCartney said it :

People connect their own personal dreams, pictures, stories and visions to the songs -  they should not be colored by commercial interests or specific brands. 

Used other words, but the meaning is clear - and he's right. 

Believe I heard Seeger explain about his old father also. That the electric level was too loud for him and he might drop his false teeth in the tall grass or something. .                                                                              I still have a gut-feeling that P.S. didn't like what was goin' on - but then certainly didn't want to go down in history as a stop-hat afterwards as the myth established. 

1 hour ago, Boyd said:

He actually discusses that incident in an interview I saw somewhere, I think it was "The other side of the mirror" documentary about Dylan in Newport. He said he was just joking and really his only issue was all the distortion from the sound system.  🙂

I know that is why I said "Leland has is". It also talked about on the No Direction Home documentary.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Here's some info and a video of the commercial. This might have been my reaction if they didn't use that Seeger song... 

"Here’s a clever little story. It makes you smile with its relatable scenarios about two parents’ everyday “saves” of their twins."  

But it's a Swedish production, so maybe they don't quite "get" Seeger... I seriously doubt this is what he was trying to convey when he wrote that song. 😉

"We want to show how the Volvo XC60 and XC90 are the ultimate family cars."

https://www.thestable.com.au/forsman-and-bodenfors-volvo-a-little-internet-humour-that-every-parent-will-understand/

Edited by Boyd

Awhile back we had a similar discussion about the Beatles’ “Help” being used in a commercial (maybe for Google) and how that song was controlled by a different publisher than the majority of their catalogue because of it being in the movie Help.   And, how it’s the publisher who controls how a song or recording is used, not necessarily the artist or the artist’s heirs.  The music business...

I suspect the same is going on with PS’ recording, which may be on the Folkways Smithsonian label, which 1) may not see a conflict as the song was originally on a Folkways album of industrial era songs and/or 2)  may see a cash opportunity and/or 3) both.  We may never know.  But, on a positive note it is getting PS’ music out to new people.  That’s a good thing.  

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

Edited by QuestionMark
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Boyd said:

Here's some info and a video of the commercial. This might have been my reaction if they didn't use that Seeger song... 

"Here’s a clever little story. It makes you smile with its relatable scenarios about two parents’ everyday “saves” of their twins."  

But it's a Swedish production, so maybe they don't quite "get" Seeger... I seriously doubt this is what he was trying to convey when he wrote that song. 😉

"We want to show how the Volvo XC60 and XC90 are the ultimate family cars."

https://www.thestable.com.au/forsman-and-bodenfors-volvo-a-little-internet-humour-that-every-parent-will-understand/

To be frank, I don't think the staff behind the films offers much energy or awareness on the roots'n'realm of vintage Pete Seeger. This is a modern ad and it plays/plays on the effect  of the unexpected and original contrast between the old folk-tune, contemporary family-life challenges and a brand new car. That 'chord' creates attention - attention is what they need. 

Hereby I'm not saying the PR-bureau doesn't respect Seeger, , , they could even have had a fest with his old records while working. Thanx for posting the link. 

With all the crap today, who knows what Volvo is doing?  It's obviously all about marketing an expensive car and trying to make it attractive to  "the average guy."  Seeger was labeled as a radical by many, but he was patriotic as well.  He didn't hate his county. .........I kind of thought that the Volkswagon/Johnny Cash commercial that aired during the Super Bowl last February was pretty cool.  I believe it was chosen as the most popular commercial during the game and received a considerable amount of approving comments.  To me it was celebrating unity as well as promoting Volkswagon.  However, it practically disappeared in 10-12 days because some butthole group complained that the multi-racial families in it should have had another hispanic person in it to make it equal.  I think even Seeger would approve of his music in this kind of commercial, but he likely wouldn't be  extreme enough for today.  Personally, I didn't count how many black/white/hispanic folks were in it.  I just thought it was a pretty good example of getting a large family out-of-bed, fed, and into the car for a familly event......and a Volkswagon was the car................. Too many people are offended by anything and everything.  They're not happy unless they can be a victim.

Edited by MissouriPicker

I had hoped this was an old commercial from 30/40yrs ago...I've driven old Volvos for years (three 740s, two 940s and a 240) and I love them. Such soulful old cars, which, across the six, I've driven over a million miles and never, ever failed to get me home. Not a bad record considering the youngest of them was 21yrs old at the time of acquisition.

Hell, I'd sing about them if anything decent rhymed with Volvo!!

Edited by Jinder

2 hours ago, Jinder said:

Hell, I'd sing about them if anything decent rhymed with Volvo!!

We have a certain countryside region and if coming from there you are a Molbo. According to the myth they are supposed to be extraordinary clumbsy and lame. 

And here's a song about the brand. The 544 is my all time favorite, but this tune celebrates the Amazon. WARNING - it's 80s stuff and they go all in. It's called Violent Volvo. 

On 9/12/2020 at 1:30 PM, QuestionMark said:

I suspect the same is going on with PS’ recording, which may be on the Folkways Smithsonian label, which 1) may not see a conflict as the song was originally on a Folkways album of industrial era songs and/or 2)  may see a cash opportunity and/or 3) both.  We may never know.  But, on a positive note it is getting PS’ music out to new people.  That’s a good thing.  

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

Smithsonian Folk Ways Recordings does own the publishing rights to the song.

Edited by zombywoof

The one that cracked me up was either a Chevrolet or GMC ad for an SUV, and the music they used was a long intro to a Who song.  The ad talked about the reliability of the vehicle etc. etc. - but the song itself was "Eminence Front" - "it's a put on".  It's fairly obvious to me that modern day thirty of forty something year olds in marketing don't have a clue about older music and the point of the view the songs were presenting.

Edited by Twang Gang

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2020 at 5:32 PM, MissouriPicker said:

With all the crap today, who knows what Volvo is doing?  It's obviously all about marketing an expensive car and trying to make it attractive to  "the average guy."  Seeger was labeled as a radical by many, but he was patriotic as well.  He didn't hate his county. .........I kind of thought that the Volkswagon/Johnny Cash commercial that aired during the Super Bowl last February was pretty cool.  I believe it was chosen as the most popular commercial during the game and received a considerable amount of approving comments.  To me it was celebrating unity as well as promoting Volkswagon.  However, it practically disappeared in 10-12 days because some butthole group complained that the multi-racial families in it should have had another hispanic person in it to make it equal.  I think even Seeger would approve of his music in this kind of commercial, but he likely wouldn't be  extreme enough for today.  Personally, I didn't count how many black/white/hispanic folks were in it.  I just thought it was a pretty good example of getting a large family out-of-bed, fed, and into the car for a familly event......and a Volkswagon was the car................. Too 5many people are offended by anything and everything.  They're not happy unless they can be a victim.

I think you are conflating two separate incidents.  There was a johnny cash volkswagen commercial a few years ago featuring mixed families, but it didnt premier during the super bowl, and there was no controversy about it.  At least I can't find a single negative piece about it on the first three pages of a google search.  Then there was a johnny cash super bowl 2020 commercial, by the fox network i believe, which was just a spot celebrating the U.S. flag set to the cash song "ragged old flag". People were pissed about it because they viewed it as a swipe at colin kaepernick and police brutality protesters.

As for pete seeger, he was an actual card-carrying member of the communist party.  More extreme than most folks out there today.  And i dont say that in a negative way, as i too believe that workers are entitled to EVERY BIT of the wealth they create. Full stop.  Seeger left the party itself eventually, but i believe he remained a Red / comrade his whole life - just unaffiliated with any particular organization.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2020 at 8:37 AM, Keam said:

Honestly I'm Swedish myself and I am so upset about this. It's just gross. This can never have been what PS wanted his music used for and a labour ballad should not be utilized for a car safety commercial. Not okay!

I wholeheartedly agree with Keam and others who have expressed similar reactions.

I wonder about the royalties for this use of Pete Seeger's song. It would be comforting to me if I learned that, perhaps, the royalties are going to his sloop Clearwater.

Is there anyone in the group who knows? TIA