Gibson Brands Forums

Mesa combo amps

callen3615

Hey guys, Im looking to upgrade from my cheap line 6. I have always wanted a mesa combo. I have been a big metallica fan and I know Petrucci, and Timmons uses em. So what is the best used mesa combo amp for metal. It doesnt have to be really loud. I would use it for metal to classic rock. Cleans are a must but they aren't as important as good distortion channel. I probably would buy used, my price range is probably 1500 and under. Thanks

This is hard to answer.

I got the Lonestar Special Head and got it used for $1400.

I do mainly blues and classic rock but have no idea how it would be suited for metal.

I guess we have some metal dudes on the Forum who should help.

This is hard to answer.

I got the Lonestar Special Head and got it used for $1400.

I do mainly blues and classic rock but have no idea how it would be suited for metal.

I guess we have some metal dudes on the Forum who should help.

Ive heard the lonestar is a clean amp. but thanks.

mesa express...any of them. they are badass. unless you want metal, they can do it all. the only reason i didnt keep mine (5:25) was because i bought a 76 LP Deluxe and the wife said one or the other.

they sound fantastic at any volume.

mesa express...any of them. they are badass. unless you want metal' date=' they can do it all. the only reason i didnt keep mine (5:25) was because i bought a 76 LP Deluxe and the wife said one or the other.

they sound fantastic at any volume.[/quote']

I am seriously thinking about buying one of these. I am undecided between the combo version and the head and cab.

I have a Boogie Blue Angel 1x12 and it does everything I want to do, but I don't do metal. I do play classic rock with it. I use a tubescreamer. I have had a Boogie MkII and I played all kinds of stuff with it, but no metal. What I like about the boogies is that they are very reliable and built like tanks. Can't you just use pedals for your uber distortion?

I might be way off here but I seem to recall that metallica used Mark IV for some of the guitar work on the black album (and or earlier)..

Anyway I have a M/B Studio 22 + with a eq-pedal and perhapse an extra distorision pedal I think I can get some metal sound out of it. Although I don't play metal much, so it might not be what your looking for.

Best advice is to look and try around..

I want a mark iv or a rectoverb. How much are the mark iv new?

Mark IV just been discontinued but check with Mesa if they still have some in stock.

As for price, new, maybe you are looking @ around (+-) $1900. New Mark V starts @

around $3K.

Archived