Gibson Brands Forums

issue with my 2007 R8 - a bit of sound if both volumes are not set to 0

awel

Hi everyone,

I have an issue with my 2007 R8 Les Paul, no matter if I am on the bridge pickup and I set the bridge volume to 0, if the neck pickup volume is not set at 0 (Note that it doesn't matter if you set the neck volume to 1 or 10, the sound coming through the amp is not louder) , there is a bit of sound coming through the amp if I am playing. If I set the neck volume to 0 AND the bridge volume to 0, no sound (as expected).

The same behavior if I do the same but on the neck pickup with the volume to 0 and the bridge volume is not set to 0, a bit of sound is coming to amp.

Anyone has an idea of the cause?

Thanks

Has the wiring been modified before? I would take a look inside the control cavity and figure out what’s connected to what. On the surface look for things like shorts and even possibly broken connections and such. But overall sounds electronic in nature. Could even quite possibly have a faulty component in the way. Only way to completely verify that sometimes is to completely disconnect parts from the circuit and use a multimeter to measure them out. Maybe your pot doesn’t go down to 0 ohms... again need multimeter.  Good luck 

4 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

Has the wiring been modified before? I would take a look inside the control cavity and figure out what’s connected to what. On the surface look for things like shorts and even possibly broken connections and such. But overall sounds electronic in nature. Could even quite possibly have a faulty component in the way. Only way to completely verify that sometimes is to completely disconnect parts from the circuit and use a multimeter to measure them out. Maybe your pot doesn’t go down to 0 ohms... again need multimeter.  Good luck 

a layman's interpretation,,,  take the back off, look for anything obvious - then go to a trusted luthier who can debug the circuitry.  Wish I had the skills to do what NhC describes - but that's a bit beyond me.  At least you know it shouldn't be there, and it should be able to be fixed.

Thanks a lot for all your answers I have bought it second hand and looking it closely it seems that both volume pots have been replaced, I will ask my luthier to repair it with cts pots. This will perhaps solve a bit the issue I have with rolling down the volume to control my gain level as now if I do that the sound gets really dark but the gain stays almost the same except set on 2