Gibson Brands Forums

Pick Puzzle

J185cat

So I have been using those gray, teardrop .88mm Jim Dunlap picks for YEARS.  Use them for everything, acoustic and electric.  The other day I was in Sam Ash to pickup some odds and ends so I grabbed a pack.  Got home pulled one out and started to strum.  Wow, completely muffled sound.  Could not believe the difference and had to double check to make sure they were the same.  Upon close inspection I noticed a very thin rib of plastic all around the pick like it had not come out of the press cleanly.  So I took a knife and scrapped that rib off and bingo.  Sounds normal now.  Suppose a lot of playing time would have accomplished the same thing.  Keep picking!

I used a flatpick when I took up guitar 25 years ago but I've been a bare fingers only player for about 15 years or so.   This summer I picked up a .73 Dunlop pick I found in an old box and....I really liked the tone I was getting with my L-00.  So, I decided to learn how to hybrid pick, using flatpick-middle-ring fingers.   I'm progressing well, can do Travis picking Simon and Garfunkel pattern type songs , stuff like 'Here Comes The Sun', 'Blackbird'etc.    I'm going to keep with it I think and try to add more complex melodic fingerstyle type stuff with this style .Anyway I bought a pack of Dunlop picks that I haven't opened yet - I'll check to make sure they don't need a snip!

Edited by northcntryblues

The nylon Dunlop picks with the knurled finish in the grip area were something I had used for the longest time. However, the winding of the strings could sometimes wear into the edge, leaving it rough- but it wasn't anything that a good rapid back n' forth on a denim pant leg couldn't fix.

23 hours ago, 62burst said:

The nylon Dunlop picks with the knurled finish in the grip area were something I had used for the longest time. However, the winding of the strings could sometimes wear into the edge, leaving it rough- but it wasn't anything that a good rapid back n' forth on a denim pant leg couldn't fix.

Or keep a small square of fine grit sandpaper in your guitar case.

RBSinTo

I'm a fan of plain 'ol Jim Dunlop grey  .60mm Nylon - some years back I saw they released a gold coloured version to commemorate 50 years so I bought some - noticed the raised dimple grip was slightly more pronounced than the regular grey picks - I'm guessing the dye they use to stamp these out was much fresher.

mygOIfrl.jpg

11 hours ago, PatriotsBiker said:

Are these essentially the same as the modern-day nylon Herco picks that we had in a Hummingbird thread a few months back? Looks very similar. (colors, style)

Very similar - I just happen to have one of those Herco picks - slightly smaller and has a very pronounced ring in the grip area only on one side.

uojfJ7Xl.jpg

Edited by Brucebubs