Gibson Brands Forums

ebony fingerboards

merciful-evans

16 hours ago, rct said:

What does your physiology and poor technique do to rosewood if you don't mind me asking?

rct

eg: 1/ I bend the G downward (poor technique) this brings my nail in contact with the wood (no. cant cut them any shorter - physiology) this wears vertical ruts into the wood. It takes years, but it happens. Yes I can bend it upwards too, but get a much better vibrato doing it the 'wrong' way. Its how I've done it for 50 years.

Also, after many years, rosewood gets eroded horizontally. Deep ruts form along the lines of grain, looking like water erosion. This may be my body chemistry, but I've seen it enough times on other old guitars. So that isn't unique to me.

I noticed this 1st on my original old Yamaha acoustic after about the first 8 years. My Strat was ok. It had a maple fingerboard. My Fylde was ok. It has an ebony one.

When I replaced the Strat, it was with 2 guitars. Both had rosewood boards. I used the good one for gigs, and the cheap one for practice at home. After 18 years I had completely worn out the cheap one. It was a Washburn G5V. I took it down the scrapyard about 5 years ago. 

For this reason I wont pay more than £1000 for a rosewood FB guitar. Even then, I've got to really want it. 

I can't bang on you for your technique, what works works.  Most can't figure out what the eff I'm doing because I'm so lazy I don't do it like they do, so right on for your downward bend.

Rosewood wears like that, like water erosion, good way to say it.  Most will do it over time when you use them a lot, so right on for wear and tear.

rct

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rabs said:

I wish I still played my guitars enough to cause anything like that to happen to the boards 😞 

Hey man, I'll play 'em for ya! 🙃 . It'll only take 8 years to  look reliced.

TBH, In those days I only had a couple of guitars and they got played every day. Since 2015, I've bought a bunch. Never play the old trusty Jackson no more. Its retired. The others will see me out and still be in good shape. Well... reasonable shape        um... maybe?   depends on which of us wears out first. 

I got more fret wear on my old guitar than freboard wear. It was an LTD faux-les-paul. My Parker came with hardened stainless steel frets, and I've been gigging that guitar for a few years and it still shows no fret wear.

Guitar is my 7th instrument, so I'm sure I'm doing a lot of things wrong. I play it on about 1/3 of the songs we do, depending on the gig it could be more or less. I played bass for a few years, so the freboard wasn't exactly a stranger. Sax/wind synthesizer gets the bulk of the rest of the songs, a couple on the flute and vocals on about half our songs.

Of course that has nothing to d with ebony fretboards

For the experts in guitar maintenance: How often should I oil the fretboard?

There- back on topic.

Insights and incites by Notes

9 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

I got more fret wear on my old guitar than freboard wear. It was an LTD faux-les-paul. My Parker came with hardened stainless steel frets, and I've been gigging that guitar for a few years and it still shows no fret wear.

Guitar is my 7th instrument, so I'm sure I'm doing a lot of things wrong. I play it on about 1/3 of the songs we do, depending on the gig it could be more or less. I played bass for a few years, so the freboard wasn't exactly a stranger. Sax/wind synthesizer gets the bulk of the rest of the songs, a couple on the flute and vocals on about half our songs.

Of course that has nothing to d with ebony fretboards

For the experts in guitar maintenance: How often should I oil the fretboard?

There- back on topic.

Insights and incites by Notes

Ebony fingerboard: My oldest is about 45 years old. Its in perfect condition. I've never oiled it. I'm not saying you should or shouldn't. I'm just dispensing info. My other 3 ebony boards are also in perfect shape. I clean them occasionally with a moist microfiber cloth. 

Never used a guitar with steel frets. I think they might make a difference to the sound. I know they are great for longevity. But the prospect of leveling/crowning/polishing them fills me with dread!

9 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

<...snip,..>

Never used a guitar with steel frets. I think they might make a difference to the sound. I know they are great for longevity. But the prospect of leveling/crowning/polishing them fills me with dread!

They came perfect from the factory, and I hope they stay that way.

Guitar is my 7th instrument, and I still have a lot to learn. I'll leave anything other than simple maintenance to a guitar tech.

13 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

They came perfect from the factory, and I hope they stay that way.

Guitar is my 7th instrument, and I still have a lot to learn. I'll leave anything other than simple maintenance to a guitar tech.

They should do. It should be v difficult to put much wear into stainless steel. If they are even, that's everything you need.