Gibson Brands Forums

Holy Explorer

Mr. Robot

Why pay $2,775 (2038 euros) for half of a guitar? You can get a whole one with less money. But I'm really curious; how would it sound compared to a regular Explorer? Maybe no one will ever know... (just kidding, wtv...)

Why pay $2' date='775 (2038 euros) for half of a guitar? You can get a whole one with less money. But I'm really curious; how would it sound compared to a regular Explorer? Maybe no one will ever know... (just kidding, wtv...)[/quote']

i think that it has a short sustain (ther isn't half of wood then a regulare X, more or less) and...i don't wanna know anymore about this sick guitar....it can be like a destroyed car =P~

I agree with the comments here. What I cant understand' date=' is why Gibson spends time producing something like this, while they wind back on the production range of their classics. It defies belief.[/quote']

Meh...I was wondering the same thing till like a week ago. It ain't worth giving a mind why they do what they do. They'll do it whether we ***** about it or say nothing. I'll just get back to my Dremel and soldering training, I've got a couple of cheap guitars I'll try and refinish. Then I don't care. As long as they don't discontinue all their classic models (SGs, Explorers, Flying Vs, Melody Makers), I couldn't care less anymore if they decide to put out guitars that tune themselves, play themselves, guitars that have overly tacky graphics or I don't know. But I will take the chance to ridicule these guitars and their poor taste.

One love

Meh...I was wondering the same thing till like a week ago. It ain't worth giving a mind why they do what they do. They'll do it whether we ***** about it or say nothing. I'll just get back to my Dremel and soldering training' date=' I've got a couple of cheap guitars I'll try and refinish. Then I don't care. As long as they don't discontinue all their classic models (SGs, Explorers, Flying Vs, Melody Makers), I couldn't care less anymore if they decide to put out guitars that tune themselves, play themselves, guitars that have overly tacky graphics or I don't know. But I will take the chance to ridicule these guitars and their poor taste.

One love[/quote']

So well said =D> The only risk though, is that they go broke because they are not sticking to their core business during a recession. Surely they would sell a gloss cherry LP Special before they would sell one of these ugly monsters. But you cant buy a cherry LP Special any more - or a white Les Paul Studio.

So well said =D> The only risk though' date=' is that they go broke because they are not sticking to their core business during a recession. Surely they would sell a gloss cherry LP Special before they would sell one of these ugly monsters. But you cant buy a cherry LP Special any more - or a white Les Paul Studio.[/quote']

honestly, at the start of march I was looking for a classic white studio (white w/gold hardware)..

Gibson should remake the 84 explorer, not those ugly models...i realla wanna see who is the mad man who bought a holy V or a holy X ](*,)

So well said =P~ The only risk though' date=' is that they go broke because they are not sticking to their core business during a recession. Surely they would sell a gloss cherry LP Special before they would sell one of these ugly monsters. But you cant buy a cherry LP Special any more - or a white Les Paul Studio.[/quote']

honestly, at the start of march I was looking for a classic white studio (white w/gold hardware)..

Gibson should remake the 84 explorer, not those ugly models...i realla wanna see who is the mad man who bought a holy V or a holy X =P~

So well said =P~ The only risk though' date=' is that they go broke because they are not sticking to their core business during a recession. Surely they would sell a gloss cherry LP Special before they would sell one of these ugly monsters. But you cant buy a cherry LP Special any more - or a white Les Paul Studio.[/quote']

I've mentioned it before on another thread. Gibson is one the most respectable names when it comes to electric guitars. It has a large legacy behind it and Gibson's been there before. I think it was around 1985-1986 when Gibson went bankrupt and the guys who own it today bought it. Maybe that'll happen again. No offense to the guys who own it today, after all I don't think that they're all bad and all, but maybe if the company goes bankrupt again, the next ones who'll acquire it, will have more brains (yes, I know, the exact opposite could happen, but I try to be positive).

Maybe the forum weasels should start doing their jobs, and report back our reactions. Maybe the website weasels should check the comments every once in a while (after all that's the point, for getting feedback and not for us having a place to just express our dislike).

i realla wanna see who is the mad man who bought a holy V or a holy X =P~

They'll never reveal themselves, they're ashamed of what they did (just kidding you guys...)

Anyways, I hope what I just wrote makes sense, I don't know, I'm too tired and it just seems like a waste to write all this and then just not post it, whatever... =P~=P~=P~

One love

My understanding is that with these limited run guitars the quoted number being made is a maximum. If it doesnt sell they dont make the full run so they dont lose too much money.

I guess these unpopular guitars are the end result of the policy of Guitar of the month/guitar of the week etc. It is hard to come up with something new all the time.

The good thing (for collectors) is that unpopular designs eventually become very rare collectibles so, perversely, the less popular the design is when new, the more valuable it may end up being.

My understanding is that with these limited run guitars the quoted number being made is a maximum. If it doesnt sell they dont make the full run so they dont lose too much money.

I guess these unpopular guitars are the end result of the policy of Guitar of the month/guitar of the week etc. It is hard to come up with something new all the time.

The good thing (for collectors) is that unpopular designs eventually become very rare collectibles so' date=' perversely, the less popular the design is when new, the more valuable it may end up being.[/quote']

I thought they made the whole bunch of the limited run and just spread it to stores. There's a store in Germany from which I buy my guitars from, that still has some Gibson SG Special w/3 Single Coil pups (Week #30) models in stock.

Totally agree that these guitars are for collectors or for people that cr..p money and don't care about rare instruments and all that (if such people exist).

But still, they Limited Run series pretty much sucks so far. Just my opinion, but there were some awesome "Guitar of the Week" and "Guitar of the Month" models.

One love

I squinted at it for a while and then decided that I rather liked it.

And then I realized why -- it's nearly a perfect fit for someone who's got a room full of Mission Oak furniture (google it). You could set it on a Mission Oak chair and it would disappear.

Next Up: The Holy Les Paul (*braces himself*). You KNOW it's coming. Sure enough, they're gonna drill holes in one of the best solid body guitars ever....

Wait.

They already DO?

I thought they made the whole bunch of the limited run and just spread it to stores. There's a store in Germany from which I buy my guitars from' date=' that still has some Gibson SG Special w/3 Single Coil pups (Week #30) models in stock.

Totally agree that these guitars are for collectors or for people that cr..p money and don't care about rare instruments and all that (if such people exist).

But still, they Limited Run series pretty much sucks so far. Just my opinion, but there were some awesome "Guitar of the Week" and "Guitar of the Month" models.

One love[/quote']

I have a GOW Explorer and it is pretty nice, the full pickguard looks better than the half p/g...

and you have a 3 single SG...ah, how does it sounds? +:-@

I have a GOW Explorer and it is pretty nice' date=' the full pickguard looks better than the half p/g...

and you have a 3 single SG...ah, how does it sounds? :D [/quote']

Umm... the store has the SG, not me... But my birthday is getting close, and if I save enough money, and they still have the SG in stock after the university exams in July, I might go for it! Kudos on the Explorer tho!

Umm... the store has the SG' date=' not me... But my birthday is getting close, and if I save enough money, and they still have the SG in stock after the university exams in July, I might go for it! Kudos on the Explorer tho![/quote']

Kudos? Tho? in english -or italian- what does they mean?? =P~

i sayed you have the SG 3 PU because i read it on your signature, so I thought you have it ^^

Kudos? Tho? in english -or italian- what does they mean?? =P~

i sayed you have the SG 3 PU because i read it on your signature' date=' so I thought you have it ^^[/quote']

Oh that SG. That SG I do have! You said 3 single SG and I thought that you thought that I had the GOW SG w/3 Single Coil pups. Um, tho = though, and kudos is kinda like a praise for something you did (in your case, for buying the GOW Explorer). And to answer your question, the SG (3 humbuckers, not single coils) plays like a dream even through me sh!tty amp. The neck is a little beefy, which I just love and I'll install a Kahler 7200 pretty soon.

One love star

Archived