Gibson Brands Forums

Looking to build my first guitar from scratch

Dub-T-123

The weather was good and I got pretty much all of my spraying done on the Jr.  I also drilled the tuner and tailpiece holes 

I think just one more round of wet sanding and a final coat and it’s good to go. Still haven’t gotten a decal or painted the headstock face black yet. The finish that I sprayed today looks and feels really good in person though.

I’m oiling my Tele neck right now but here’s a pic of my buddy Carlos’ Tele neck from the same piece of wood but with just clear nitro

XGxJ9Aa.jpg

pGt9eDd.jpg

Ok guys it’s official.. the Jr will be complete someday.

Lots more finish work today and I’m happy with everything but obviously it’s taking some time! I’m going to try to post a short video that shows the chatoyance a bit. So if it works pay attention to how the colors change depending on the viewing angle of the wood grain. It almost looks like the red is blotchy but it’s the grain 

OeVupxm.mp4

• Thanks 1

Today I also stripped all the tru oil from the Tele neck and shellac’d it. Sorry Rabs! That’s not because I don’t like tru oil, I just missed a couple scratches that I needed to sand out. I made a fresh batch of shellac the other night so that was a better choice for me vs the un-thinned tru oil at the time

Here is a pic of my Tele neck, sealed in shellac but not coated with lacquer. Since this pic was taken I pretty much finished the neck minus the decal and final sanding/polishing. 

YG90QmM.jpg

Then I played around with mixing the color for the Tele body but that didn’t come out too hot. The green dye didn’t dissolve all that well and I needed to strain it out better. The other problem was a mean case of fisheye because I didn’t seal the pine enough. Fisheye on a color coat = basura 

25 minutes ago, Dub-T-123 said:

Here’s the Link maybe that will work. Not missing much anyways if it doesn’t work

Yup that worked..  Looks just how it should as far as I am concerned..  Really nice...  Love it when the wood does that. [thumbup]

Yeah, you have a metal base plate on that pickup, like they used to do with all of them.  I get a copper base and solder the ground to that, keeps me from soldering on that stupid bridge, grounds the whole mess through the screws.  Like they used to.

rct

Got the Tele all green and the color coat sealed. Just need to scrape the binding and then finish the clear. The color looks cool in person. 
WZ7L9IQ.jpg

Here’s a little test of my binding scraper tool which gives a little sneak peek what it will look like with the binding all scraped 

ZSSWL6D.jpg

• Like 1

And the Jr is finally pretty much done. I’m just gonna do the face of the headstock now but the rest of the finish is done and I’m really happy with it. Lighting was kinda bad for pics where I had it hanging but it looks awesome. The finish is nice and thin and flat and just barely sinks into the grain like on a Gibson

LGtAIw4.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks, I can’t wait either 😛 I’ll definitely post some sounds at some point  

I just glued up a body blank for the next one yesterday 

quEY79c.jpg

The plan is to use the double cut template again on this one. I’m thinking Floyd rose and single humbucker. I might go full 80s style and do a hockey stick type headstock . Once I get the Floyd rose in I’m gonna do a little sample mounting so I can figure out the neck angle

Thanks for reminding me. Just ordered some decals from Rothko and Frost. They’re kinda lame stock designs but I’ll have to make something better eventually. 

You know I’m hooked and how I feel lol. I’m having a blast and can’t wait for the next one and the ones after that

28 minutes ago, Dub-T-123 said:

Thanks for reminding me. Just ordered some decals from Rothko and Frost. They’re kinda lame stock designs but I’ll have to make something better eventually. 

You know I’m hooked and how I feel lol. I’m having a blast and can’t wait for the next one and the ones after that

Thats very cool..  I am glad someone else on here has given it a go..  A lot of people tell me how talented I am to build guitars and as I have said, its not that no talent or skill is needed, but its not exactly rocket science either 🙂   And its fun..

Rothko and Frost really do the best decals..  I have been getting off them for years now and I have even seen videos of luthiers in Australia who order from them too.. 

I think the Jr will be strung and wired up by the end of this weekend. I still haven’t gotten the decals in the mail or painted the headstock black. It will hardly be more work at all to remove the strings and tuners when I’m ready to finish the headstock so I figured I’d keep moving forward. 

Since I installed the tailpiece today I was able to confirm that the neck angle is good. That has me even more excited because I think this is actually coming out as a very playable guitar. I think I will know tomorrow

btw mind the fact that the fretboard has been sanded and cleaned and hasn’t been oiled so looks lighter than it will. It is actually a super nice piece of rosewood but looks pale in this lighting/state relative to how it will look when finished 

H6VGaDl.jpg

• Like 2