Gibson Brands Forums

Looking to build my first guitar from scratch

The guitar building quest continued a bit today 😛

I made a neck blank for the Floyd rose double cut build I’m planning. It’s a 5 piece flame maple/walnut thing. This is sortof the same idea as the first build where I didn’t have a large enough single piece that was appropriate for a neck blank. I want to spin that disadvantage into something that can be seen as a positive and I think the 5 piece neck will be really nice. 

I wasted a lot of time trying out different ideas to thickness the walnut without a drum sander. In the end I just spray glued the walnut pieces to a piece of plywood and ran it through a planer, then cleaned the glue off with acetone. 

I also cut the body out today but didn’t take a pic of that. 

also also.. when I got home tonight I got the Rothko and Frost decals in the mail but I’m pretty disappointed. The decals all have seams in them and look pretty unusable. I basically paid $40 for trash. Probably won’t buy from them again.  

FouyapO.jpg

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The glass idea is cool but I don’t know anything about working with glass! That’s not an avenue I’d want to go down right now but if someone gave me a glass pickguard I’d be stoked. Another idea is me

This thing is more guitar-like than ever. Neck shaping is done and I’m super super happy with how that turned out. I did my best to copy the neck on my R9 and I think I did a pretty nice job. It feels

Haha the luthier version of GAS sums it up perfectly! Not sure I can call myself a luthier just yet though I ended up having too much fun with the Jr after I strung it up. Incidentally that shoul

Thats sad to hear about the decals.  But I am not sure what you mean by seams?  

All of the decals I have got have always been great even though in saying that maybe they have changed the way they do it which would be a shame.

And yeah, I have done some three piece necks before.. Not a 5 piece one though, but not for any reason, just another thing to do one day.. Even after all these years theres still loads of things I want to try.

They have this disclaimer on their site. 

Please note: We print using ribbons and there is a visible line where the ribbons meet in some designs. On most decals this is not noticeable. The effect is more pronounced on larger blocks of metallic colour.

I’m not sure how much will translate in my pic but it looks worse in person. There’s something wrong with the top edge of the capital “T” in their Gibson type font and the lines from the seams appear visible from any angle in person 

xriYnUt.jpg

I don’t think the clear coat will do anything to hide the seams but should do a test before I complain. Maybe it’s small enough that I’m the only person who would ever notice anyways. What do you think?

30 minutes ago, Dub-T-123 said:

Please note: We print using ribbons and there is a visible line where the ribbons meet in some designs. On most decals this is not noticeable. The effect is more pronounced on larger blocks of metallic colour.

I’m not sure how much will translate in my pic but it looks worse in person. There’s something wrong with the top edge of the capital “T” in their Gibson type font and the lines from the seams appear visible from any angle in person 

I don’t think the clear coat will do anything to hide the seams but should do a test before I complain. Maybe it’s small enough that I’m the only person who would ever notice anyways. What do you think?

I'm not very fussy about detail at all, but I wouldn't be happy with that. You make all this effort only to be let down at the decal stage.

41 minutes ago, Dub-T-123 said:

Yeah I can see what you mean.. That is disappointing....  My experience with Rothko and Frost has been odd over the years. I think they had a third party guy doing it. I used to mail him directly when I wanted decals but then I got mails from R&F asking me to make sure I order through them..

At that point the decals were like £9 each.. Expensive but all sort of part of the cost... The last time I ordered from them I think I paid like £25 and they sent me a sheet of 30 of them?? It was very odd.

But as I say that was years ago now and I havent ordered anything since. I get the impression they have someone else doing the decals now and obviously no where near as good as they were.. I will have to have a look at that last sheet they sent me but I dont remember seeing any issues like that.

Actually after my last post I had to pop over to my mums to sort some stuff and thats where I keep a lot of my guitar stuff.. So I went and looked at the decals..  Not 30 of them, 16..  But still cheap compared to what they were charging at one point.. But no lines in the print at all

i9psAes.jpg

Also possibly of interest.. I popped in to the wood shop yesterday and grabbed this London plane neck blank...  Nice, such beautiful wood.

wP8TiFr.jpg

jiFFMhK.jpg

blqmXkw.jpg

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Dub-T-123 said:

Very cool Rabs. What are you planning for the next one?

Probably an all London Plane DC...  I have been waiting to find the flekyest piece possible for the body  🙂 

18 hours ago, Rabs said:

Probably an all London Plane DC...  I have been waiting to find the flekyest piece possible for the body  🙂 

The Wizard of Walthamstow is back in action!!! [thumbup]

• Haha 1

Hey Uncle Fester. I didn’t touch the Tele body last weekend because I’m a bit frustrated with scraping the binding to be honest and just feel more like working with wood right now. 

I’m definitely gonna try out the decal on the Tele neck today but I’m not sure if I’m feeling like messing with the binding on the body today. 

I put the decal on the Tele neck today and I like it overall but I’m still not happy with the quality of the metallic printing on the Rothko and Frost decals. I’ll probably keep it on the Tele but I don’t think I’ll use the ones I have for the double cuts so I’m probably back to square one on that

0qfnRR9.jpg

On neck #3 today I cut the truss rod channel, headstock angle, and rough side profile. I also thicknessed the playing area of the neck using the MDF jig that is visible in the pic (it tapers down in height)

In this pic you see how bad the bandsaw blade has gotten lol. Somebody used the bandsaw for something at shop that really blunted the blade but the burnt parts are all cut away by the router in the next step so it doesn’t really matter. I smell like a bonfire though. 

also.. I cut the truss rod channel about 1/32” off center and it looks really apparent in this pic because of the walnut stripes. This is all covered up and close enough to not matter at all but yeah I realize it’s a little off center lol

forgot to take a pic after the following router work but I think I got all the most figured parts of the maple in the neck and it’s going to look insane when it’s done

W2EMrPh.jpg

Hey guys. I had to take my truck into the mechanic so no guitar work this weekend sadly. 

I do have a question though.. for the past couple months or so I’ve been looking for an original German Floyd Rose in black nickel, nickel, chrome, or even black finish. They seem to be affected by COVID because I haven’t seen the German model in stock ANYWHERE (only the Floyd Rose website has a couple but not in finishes I can use)

If anyone knows where I can buy a right handed original German Floyd Rose in a “normal” finish please let me know

On 2/21/2021 at 7:44 PM, Dub-T-123 said:

xriYnUt.jpg

I was thinking.. Did you actually contact Rothko and Frost about this issue..  As I say, all the decals I have had have never had this issue..  May be worth sending them that picture I dont thnk its normal from them..  They may just decide to replace it for you?

Hey Rabs. I did and they told me that the problem should disappear under lacquer. I tried their advice and of course it did not help so I contacted them again. They refunded me but said that they have hundreds of customers who don’t have problems with the lines in the decals.

I appreciated the refund and understand their logic but they are just wrong about the clear coat hiding flaws of this nature. It would be like if you scratched a metallic coat and thought spraying a clear coat would make the scratch disappear. It can be made flat on the surface but the scratch will still be visible 

41 minutes ago, Dub-T-123 said:

Hey Rabs. I did and they told me that the problem should disappear under lacquer. I tried their advice and of course it did not help so I contacted them again. They refunded me but said that they have hundreds of customers who don’t have problems with the lines in the decals.

I appreciated the refund and understand their logic but they are just wrong about the clear coat hiding flaws of this nature. It would be like if you scratched a metallic coat and thought spraying a clear coat would make the scratch disappear. It can be made flat on the surface but the scratch will still be visible 

Ohh well.. At least you didnt really lose out on it, but yes very disappointing really for a company with such a great reputation for decals... Ahh, what can you do huh...

I have printed my own actually.. It does work but the issue is that I can never seem to find that really thin decal sheet they use.. The ones I have tried in the past are that much thicker that it really makes a difference.

I agree Rabs! It was nice of them to give me a refund despite the disclaimer though

I gotta say this weekend felt incredibly long and incomplete without working on my guitar projects. I’m tearing it up in PUBG but feeling like a bit of a loser 😛

On 2/16/2021 at 9:33 PM, Dub-T-123 said:

The glass idea is cool but I don’t know anything about working with glass! That’s not an avenue I’d want to go down right now but if someone gave me a glass pickguard I’d be stoked. Another idea is metal.

here’s a pic of the guitar strung and wired up. I used a CTS “vintage taper” 500K volume pot, CTS log taper 250K tone pot, and an NOS PIO Russian .022uF cap I’ve had laying in the parts drawer forever. The pickup is a Lollar P90 and the bridge is a (stupidly expensive but beautiful) “mojo axe” intonated wraparound 

JkLTfL1.jpg

I haven't been on here in awhile but it looks excellent Dub. 

Back at it and it was a fun day. I rounded over the body and sanded it. I went with a 1/4” round over this time.

YZ43ffb.jpg

I did some work on the back of the neck/headstock on the spindle sander, cut the truss rod access cavity, and glued maple filler strips into the truss rod channel. I also glued on the headstock wings which is not shown in the photo

1wxU9Fw.jpg

I cut the fretboard to size, inlayed the front and side, and installed frets today. This time I put PVA glue in the fret slots before pressing the frets in

QTpOF9D.jpg

The Tele neck got more clear coats over the decal but my boss accidentally stuck his thumb in the finish while it was wet lol. So next week we have more wet sanding and clear coating on that

Nice...  All looking good..

Just one thing.. We are still waiting for a final pic of the first build yet  🙂

You are just like most of us who do this either for a hobby or a living..  Cant seem to focus on one build at a time  😄 Its perfectly normal from what I have seen... Its like the luthier version of GAS.

I still have loads of stuff I want to try yet.  

Haha the luthier version of GAS sums it up perfectly! Not sure I can call myself a luthier just yet though

I ended up having too much fun with the Jr after I strung it up. Incidentally that should work out well because it allowed me to make a lot of critical observations which I will apply to the following builds. 

I’m still gonna strip it back down to finish the headstock and give the whole thing a proper wet sanding and polishing but here it is at the moment

S6xfKev.jpg

• Like 3