Gibson Brands Forums

Looking to build my first guitar from scratch

Dub-T-123

I don't think I know or care what the roundover is.  A little channel going towards the butt of the guitar, on the treble side of the bridge pickup route helps get a decent ground wire into the pickup area and out.  If you put your finger up under the bridge there isn't a lot of room to get one in there.  Not a big deal at all, most don't even care.

rct

My build is gonna be grounded through the bridge pickup plate/bridge. I don’t plan on using a non Tele style bridge pickup but I can see why you’d obviously want a separate ground wire if using a different bridge pickup setup. If I did that I’d probably be re routing the pickup cavity in general though 

uaYrX2l.jpg
q0RSrYC.jpg

I’m really excited about how this is gonna look. The neck came out really great too. I checked it with my profile gauge against my warmoth boatneck and mine came out almost identical but with slightly less shoulders. Which is pretty much exactly what I wanted so that’s nice. Should be great 

• Like 1

Nice one...  And yes this is what I mean when I say about while building a guitar isnt rocket science, you do need a bit of experience to know what you want and what you dont and trying out some different techniques to get the results you want.

Good stuff [thumbup]

Thanks bud! Have you had a chance to start on that silky plank you posted a couple pages back? 

btw Rabs look at this.. I got a nice Lie Nielsen low angle block plane with some “stimulus” cash. Just came in the mail yesterday. Here are the shavings from while I was adjusting the blade. It is so nice 

yFm6crZ.jpg

4 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

Thanks bud! Have you had a chance to start on that silky plank you posted a couple pages back? 

btw Rabs look at this.. I got a nice Lie Nielsen low angle block plane with some “stimulus” cash. Just came in the mail yesterday. Here are the shavings from while I was adjusting the blade. It is so nice 

yFm6crZ.jpg

Cool..  There is nothing like working with a really sharp well set up blade  🙂 It s so satisfying..   Like a sharp chisel too. Just a pleasure to use.. My issue is I never really got good at sharpening.. 

Nah, I dont know whats wrong with me.. I really want to start building again but it just doesnt happen. At the moment I am still dealing with stuff from my dads estate which is the most painful complicated thing I have ever been involved with..  Hopefully soon.. Also I am waiting for the timber place to get some more 50mm London Plane in for the body. 

30 minutes ago, Dub-T-123 said:

Do you have a honing guide? 

I’m really looking forward to your next build and hoping your next projects bring you some much needed peace

No I dont have one.. I do know the theory behind it, I am usually just to excited to get on with the building to sharpen things 🙂   And yes that means I have bought loads of chisels over the years..... 

And, yes.. Soon now.. All of that stuff will be over and I can finally move on.. Sounds harsh when I say it like that but enough is enough with this crap... Its also partly cos I have two older sisters who do very little and make the decision making very difficult. Anyway.. Totally different subject there..  🙂  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My black Tele body got damaged by a coworker while it was drying in a storage room at the shop. It was all ready for the final wet sand and polish and assembly this weekend so this is an especially irritating setback. I’m just gonna keep striving for perfection on it

3 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

My black Tele body got damaged by a coworker while it was drying in a storage room at the shop. It was all ready for the final wet sand and polish and assembly this weekend so this is an especially irritating setback. I’m just gonna keep striving for perfection on it

Ahh man, thats a shame..  But crap happens...  What you gonna do 🙂 And yes.  Get it right or anything that you dont like will just annoy you in the long run. Better to just get how you want it...

What about the DC? Wheres that at?

• 2 weeks later...

Rabs I haven’t touched either DC except playing the first one. I was spending my time on the black Tele build which is almost ready to put together. 

I’ve got one small easy touch up on the back and some buffing and the body will be ready

tqzh9GX.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you Rabs! The heel shape was really an accident on the spindle sander but I didn’t want to accept that so I modified it into a more pleasing shape lol

I like how that accident turned out because I also like the neck mounting ferrules

1 hour ago, Dub-T-123 said:

This is a pretty bad pic but the body is all polished up and I couldn’t be happier with the finish. Just need to polish up the neck and then it’s ready for assembly/electronics/setup

AHKrYsV.jpg

Lovely.. That neck looks awesome.. Perfect flaming...  Very nice sir   [thumbup]

I intend to start getting going soon with my builds. In fact next Tuesday I am doing some servicing for a client who I did some work for a few years back..  Need something to get me back in to things since the last lockdown.  

On 3/14/2021 at 5:23 PM, Dub-T-123 said:

Haha the luthier version of GAS sums it up perfectly! Not sure I can call myself a luthier just yet though

I ended up having too much fun with the Jr after I strung it up. Incidentally that should work out well because it allowed me to make a lot of critical observations which I will apply to the following builds. 

I’m still gonna strip it back down to finish the headstock and give the whole thing a proper wet sanding and polishing but here it is at the moment

S6xfKev.jpg

Beautiful Dub, Love the red. 

Thanks Rabs! I can’t wait to see another one of your classic threads 🙂

I think you’d like how I’ve done the finish on the Tele neck. (Inspired by my 2008 Am Std Tele) I sanded the whole thing flat up to 1200 grit, then masked off the headstock face and buffed it to a high gloss. So from the front it looks high gloss and on the back you have a super smooth satin feel

My tuners are installed, my nut is roughly cut. I’m going to string her up and do the basic setup work before I add the electronics. Reason being that I have truss rod adjustment access in the heel so it will be easy to adjust while the guitar is strung up if I don’t install the pickguard 

1 hour ago, Dub-T-123 said:

Thanks Rabs! I can’t wait to see another one of your classic threads 🙂

I think you’d like how I’ve done the finish on the Tele neck. (Inspired by my 2008 Am Std Tele) I sanded the whole thing flat up to 1200 grit, then masked off the headstock face and buffed it to a high gloss. So from the front it looks high gloss and on the back you have a super smooth satin feel

Yes totally..  I have thought satin necks are better for a while now.. Certainly since I got my 2011 Tribute Goldtop..  Feels so much nicer. I usually put only like two coats of oil on my necks.. One to seal the wood and an extra one for added durability... The body gets more like 10-15 coats...

I am going to try and push myself a bit this week. We will see what actually happens  🙂 

• 4 weeks later...