Gibson Brands Forums

Looking to build my first guitar from scratch

Thanks for reminding me. Just ordered some decals from Rothko and Frost. They’re kinda lame stock designs but I’ll have to make something better eventually. 

You know I’m hooked and how I feel lol. I’m having a blast and can’t wait for the next one and the ones after that

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The glass idea is cool but I don’t know anything about working with glass! That’s not an avenue I’d want to go down right now but if someone gave me a glass pickguard I’d be stoked. Another idea is me

This thing is more guitar-like than ever. Neck shaping is done and I’m super super happy with how that turned out. I did my best to copy the neck on my R9 and I think I did a pretty nice job. It feels

All I heard was "I know how to make a guitar from scratch, but I'm incapable of folding a blanket".  🤨

28 minutes ago, Dub-T-123 said:

Thanks for reminding me. Just ordered some decals from Rothko and Frost. They’re kinda lame stock designs but I’ll have to make something better eventually. 

You know I’m hooked and how I feel lol. I’m having a blast and can’t wait for the next one and the ones after that

Thats very cool..  I am glad someone else on here has given it a go..  A lot of people tell me how talented I am to build guitars and as I have said, its not that no talent or skill is needed, but its not exactly rocket science either 🙂   And its fun..

Rothko and Frost really do the best decals..  I have been getting off them for years now and I have even seen videos of luthiers in Australia who order from them too.. 

I think the Jr will be strung and wired up by the end of this weekend. I still haven’t gotten the decals in the mail or painted the headstock black. It will hardly be more work at all to remove the strings and tuners when I’m ready to finish the headstock so I figured I’d keep moving forward. 

Since I installed the tailpiece today I was able to confirm that the neck angle is good. That has me even more excited because I think this is actually coming out as a very playable guitar. I think I will know tomorrow

btw mind the fact that the fretboard has been sanded and cleaned and hasn’t been oiled so looks lighter than it will. It is actually a super nice piece of rosewood but looks pale in this lighting/state relative to how it will look when finished 

H6VGaDl.jpg

• Like 2

Very awesome job Dub - now, all you have to do  is relic the crap out of it and market it as a faithful copy of a Junior home build by a dude back in 1959  getting instruction, advice and encouragement from people he never met via some weird pen pal system. Henry J would love the concept! [thumbup]

Thanks guys!

that sounds like a solid idea, Scales. I just need Slash to buy one then I’m set 😛

For reals though, I don’t plan on building copies forever. I have virtually no idea what I’m going to do but I can’t wait for the first “original” build 

I kind of don't like wooden pickguards because the function of the pickguards is to protect the wood.  Just one opinion, go with your gut.   You could easily sell that if you don't use it.  It came out really nice. 

The other guitar I would definitely be happy with just as it is.  It's going to look great with all the hardware and strings on. 

That was my thought as well. I figure the maple is hard enough to hold up to the pick but the finish will end up flaking off the guard at some point. The other thing is that I think it might look better with the grain running vertically 

thanks for the input and kind words

I slotted/shaped a bone nut and got strings on the Jr today. I’m super happy with how it plays! I just played it for about an hour and a half and it even stays in tune on the first “setup”

Gonna button up the electronics now

• Thanks 2
On 2/14/2021 at 11:40 AM, Dub-T-123 said:

mEeGgAj.jpg

Can't get this idea out of my head.  What if you cut a piece of Corning Gorilla Glass to that same shape and lay that across the top?  I think that might be expensive though and I don't know how easy it would be to cut that stuff. 

The glass idea is cool but I don’t know anything about working with glass! That’s not an avenue I’d want to go down right now but if someone gave me a glass pickguard I’d be stoked. Another idea is metal.

here’s a pic of the guitar strung and wired up. I used a CTS “vintage taper” 500K volume pot, CTS log taper 250K tone pot, and an NOS PIO Russian .022uF cap I’ve had laying in the parts drawer forever. The pickup is a Lollar P90 and the bridge is a (stupidly expensive but beautiful) “mojo axe” intonated wraparound 

JkLTfL1.jpg

• Like 4

My last few pics haven’t been great cause I’ve been getting home from work when the sun is about down. When I get this all polished up and everything I’ll post better pics. It plays great though I’ve been playing it quite a bit 

That really looks the business man.. Well done.. Much better result than my first build =D>

I always use PIO caps too in my builds. I have no way to prove it one way or another and it may all be in my head but I am sure you get a much warmer sound with them.

Thanks man! I couldn’t be happier with the first build so far. I’m just so excited that everything pretty much came together the way I wanted. I’ve got a little different idea for how I’m gonna build the second double cut with the Floyd rose and whatnot and I’m really excited about that one. 

Well things are a bit different these days. Sooo many videos and tools available, plus in my own defence that was the first wood work I have ever done since school so it was quite a learning curve...  Second build was playable but I wasnt that happy with it.. It was my third build that was the one. And I sold that last year too 🙂 The guy is very happy with it..

You should try a fancy cap and chamber it out a bit..  I have done that but not done an F hole yet.. That will be on my next build when I eventually get around to it.... At some point.. Im sure  😄 

But none of that is to put down what you have achieved there..  Really excellent job..  Now you can have any guitar you want [thumbup]  (im still happy with my 336 purchase though :rolleyes: ).

Like  (now I am really going to tempt you)

Curly Ambrosia maple drop top / lam top for electric guitar AMT14E | eBay

SPALTED FIDDLEBACK MAPLE electric guitar drop top luthier #103 spf-EMA egdt | eBay

Quilted maple guitar drop top. 3A figure | eBay

Bubing, African rosewood 1/4 sawn bookmatched guitar drop top, beautiful figure. | eBay

I will tell you what though.. In just having a quick look it seems the prices for this sort of wood especially the flamed maple has shot up since I last looked for US wood. You can still find some interesting stuff though.

Edited by Rabs

I took the guitar over to jam with my little brother tonight so I finally got to check it out with an amp and pedals. I am so freaking happy about this right now. Hopefully it’s not clouding my judgement but the pickup sounds so good and it actually kinda plays really well!

Thanks man! Your last posts didn’t go unnoticed. I’ve been really busy recently 

definitely really curious about pretty much everything you mentioned 😛 namely the chambering/semi hollow and bookmatched tops

here’s the thing. I wanna do a top like that but if I do that I’m gonna want binding. I’m finding the binding on the Tele to be a pain in the *** with scraping the color coat. If the binding were on a natural finish it would be really easy. 

as it stands for the next build I’m thinking simple round over on the body and 5 piece maple/walnut neck. Maybe paint the body black and leave the neck natural.