Gibson Brands Forums

Not so newbee questions

Slogold

This will be the first time I'm gonna mess up with the TR of my LP.

I just want to get rid of a slight buzz on the high E string.

Question:

1. Should the guitar be in full tension (E Tuned) or do I need to loosen the strings?

2. Is this a instant gratification where I can see the result right away?

3. What else should I need to do after messing up with the TR besides retuning the guitar?

4. Should I bring it to a tech just for this?

Thanks All=d>

1. I've never heard about this.

2. No, most recommend letting it sit for a while (different times for different folks, some say an hour, some say 24 hours or even 48 hours) to test results

3. You will most definitely need to adjust intonation as well, and possibly bridge height

4. If you have this many important questions, my recommendation would be to take it to a tech and let them do it, but ask if you can watch and learn.

4. If you have this many important questions' date=' my recommendation would be to take it to a tech and let them do it, but ask if you can watch and learn.

[/quote']

I lost my trust in one of the Luther here in area when I asked him if I can watch while he's

setting up my guitar. So as much as possible I want to tackle this by me self.

When's the last time you strung the guitar?

String it up, making SURE not to move the bridge support thumbwheels.

Tune to standard E, see whatcha got.

As stated, raise the treble side slightly to see if the problem goes away.

If you still feel the truss rod needs to be loosened, go 1/8th turn only.

Under tension is fine, be patient.

Results should largely be immediate.

My luthier looks at string height variation along the neck while pressing in the second and fourteenth fret.

It's a very subtle thing that he does along with his decades of experience, I don't even try to do my own set ups now.

I think I have it right, then I'm not so sure.

Adjust and play again, I dunno....

Take it to him and ten minutes later it's as close to perfect as it can get.

That's good enough for my lame playing skills.

As far as time after making a truss adjustment I hear people talk about all sorts of crazy times. I've never had to wait for a mechanical adjustment to work. The only reason to wait is if you have to make a drastic adjustment you should give the neck time to rest between 1/8th turns. But not long.

As far as time after making a truss adjustment I hear people talk about all sorts of crazy times. I've never had to wait for a mechanical adjustment to work. The only reason to wait is if you have to make a drastic adjustment you should give the neck time to rest between 1/8th turns. But not long.

After tightening or loosening the truss rod, I always give the neck a good whack from behind the neck with the heel of my hand. Then I check it with a straight edge. Then I tune it back to pitch (half step flat in my case) and play it. You ain't gonna break it. But adjusting it in small increments is preferred.

Archived