Gibson Brands Forums

Replacement Pickguard for 2004 SG Standard

tbonesullivan

So, I picked up a 2004 standard used in Natural burst. It's in nice shape, but the pickguard got quite chewed up by previous owners. I looked around for an original Gibson one, but those are very hard to find, and also there may have been changes since 2004.

I looked at the usual aftermarket makers, and they don't really specify WHICH SG pickguard is the correct one.  Any advice?

Looks like I can get OEM ones from the stratosphere.  If it was a non-standard pickguard, I'd do the tracing thing, but this one comes complete with new screws too.  The guitar unfortunately has been exposed to smoke, so I'm doing a full hardware off clean and swirl removal and putting on a new PG. This is the guitar in question. It sounds awesome and plays awesome, but it doesn't smell awesome, yet.

sgnat01.jpg

yous got da Batwing pickguard!!  Nice SG, love that natural burst!  that was my first pick in 2012 when I bought standard, but I was impatient and they weren't in stock..

take care with that stand, some of them will eat nitro for lunch.  Can't really see if that's one of the ones that will.

1 hour ago, kidblast said:

yous got da Batwing pickguard!!  Nice SG, love that natural burst!  that was my first pick in 2012 when I bought standard, but I was impatient and they weren't in stock..take care with that stand, some of them will eat nitro for lunch.  Can't really see if that's one of the ones that will. 

I haven't had any issues with it. It's supposed to be nitro safe, but in general I don't leave any of my nitro finished guitars on stands. Latex will DEFINITELY eat into nitro.

Now I just wish I knew a sure fire way to de-smokify a case. I shampooed it, bombed it with deoderizer and baking sode, and an ozonator. The smell keeps coming back. Case is going in the garbage and being replaced.

Edited by tbonesullivan

58 minutes ago, tbonesullivan said:

I haven't had any issues with it. It's supposed to be nitro safe, but in general I don't leave any of my nitro finished guitars on stands. Latex will DEFINITELY eat into nitro.

Now I just wish I knew a sure fire way to de-smokify a case. I shampooed it, bombed it with deoderizer and baking sode, and an ozonator. The smell keeps coming back. Case is going in the garbage and being replaced.

so is this cigarette smoke?  it's nasty stuff.  used to be in a band with a guy that smoked like a chimney  just from being there once a week or so a few of my cases reeked.  Took a long time to rid the smell.. and sometimes, I swear I still catch a wiff.  I put some Little Tree Vanilla things in the one that got it the worse,  I figured that was better than the smoke smell.  

That is the one case I thought about ditching too.  if I could find a decent brown gibson case that didn't cost an arm and a leg...  I'd probably do it.

I had the smoke problem with a guitar. Until it was delivered I had no idea how much a guitar could reek. I disassembled it scrubbed it with every cleaning product I could. I took to using vinegar in the end. Someone here suggested leaving out in the air for as long as possible. I did, and that was the final 'stage' of fumigating it. In total it took a whole year. 

Yes, cigarette / tobacco smoke unfortunately.  It was supposed to have no odor, and it didn't have much at first, but the seller must have cleaned the case, as the longer I had it, the more smell started coming out of the case.

I've had very good luck getting the smell off guitars, but not out of the cases.

With the guitar, tearing off ALL the hardware, cleaning it, and then using Stew Mac preservation polish will pretty much remove everything. I'm then going to wipe it down with naptha, especailly the fretboard. Then I'm going to buff it with swirl remover, which has some pretty potent solvents. After that, Gibson pump polish, which really works wonders on just about any nitro finish.

After that, gonna lemon oil the fretboard a few times to hopefully cause all of the smoke smell to come out.

yea,, you'll win the day on the guitar end of it..

Case,   with patience, and time,, maybe.. but at least the case can be replaced with a whole buncha options....

And to think, when I was growing up, and even when I started working at companies in the mid 70s after high school,, everyone was smoking, and you could do it anywhere you pleased.  

In regards to Gibson OEM factory cases....

People think I'm crazy about this but when it comes to SG cases some work and some don't based on how shallow or steep the neck angle is on the particular SG. I have a 2012 SG Standard '60 GC Exclusive in Honeyburst and a 2011 SG Standard Ltd. in Natural burst and both have steep neck angles. When I tried to fit them in the factory cases of a 2017 and a 2018 SG Standards with shallower neck angles they did't work due to the height of the neck rests and the pads underneath the body. Talented tinkerers can take apart the neck rests and make adjustments but not everyone has that ability or supplies.

I'm willing to bet your 2004 has a steeper neck angle like mine so you will probably want to avoid more recent factory cases as they seem to have shallow angles. Just a thought.