Gibson Brands Forums

Custom shop thoughts

uncle fester

4 hours ago, Dave F said:

The Nick Lucas is short scale

Nick Lucas

TY, Sweet.  

Thoughts on 1.75.  From people's input, going from 1.73 to 1.75 dousn't sound like it should be that big of a deal, but going from the gibson to the guild it feels like a big jump.  I haven't measured the guild yet, but will bring my calipers when I go back north next week.  I wonder if the guild is actually bigger than 1.75...  it sure feels bigger than my 1.73 nut J45.

Mind blown...  to recap, I started by saying my J45 neck feels significantly thinner than my Guild...  My J45 measures 1.72, I was thinking the guild had to be 1.75 at a min, but I got to measure it today and it's 1.68.  No idea what I'm feeling in the guild, the neck feels a little larger, string spacing just a little wider - but by the numbers, if anyhting they are smaller.

I guess this just proves can't buy on spec, need to try it...  and in parallel universes.  Still want to try one of those Kopp 'the birds' though...

11 minutes ago, uncle fester said:

Mind blown...  to recap, I started by saying my J45 neck feels significantly thinner than my Guild...  My J45 measures 1.72, I was thinking the guild had to be 1.75 at a min, but I got to measure it today and it's 1.68.  No idea what I'm feeling in the guild, the neck feels a little larger, string spacing just a little wider - but by the numbers, if anyhting they are smaller.

I guess this just proves can't buy on spec, need to try it...  and in parallel universes.  Still want to try one of those Kopp 'the birds' though...

I found out years ago it’s the entire sum. Nut width, string spacing, neck shape/girth. Problem is, none of it improves my playing:( The most comfortable guitar I’ve had was the Yoakam Deuce. It had the standard Gibson modern neck that’s on most of their models with what they called a rolled fingerboard.