Gibson Brands Forums

Cat Stevens on His New Custom J-180

Leonard McCoy

1 hour ago, groovadelic said:

If you look at the guitar, it’s essentially an Everly Brothers model (with the 60s pinless adjustable bridge) but with a crescent headstock inlay.  The only thing different appears to be the body depth which they have never reissued accurately on the J180 or J185 models.

For good reason. The Everly was effectively a thinline J-185 similar to the AG parlor models today; the Montana reissues bring back the necessary punch to the classic compact shape. As much as I love replicas, the modern take is an overall better design.

Edited by Leonard McCoy

Would like to know the inner specifications for this 180.

Apart from that I step away from guitars with religious or political symbols - to me music and singing songs lie beyond specific churches/parties. 

Btw. been trying to learn The Wind the last 2 days. Finally have gotten used to the low 'never', which always turned me off. It's not an easy tune to get down right.  

Here's a version played on what must be a 70s J-50 something, , , perhaps Deluxe. A rather fine version. 

Edited by E-minor7

52 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Here's a version played on what must be a 70s J-50 something, , , perhaps Deluxe. A rather fine version. 

I wouldn't swear to it but that head stock looks like a Dove. That may be a Gospel.

gibsontrc.JPG

Gibson+Gospel+11.JPG

Edited by Dave F
  • Like 1

We have a couple J185  fanatics (in a good way) members. I always thought the J180 was a thinner version of the J185.

I thought the Super Jumbo body shapes were J-200 17" bout, J-185 16" bout, J-180 16" bout thin body, J-165/CJ165/L200 15" bout.

I have a J185 and have had a J180 and CJ165.

7 hours ago, Dave F said:

I wouldn't swear to it but that head stock looks like a Dove. That may be a Gospel.

gibsontrc.JPG

Gibson+Gospel+11.JPG

Ah the sweet Gospel...my favourite '70s Gibson. The arched Maple back makes them so loud and sweet, none of the "full of socks" issues that some of the XX braced Norlins exhibit. I've played two, both of which were gorgeous. Have always wanted to own one...one day.

On 9/25/2020 at 3:05 AM, Jinder said:

Ah the sweet Gospel...my favourite '70s Gibson. The arched Maple back makes them so loud and sweet, none of the "full of socks" issues that some of the XX braced Norlins exhibit. I've played two, both of which were gorgeous. Have always wanted to own one...one day.

I agree 100% that the Gospel was the one ray of sunshine in the otherwise dismal Norlin era.