Gibson Brands Forums

Is this thing on?

rct

Yeah, that's how it's been for like 9 years now.  But not this week.  Every time you turn the thing on it's the first time you ever turned it on.  I'm an ex computer guy.  i hate the goddam things.

Good to see you, Retired.  Retirement is, in fact, everything it is cracked up to be!

rct

1 hour ago, uncle fester said:

stop hey, what's that sound, everybody look what's going down...   I feel it's part of a cyber wars conspiracy.  I work with technology, I'm not a fan of technology.

yea man.. close to 40 years in IT for me..  I think I can say that I've just about seen it all, and,, I've had my fill of it too.   I'm working my exit strategy like a two dollar hooker on a Saturday night....

I"m still using a Windows 7 notebook that I shut off the updates quite while ago and its still running, not very fast but still running, it used to scream. My MacBook runs fast with double the recommended ram, at 10 years old it's showing signs of wear and tear and was excluded from OS updates a couple gens ago, but still getting security updates.. Working as a graphic artist, out of need I built a printing network then added some servers and then connected other publishing/media related departments. So we had our own INTRA net then connected to the internet. I don't miss any of that and am thoroughly enjoying retirement, but I am on the verge of needing new tech..

Edited by mihcmac

19 hours ago, rct said:

Yeah, that's how it's been for like 9 years now.  But not this week.  Every time you turn the thing on it's the first time you ever turned it on.  I'm an ex computer guy.  i hate the goddam things.

Good to see you, Retired.  Retirement is, in fact, everything it is cracked up to be!

rct

Oh Great. You are retired now huh? Congratulations.  I sure love it anyway.  Yeah, I left here for a month because I was having problems with my vision and Deb was telling me too much of the computer screen does that to you. 

3 hours ago, kidblast said:

yea man.. close to 40 years in IT for me..  I think I can say that I've just about seen it all, and,, I've had my fill of it too.   I'm working my exit strategy like a two dollar hooker on a Saturday night....

I was a Hooker for about a month. I got bumped off as I didn't have enough seniority to hold the job.  Oh? Talking about a Crane Hooker right? Lol.  Yeah, eventually the Railroad management removed the Hooker position and changed it to a Chain Handler.  People were asking us what we did at the Railroad, and we were telling them, We're Hookers! 

2 minutes ago, jdgm said:

You've got to have a restore point with Win10.

Yes, but not worth the effort.  It is probably more the cable company than winders.  This downgrade broke every persistent thing you could possibly have, going back to like 1984.  My ISP, however, is garbage and probably hasn't upped itself to deals with whatever new "security" garbage is in the MS stuff.  Same. Old. Story.

rct

I use Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Explorer and Opera and like to tryout other new browsers as they come along. I set all of the startup pages to Google and use Google search engines exclusively. I don't like Bing..

Edited by mihcmac

17 hours ago, kidblast said:

I'm working my exit strategy like a two dollar hooker on a Saturday night....

yea baby, luck for sooner rather than later

7 hours ago, mihcmac said:

I use Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Explorer and Opera and like to tryout other new browsers as they come along. I set all of the startup pages to Google and use Google search engines exclusively. I don't like Bing..

you just used more words than i care to know about.  I want to turn it on, I want it to work. 

wish i could play like SRV too.

Edited by uncle fester

1 hour ago, merciful-evans said:

I miss my Amiga 4000. I understood it. It did what I wanted. It didn't have its own agenda or spy on me.

I wish I did something that would be worth someone wanting to spy on, but falling asleep in my chair before the ball game comes on is about as good as it gets here

I CAN'T F#%KING LOG IN
(a poem by John Sparkman)

I can't f#%king log in
and it's really most perplexing
I really can't log in
the problem is quite vexing

I logged in just the other day
As always, automatically
I'd like to clarify, and to say
The computer hadn't been acting erratically

Until I installed that IOS update
and then it all went to hell
I'm sure I sealed my fate
When I deleted my cookies as well

And so now I'm locked out completely
from all my favorite websites
I have tried overtly and I have tried discretely
Passwords, small bits and tera-bytes

I'm a web forum has been
my head is in a spin
and that's the problem therein
I can't f#%king log in

😟

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/26/2020 at 10:48 AM, Pinch said:

I've stopped complaining about Windows, since it always ends with someone wanting to explain Linux to me. I've never seen Game of Thrones, I'm not gonna listen to people explaining Linux to me. 

Windows runs as a shell on Linux.

Mac is built on Unix and uses a Z shell.

• Confused 1