Gibson Brands Forums

NGD Another bird in the house

Peter Z

Nice!!!  I keep eyeing one online. I like the baked top. I'd like to play one in person. Have been scoping them out since they came out this Spring. It was in my recent top-3(ish) earlier this year when I got something else. My card is WIDE-OPEN......  but no, not until next year. And I mean it.

Congrats, by the way. Enjoy. It's a sharp looker.

43 minutes ago, PatriotsBiker said:

Nice!!!  I keep eyeing one online. I like the baked top. I'd like to play one in person. Have been scoping them out since they came out this Spring. It was in my recent top-3(ish) earlier this year when I got something else. My card is WIDE-OPEN......  but no, not until next year. And I mean it.

Congrats, by the way. Enjoy. It's a sharp looker.

Thanks PB!

I also like baked tops, this is my second after a Martin D-18MD. But I‘d like to compare my Love Dove to a standard Dove. It‘s a shame, but this is the first time ever I played a Dove. Those are rare birds here.

Anyway, I‘m really happy, nice and LOUD. Much louder than my Hummingbird and SJ-200, almost like the D-18. Also, I‘m totally impressed how it sounds fingerpicked.

42 minutes ago, Peter Z said:

Jinder, your talks and video about your Dove influenced my decision! 🙂

Did you ever compare the Love Dove with your Dove?

Only in the videos I've seen online...they sound very similar! I've had my in-store shopping/guitar auditioning wings clipped a little by the Covid situation this year sadly. I'm glad to hear you were swayed by my Dove enthusiasm, I've always loved them. A really iconic but also subtly under-the-radar guitar. Those who know, know...

Two birds are better than one I say! And those are both beauties. I also love the keystone grover nickel tuner buttons on your Dove! I ordered a set of those for my Hummingbird and they really fit and look beautiful on both the Dove and the Hummingbird! Congrats!

8 hours ago, Jinder said:

Only in the videos I've seen online...they sound very similar! I've had my in-store shopping/guitar auditioning wings clipped a little by the Covid situation this year sadly. I'm glad to hear you were swayed by my Dove enthusiasm, I've always loved them. A really iconic but also subtly under-the-radar guitar. Those who know, know...

Thanks Jinder,

It seems, all Doves have that very special sound that makes them sound similar. I hope you are doing well in the middle of this virus chaos. Those are hard times for a professionell musician. 

7 hours ago, Dave F said:

I'm still on a honeymoon with my Dove. I'm starting to prefer the narrow  nut.

I would like to see Gibson add the bird beak to all the Doves and Hummingbirds. It just seems right,

Gibson DIF

Those Doves inflight are pieces of art. Just breathtaking.
I had to look, that’s a real narrow nut. But why not. Just one of thousand things more to adapt in life. 🙂

While I like the blood sunburst of my Love Dove I would have preferred a pale natural top. My sunburst/natural balance is swapping over to sunburst. Especially in my Gibson territory. Sunburst: 4, natural: 0.  A true and serious first world problem, I know! On the other hand, the baked top is nice to have. So, all in all I’m happy. 🙂

15 hours ago, Jinder said:

Unless the TRC contributes to sound I would think the only difference  would be the terrified top on the Love Dove.  Gibson though really needs to work on their Signature models.  I was just just looking at the Signature line and endorsers of one their smaller competitors  (which includes Stefan Grossman and Roy Bookbinder) and the best Gibson can conjure up when it comes to acoustic guitars is the likes of the guy from Tesla?   

Edited by zombywoof