Gibson Brands Forums

NGD Another bird in the house

Peter Z

23 hours ago, Peter Z said:

The Hummingbird isnā€™t alone anymore! šŸ™‚

D8FCB548-0214-4A04-9449-9F3898E705BD.jpeg

Great looking guitars. I really like the Dark HB.

The Red Dove Burst reminds me of the early Hummingbirds. The mom of the drummer in ourĀ band in the mid 60's bought a new HB with that burst. She was a very nice good Christian woman who played and sangĀ at church. She needed an electric guitar for a special event at the church and I offeredĀ Ā mine but she would not use it because it had been in the bars šŸ™‚

Ā 

18 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

Ā 

Unless the TRC contributes to sound I would think the only differenceĀ  would be the terrified top on theĀ Love Dove.Ā  Gibson though really needs to work on their Signature models.Ā  I was just just looking at the Signature lineĀ and endorsers of one their smaller competitorsĀ  (which includesĀ Stefan Grossman and Roy Bookbinder) and the best Gibson can conjure up when it comes to acoustic guitars is the likes ofĀ the guy from Tesla?Ā  Ā 

Hey Zomby,

what a great idea.Ā I'm taking off the TRC now to compare how thatĀ sounds!Ā šŸ˜…

Beside of never having touched a Gibson Dove before I bought that one, I now have to confess one more thing: I never heard about Frank Hannon before doing my Dove researches and Tesla was a physician (not even a car) for me. Doesn't matter, Frank came over nicely in the videos and before my tinnitus times I played ROCK (and Roll as well). So, thanks to Frank!

8 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

Ā 

Unless the TRC contributes to sound I would think the only differenceĀ  would be the terrified top on theĀ Love Dove.Ā  Gibson though really needs to work on their Signature models.Ā  I was just just looking at the Signature lineĀ and endorsers of one their smaller competitorsĀ  (which includesĀ Stefan Grossman and Roy Bookbinder) and the best Gibson can conjure up when it comes to acoustic guitars is the likes ofĀ the guy from Tesla?Ā  Ā 

I've had a Kris Kristofferson,Ā  Dwight Yoakam and Jackson Browne that were very nice.Ā  I have a Nick Lucas. They've had Smeck, Aaron Lewis,Ā  Elvis Costello, Elvis Presley, Emmylou Harris, Sheryl Crow,Ā  Billie Joe Armstrong and probably a few others I've missed. Except for the Smeck, Sheryl Crow and Nick Lucas that have an occasional run, it seems the others did not catch on and became aĀ  one time limited run collectibleĀ  only desired by a limited number of avid fans. On the electric side, Les Paul and Chet set a high bar (I have one of each). I think they over price the signature models that except for cosmetics, do not offer much more than a standard model.

27 minutes ago, Dave F said:

Great looking guitars. I really like the Dark HB.

The Red Dove Burst reminds me of the early Hummingbirds. The mom of the drummer in ourĀ band in the mid 60's bought a new HB with that burst. She was a very nice good Christian woman who played and sangĀ at church. She needed an electric guitar for a special event at the church and I offeredĀ Ā mine but she would not use it because it had been in the bars šŸ™‚

Ā 

Dave, I'm shocked! You played in bars? Good, she never new whatĀ my guitars have seen.

Edited by Peter Z

2 minutes ago, Dave F said:

I think they over price the signature models that except for cosmetics, do not offer much more than a standard model.

Honestly, I thought the same too. But there was no other Dove around. And the second hand ones were tooĀ far away to try and also quite expensive.Ā Ā Buying used guitars unseen is not what I want.

BUT I found out: My Love Dove has bone nut and saddle, not the cheap Tusq of the standard Dove!!!Ā šŸ¤£Ā I mean additionally to the fried top! What do you say now?

1 minute ago, Peter Z said:

Dave, I'm shocked! You played in bars? Good, she never new whatĀ my guitars habe seen?

It was funny growing up with all my friends and bandmates having a Church of God upbringing and me being a Catholic but it worked. All the mom's accepted me andĀ  I remember my best friend's mom telling me 'You're okay for a Catholic".Ā  All the mom's and bandmates except one have passed on but we all were lifetime friends. Ā 

20 minutes ago, Peter Z said:

Honestly, I thought the same too. But there was no other Dove around. And the second hand ones were tooĀ far away to try and also quite expensive.Ā Ā Buying used guitars unseen is not what I want.

BUT I found out: My Love Dove has bone nut and saddle, not the cheap Tusq of the standard Dove!!!Ā šŸ¤£Ā I mean additionally to the fried top! What do you say now?

Itā€™s all about what you like. I bought the Kris and Dwight used at very reasonable prices comparable to standard models.Ā 

15 minutes ago, Dave F said:

I've had a Kris Kristofferson,Ā  Dwight Yoakam and Jackson Browne that were very nice.Ā  I have a Nick Lucas. They've had Smeck, Aaron Lewis,Ā  Elvis Costello, Elvis Presley, Emmylou Harris, Sheryl Crow,Ā  Billie Joe Armstrong and probably a few others I've missed. Except for the Smeck, Sheryl Crow and Nick Lucas that have an occasional run, it seems the others did not catch on and became aĀ  one time limited run collectibleĀ  only desired by a limited number of avid fans. On the electric side, Les Paul and Chet set a high bar (I have one of each). I think they over price the signature models that except for cosmetics, do not offer much more than a standard model.

The Sheryl Crow SJ (Deluxe?) would have been on the short list of finalists a few months back. It was actually because they have not made it in 4+ years and no used ones around that I began searching out alternatives. It was several months before I saw one pop up on Reverb. Now it's been two in one month.Ā 

Ā 

57 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

....... Gibson though really needs to work on their Signature models.Ā  I was just just looking at the Signature lineĀ and endorsers of one their smaller competitorsĀ  (which includesĀ Stefan Grossman and Roy Bookbinder) and the best Gibson can conjure up when it comes to acoustic guitars is the likes ofĀ the guy from Tesla?Ā  Ā 

It looked to me as an act of desperation to get into a new market segment. Appealing to .... oh, hell, I dunno.

2 hours ago, Dave F said:

Ā 

In most instances the artists provided no input into the instruments which wereĀ largely a stock guitar with some different bling.Ā  Just savy marketing like the word "vintage."Ā  Ā Not saying they were not great guitars.Ā  I really liked the Kristofferson SJĀ in particular.Ā  Ā Names likeĀ Nick Lucas or Roy Smeck though are a whole different ballgame because you know those instrumentsĀ will have at least some (but usually not all) of the distinct and characterĀ defining elements that go with the name.Ā  Ā 

Hey guys/girls!

After watching the news, I just want to thank all of you, the forum, the moderators that places like this exists. I onlyĀ bought a new guitar, got so many nice words, great information and a great feeling just because of all this, just because of you!

Thank you, thatā€™s the part of the world I love! Just wanted you to know.

Peter

7 hours ago, PatriotsBiker said:

It looked to me as an act of desperation to get into a new market segment. Appealing to .... oh, hell, I dunno.

I never heard of the guy either. Seems like if youā€™re targeting the younger crowd you would make them more affordable for that crowd.Ā 

26 minutes ago, Dave F said:

I never heard of the guy either. Seems like if youā€™re targeting the younger crowd you would make them more affordable for that crowd.Ā 

Bwahahah.Ā  Between Slash and the Tesla guy is it more of a whatever happened to crowd.Ā  Then again I still do not have a clue who Aaron Lewis is..

Edited by zombywoof

I think, Gibson decided for that recreation because:
- there is a story behind that special 1976 Dove that got lost and is back now
- a top 10 hit was written and played on it (not sure how many top 10 hits are based on a Dove)
- the hit was called ā€šLove Songā€˜ and whatā€™s better than ā€šLove Doveā€˜
- the musician behind the guitar is still active and his handwriting is nice enough for the ā€šLoveā€˜ on the TRC šŸ™‚Ā (mine would have been a disaster)

I can understand, thatĀ all of thisĀ made the marketing people quite happy.Ā