Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, merciful-evans said:

 

You got different pedals to us as well? 

No, they're the same, so when you flip the picture they look opposite. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, btoth76 said:

Congratulations! I am about to purchase a car too. I am considering it's (continental) European version, the Opel Astra.  Nice cars! Perhaps, I will settle for it's little brother, the Corsa.

Bence.

Hey Bence..  Yes I have been looking about for the last few weeks..  I knew I wanted a mid sized car with at least a 1.4L engine.. The Astra comes up as one of the best for the price. And last night I was watching some online reviews of the Astra.. The worst thing any of them said about it was the fact it has some cheapish looking plastic bits on the interior..  So a good choice I think. Apparently the 1.4L Turbo like I have got really shifts.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Tidy looking motor Rabs. Nearly new is the best option.

Great looking interior, though you really should have reversed the image to avoid flummoxing the septics [wink] 

QGqtGRC.jpg

Now That's what I'm talking about! Steering wheel on the correct side, LOl.  Besides, I'm not too sure I could ever get used to shifting left handed? 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Thanks one and all..  Really excited to get it...   [thumbup]

My Saturn Vue is a 2006 model, Still looks new and runs like new.  But the wife keeps pushing for me to get a new car. 14 years old and still just a hair over 100,000 miles on it.   Congrats on the new vehicle Rabs.  If you're right handed like me, You might want to have them put that steering wheel where it belongs before you pick the car up so you can shift, right hand. Lol🤣

Edited by Retired
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Retired said:

My Saturn Vue is a 2006 model, Still looks new and runs like new.  But the wife keeps pushing for me to get a new car. 14 years old and still just a hair over 100,000 miles on it.   Congrats on the new vehicle Rabs.  If you're right handed like me, You might want to have them put that steering wheel where it belongs before you pick the car up so you can shift, right hand. Lol🤣

Yeah.. My last car before what I have now was a Peugeot 206 and I had it for 15 years.. I am not the sort of person who gets a new car every few years.. I find a good one and drive it till it wont drive any more.. Loved that Peugeot, never broke down, never had a major repair.. Then a year and a half ago when it died I got the cheapest car I could (well within reason) and thats about to die now too, im 99% sure it wont pass its next MOT.. So thus the reason for this new one.. Like my 206, if its a good one I will keep it for at least a decade..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Yeah I was wondering.   Is that the same Opel that made the Opel GT?  Someone on my block where I grew up had one of these.  It was as cool as a Corvette to us little kids. 

283px-A_visitors_Opel_GT_A-L,_1971_(7126

Yeah probably the same company..  One of my very first cars I ever had (like 30years ago) was a Vauxhall Cavalier.. LOVED that car, it had a 1.6L Sports engine in it and man did it shift...  So yeah, they are a very old and established company. Pretty similar to Ford in many ways in terms of what you get for the money.. Nice mid range brand.   I also had a Vauxhall Chevette just after that which again was a great car.. And yes the one I had was brown and gold  🙂 So my history with Vauxhall is pretty good as such. Fingers crossed the same for the new car

Da0xWYE.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Or does it make more sense to have your dominant hand on the steering wheel? Hmmmmm.  

Hmmm.....Well, I used to drag race the NHRA and I had my left hand on the wheel through the quarter mile while I shifted with the right.  I nearly cut the left arm off at 16 in an accident and they never found the nerve to my thumb.  My left arm was half as strong as my right as I lost mass muscle.  Still, I could easily control the race car through the quarter mile with 8 second times.  That was in the 70's. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Yeah.. My last car before what I have now was a Peugeot 206 and I had it for 15 years.. I am not the sort of person who gets a new car every few years.. I find a good one and drive it till it wont drive any more.. Loved that Peugeot, never broke down, never had a major repair.. Then a year and a half ago when it died I got the cheapest car I could (well within reason) and thats about to die now too, im 99% sure it wont pass its next MOT.. So thus the reason for this new one.. Like my 206, if its a good one I will keep it for at least a decade..

I looked at a lot of cars. I haven't found anything but if Deb keeps pushing for me to get a new car, I might go with the Subaru Ascent. That would be the last vehicle for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Maybe you wouldn't have had the accident if you were steering with your right hand. 😂

Haha,  Nice try.  I wasn't even driving yet.  16 years old.  I fell off my bike towards the garage skidding the back tire against the door and tried to catch myself putting my left arm out to stop myself.  My arm went through the window and by reflexes, I jerked it back. It cut all around my arm except for the bone. The artery, muscles nerves, everything.  The neighbor saw it and called 911. I almost bled out before I got to the emergency.  Doctors said I should have bled out and died. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rabs said:

Hey Bence..  Yes I have been looking about for the last few weeks..  I knew I wanted a mid sized car with at least a 1.4L engine.. The Astra comes up as one of the best for the price. And last night I was watching some online reviews of the Astra.. The worst thing any of them said about it was the fact it has some cheapish looking plastic bits on the interior..  So a good choice I think. Apparently the 1.4L Turbo like I have got really shifts.

Hello Rabs.

There is no car something wrong couldn't be said about. "Cheap plastic" should be the biggest issue ever! Enjoy Your new car! 🙂

Bence.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats Rabs, looks nice! 

I had a Vauxhall Corsa for awhile....16 valve or something.

Tiny car, went well but needed maintenance (I have NEVER bought a new car and probably never will).

I'm tall and I needed more legroom.

My current car is a 20-year old Skoda Fabia 1.4 with less than 100k on the clock and a cassette player!

I go automatic these days too. 

My best car ever was a Merc 190E.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jdgm said:

Congrats Rabs, looks nice! 

I had a Vauxhall Corsa for awhile....16 valve or something.

Tiny car, went well but needed maintenance (I have NEVER bought a new car and probably never will).

I'm tall and I needed more legroom.

My current car is a 20-year old Skoda Fabia 1.4 with less than 100k on the clock and a cassette player!

I go automatic these days too. 

My best car ever was a Merc 190E.

Cheers man..  Yeah I have only done this once before when I was with my Ex and we kind of bought it together in a haze of soppy love filled ideas at the time  (I guess)..  That was my 206 and I had it for 15 years so while it cost, I think it was worth it. Never had a single problem until the last year or so... This time round I just happen to be in  a position to do this and wanted something nice for myself. Its got a five year warranty too so  by that point I will know if its a good car or not and its covered until then. Then I will keep it for many years I am assuming.

These new cars are a bit different to old cars to with economic fuel consumption and low carbon emissions in mind. So I guess only time will tell on how long they last (not that I do much mileage anyway, my 206 had less than 100,000 after 15 years).

I think my 206 must be my best car as its the one I had for the longest time.. Hopefully this one will be the same (fingers crossed 🙂 )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

About 12-13 hours to go before I go pick up my new ride..  So excited not sure if I will sleep much tonight.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Picked it up..  All seems good and in working order (its used approved by the manufacturer)..  Drives really well and all that. A bit early to really tell anything but its all looking good 😄  Lots of buttons to learn how to use, I will actually have a look at the manual.

And my cheesiest biggest grin for you all (makes me look a bit joker like) 

EcitNV6.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Picked it up..  All seems good and in working order (its used approved by the manufacturer)..  Drives really well and all that. A bit early to really tell anything but its all looking good 😄  Lots of buttons to learn how to use, I will actually have a look at the manual.

And my cheesiest biggest grin for you all (makes me look a bit joker like) 

EcitNV6.jpg

Ladies will be after you now. Nice car Rabs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/26/2020 at 1:30 PM, Retired said:

Now That's what I'm talking about! Steering wheel on the correct side, LOl.  Besides, I'm not too sure I could ever get used to shifting left handed? 

I switch no problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rabs said:

Picked it up..  All seems good and in working order (its used approved by the manufacturer)..  Drives really well and all that. A bit early to really tell anything but its all looking good 😄  Lots of buttons to learn how to use, I will actually have a look at the manual.

And my cheesiest biggest grin for you all (makes me look a bit joker like) 

EcitNV6.jpg

You look like you couldn't be happier.

I think you should take for a nice long drive north, find a place, open the rear hatch, sit with a battery amp and blast the Scott country side..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mihcmac said:

You look like you couldn't be happier.

I think you should take for a nice long drive north, find a place, open the rear hatch, sit with a battery amp and blast the Scott country side..

Yeah cheers..  Its a good day.. Not had one in a while and in a way its a bit overwhelming having something so new. Many buttons to learn and stuff like that...  Of course no CD player any more so all of those CDs  really have had their day.. It connects to your phone or you can stick a USB stick in it and it plays from that.. Pretty cool, but I kind of liked flicking through a physical book of CDs... All makes me feel quite old ....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Yeah cheers..  Its a good day.. Not had one in a while and in a way its a bit overwhelming having something so new. Many buttons to learn and stuff like that...  Of course no CD player any more so all of those CDs  really have had their day.. It connects to your phone or you can stick a USB stick in it and it plays from that.. Pretty cool, but I kind of liked flicking through a physical book of CDs... All makes me feel quite old ....

Even though I can connect an iPhone, my favorite road album is Dark Side of the Moon on CD. Yep I'm still old school and I like flipping through my CD's, they do make portable Bluetooth CD players.. BTW you look more like a happy kid compared to me... 🙂

Edited by mihcmac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

Even though I can connect an iPhone, my favorite road album is Dark Side of the Moon on CD. Yep I'm still old school and I like flipping through my CD's, they do make portable Bluetooth CD players.. BTW you look more like a happy kid compared to me... 🙂

Ha.. Yes a 47 year old child..  Probably sums me up quite well  😄 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rabs said:

Ha.. Yes a 47 year old child..  Probably sums me up quite well  😄 

@ 70 I still haven't given up my childish things. I love my car, my guitars and the blonde that sleeps next to me.. 🙂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...