Gibson Brands Forums

Price of vanity

uncle fester

In this case - it's a skinny neck (1.59 to be precise) on my '67 SG.  

In my past guitar life, I played guitars w/ 1.75 nut maybe larger, loved them - but for one reason or another evolved to playing a 1.73 nut on my J45 and 1.59 on my SG.  When I first started playing the skinnier necks I didn't like the feel, but have grown to it, feels very comfortable.  The whole reason for this thread is I was away last week and played my acoustic with the 1.75 nut, which reminded me how much I like the wider neck.

So here's the price of vanity...  I could go out and get a decent guitar (maybe $2500) guitar with a wider nut, and I'm sure it will be sweet - but it just wont have the cool factor of playing a '67 SG.  So until I can replace it with something of equal coolness (which is far north of $2500 I believe), the price of vanity is me playing a skinny neck.

hmmmmm...

anyone else pick up a guitar based on it's look / cool factor vs how it ultimately feels?

• Like 1

Yes. In a room/shop full of guitars, looks are largely what you have to go on. When I was reproached here for never having played a Telecaster, I later picked up the prettiest one in my local shop. An American Elite Thinline. It sounded fantastic. I might have even bought it but for the string spread.

I prefer wide necks too. I can just do more with them. I bought both of my Gibsons in 2015. The traditional thinner neck of the 339 feels luxurious, but the extra wide 1.795" neck of the LP is more versatile. 

The luckiest break for me was discovering the Ric 650. Not only did it tick every box for the specs I wanted, its pretty as well. Thats got a wide 1.75" neck that most players hate, but suits me ideally.

I have been seduced into choosing (& buying) a prettier guitar over a better one, but I'll have that up for sale soon, and I wont make that mistake again. Ugly guitars: I have some, but living with them for a while makes them easier on the eye. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, rct said:

I couldn't tell you the nut width on any of my dozen guitars.  Don't care.

rct

Same here really.. I only started caring about my own builds when I started making them and even then I am not that fussy... I tend to just go with what I know which is 43mm...  Even now I build them I have only ever measured one guitar which was because I wanted the same sort of feel (as my DC Special)..  I still couldnt tell you about my other Les Pauls.. What does it matter as long as you like the way it plays... Knowing the specs isnt going to make them any better or worse for me.

As for cool factor...  Again its only about what I like (and well I like most of them 🙂 ).. If someone else thinks my guitars aren't cool I couldnt care less however I get wanting a guitar say to suit a band that plays a certain style of music..  Its kind of fair enough.

My 69 Epi was made alongside the SGs and has the same super skinny neck. It takes a bit of adjustment but after a while of playing its just fine. I have no technique so it makes little difference but I'd prefer skinny over wide neck. I should probably sell it as I don't really need 2 guitars - have sort of given the 61 MM to my son, though it's still sitting here, which would just leave me with my old Aria Pro ll to use myself - but it is a nice friendly old guitar ( a bit fugly though so not really a vanity thing)

11 hours ago, uncle fester said:

Anyone else pick up a guitar based on it's look / cool factor vs how it ultimately feels?

I've done it a few times and usually regretted it.  I have thick fingers so prefer a wider, flatter board.

I loved the look of a black Fender Aerodyne Strat, so got one - but it was far too light, neck and board wrong for me (and it had a bow).  If I'd planted that guitar it would have sprouted!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rabs said:

Same here really.. I only started caring about my own builds when I started making them and even then I am not that fussy... I tend to just go with what I know which is 43mm...  Even now I build them I have only ever measured one guitar which was because I wanted the same sort of feel (as my DC Special)..  I still couldnt tell you about my other Les Pauls.. What does it matter as long as you like the way it plays... Knowing the specs isnt going to make them any better or worse for me.

As for cool factor...  Again its only about what I like (and well I like most of them 🙂 ).. If someone else thinks my guitars aren't cool I couldnt care less however I get wanting a guitar say to suit a band that plays a certain style of music..  Its kind of fair enough.

After converting that to inches I agree. 43mm is the perfect size. That is pretty much exactly the same as what you’ll find on a typical new Gibson as well.

The late 60s SGs had a particularly narrow nut width. The new ones are not like that. You could easily get a really nice new SG for under $2,500 with a more practical neck

3 hours ago, rct said:

rct

I must say I agree. 

Neck width,  nut composition, thickness, U shaped, C shaped, none of that matters much to me. 
I'm fairly adaptable, and as long as a guitar sounds great, feels good, and stays in tune, I'm a happy camper. 

Variety is the spice of life. 

To the point of vanity, I confess that Uncle Fester owning and playing a 1967 Gibson SG is some pretty cool stuff. 
I'm jealous. 

😟

QsSJNW3.png

• Haha 1

nut width comes into play for me with respect to how it fees.  The numbers are just a means to compare, and my SG feels thinner, so I measured it...  I had gotten pretty used to thinner, but then i played a wider neck guitar for a week straight and it got me thinking...  and then I needed a way to compare guitars, so nut width comes into play.  

I think if how the feel changes with a thinner or thicker neck doesn't matter to you, then yes, you don't think about nut width, but if you think about the feel of a guitar and how thick it's neck is ect...  then you may not call it that, but you do think about nut width.

--------

now -what's really going through my mind is if the thinner neck is a source of consternation, what would I have to replace a 67 SG (with a repaired neck and non original p'ups) to get that thicker neck but maintain the cool factor.  I wish an old school v was more suited to playing sitting down, those are cool.  hmmmmm

In a shop full of acoustics ...  too many guitars, not enough time ...  I will ONLY pick up a guitar  "based on its cool factor".   Because I equate 'cool' with  the name on the headstock - well known, respected brands.  I don't pick them up "based on their feel"  because I won't know that until AFTER  I've already picked them up.    Brands I'm familiar with have a higher probability of great sound and great feel.   Can't believe I'm agreeing with RCT for the 2nd time in one year - but I don't know or care what the nut width is on my (3 not 12) guitars.    Since you originally indicated you were interested in ordering a Custom  Gibson Acoustic in the thread you posted on the acoustic sub-forum,  the variation in nut width they might offer is going to translate to approximately Two Millimeters difference. Divide that between 6 strings, and ...  well you get less variation then you would see or 'feel'  between, say a Classical Nylon String guitar and a mandolin.  Shape of the neck will have more of an impact: C cup or D cup ?  

My first five guitars were Gibson electrics with the ‘60s slim taper neck, so I got very used to that neck.  Then I bought my 7 string guitar which had a wider neck, then my 6 string bass which has a fretboard the size of an airport runway.  Since I play those two most of the time, whenever I pick up one of my Gibsons or one of my 4 string basses,  my fretting hand feels like it’s sliding up and down a broom stick or a pool cue.  But it doesn’t take long to make the transition.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 01GT eibach said:

Sorry -- Herb Tarlek from WKRP in Cincinnati  is NOT less cool than a Vespa.   The SG and McQueen, yes.  But not the Vespa.

Hmmm......

If I find out that he successfully bedded Bailey Quarters, I'll move him up ahead of the Vespa, and just behind the SG. 

😛

10 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

In a shop full of acoustics ...  too many guitars, not enough time ...  I will ONLY pick up a guitar  "based on its cool factor".   Because I equate 'cool' with  the name on the headstock - well known, respected brands.  I don't pick them up "based on their feel"  because I won't know that until AFTER  I've already picked them up.    Brands I'm familiar with have a higher probability of great sound and great feel.   Can't believe I'm agreeing with RCT for the 2nd time in one year - but I don't know or care what the nut width is on my (3 not 12) guitars.    Since you originally indicated you were interested in ordering a Custom  Gibson Acoustic in the thread you posted on the acoustic sub-forum,  the variation in nut width they might offer is going to translate to approximately Two Millimeters difference. Divide that between 6 strings, and ...  well you get less variation then you would see or 'feel'  between, say a Classical Nylon String guitar and a mandolin.  Shape of the neck will have more of an impact: C cup or D cup ?  

lolz well I'm glad we agree.  Again!  We probably agree because of:  That Guy.

Me: "hey brutha grrrreat to see You! come up and do a song or three with us man..."

That Guy: "...uh...what's the nut width on that one tele there?"

Me:  "...ohfukkifIknow man...come on!"

That Guy:  "...uh...is it 1 and a hundred thirty eight/two hundred 56ths? That's all I can do man..."

Me: "...yeah, I'm afraid not...I think it's 2 hunnert and 12/three hunnert 87ths...maybe next time..."

To all those new folks starting out and reading all this good stuff, don't be That Guy.  Play whatever you are handed and have a ball, strive to play anything/everything as well as you can.  Don't sulk in the corner because the nut width isn't right.  That's just embarrassing.

rct

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rct said:

Me: "hey brutha grrrreat to see You! come up and do a song or three with us man..."

That Guy:  "...uh...is it 1 and a hundred thirty eight/two hundred 56ths? That's all I can do man..."

Me: "...yeah, I'm afraid not...I think it's 2 hunnert and 12/three hunnert 87ths...maybe next time..."

To all those new folks starting out and reading all this good stuff, don't be That Guy.  Play whatever you are handed and have a ball, strive to play anything/everything as well as you can.  Don't sulk in the corner because the nut width isn't right.  That's just embarrassing.

rct

Sorry I embarrassed ya... unintentional 

9 hours ago, rct said:

rct

I don't think anyone is saying be that guy, if I'm at a show, you can give me a handful of rocks and I'll be up on stage grooving on out.... no one said that's when you think about guitar feel. 

This is more a question about what would you do for your daily player, the neck feels slim, but it's a really cool guitar - would you keep it as your daily player, or would it get replaced in the line up.  SF's V gives me tingling sensations down low, what's the nut width on that?

10 hours ago, tx-ogre said:

My first five guitars were Gibson electrics with the ‘60s slim taper neck, so I got very used to that neck.  Then I bought my 7 string guitar which had a wider neck, then my 6 string bass which has a fretboard the size of an airport runway.  Since I play those two most of the time, whenever I pick up one of my Gibsons or one of my 4 string basses,  my fretting hand feels like it’s sliding up and down a broom stick or a pool cue.  But it doesn’t take long to make the transition.

Do you feel either neck enables any style playing better, or just a thing to get used to?

On 9/26/2020 at 3:36 PM, rct said:

rct

same here. I either like it or I don't. and if I like the guitar enough I adjust to whatever the neck may or may not be. 

Edited by Karloff