Gibson Brands Forums

Price of vanity

uncle fester

5 hours ago, uncle fester said:

This is more a question about what would you do for your daily player, the neck feels slim, but it's a really cool guitar - would you keep it as your daily player, or would it get replaced in the line up. 

If I don't get along with it, that is, I take it and one of the others out with me and picking it up gives me trouble, it will go.  I don't have to fool around with a neck I either don't like or gives me fits when I switch to it.  I've had quite a few really cool guitars, Explorer among them, that I just never got the hang of those particular necks.  They went out along the way.

rct

5 hours ago, uncle fester said:

This is more a question about what would you do for your daily player, the neck feels slim, but it's a really cool guitar - would you keep it as your daily player, or would it get replaced in the line up. 

If I don't get along with it, that is, I take it and one of the others out with me and picking it up gives me trouble, it will go.  I don't have to fool around with a neck I either don't like or gives me fits when I switch to it.  I've had quite a few really cool guitars, Explorer among them, that I just never got the hang of those particular necks.  They went out along the way.

rct

1.69" and the only way I know that is because I went here:

https://www.gibson.com/Guitar/USAM1U838/Flying-V/Antique-Natural

The neck on the V and Explorer feel identical to me.  Fairly slim (but not where's the neck slim) and really low action is possible.

Low frets, no stickiness to the back and the rosewood is slick feeling.  Really easy to play, that's for sure.  My limited experience with the newer Gibson USA models is they're all like that.  

So what am I doing?  Struggling with a 2007 Explorer every day which has the heel of the neck way too fat to get above the 17th fret without taking your thumb way off the neck.  I figure if I can get the hang on this one I'll have it made.  Nearly 5 months later and I'm making progress.

The new SG Standard is pretty nice, too.  Shop around a little bit and they're not all that expensive.

18 hours ago, uncle fester said:

Do you feel either neck enables any style playing better, or just a thing to get used to?

The neck style enables me to reach all the notes easily, I do spend time practicing using frets 19-20-21-22, so they will be polished when I actually try and use them. So I am drawn to SG's and 335 style for access. LP's require more concentration and position to reach all of the frets. I like them to be comfortable, weight around 7 to 8 lbs and have zero neck dive. My best fitting most comfortable guitar is my BluesHawk, which has almost the exact same body shape as an SG but single cut., has good belly relief in the right place, weighs about 8 lbs and has zero neck dive. Sharing the same body shape as the NightHawk that has several different pickup configurations..

The guitars I bought in stores, something attracted me to them, then the way they played closed the deal...

Edited by mihcmac

I like a wider nut width .  All.my guitars are 1.75 or approaching it.  It all depends on what feels good to the individual.  ....4-5 years ago I bought a Luna guitar with horses galloping across the top.  I thought it looked cool, and it did.  The only thing that killed it for me was a very narrow neck.  I returned it in a month to GC.   It wasn’t a great guitar for tone, but I’d have kept it because of the horses if the nut had been wider......I make fewer fingerpicking mistakes with a wider nut.

Edited by MissouriPicker

The difference between 1.69 and 1.75 is only 0.06" only 6  / 100ths of an inch, almost a 1/16" but not quite, sensitive hands could feel the difference.. But the shape or profile, rounded or thin would be more prevalent and not that consistent from year to year.

On 9/28/2020 at 5:19 AM, uncle fester said:

Do you feel either neck enables any style playing better, or just a thing to get used to?

Because of the wide range of neck profiles/fretboard widths, I just pick up whatever guitar or bass I feel like playing that particular day without giving it much thought.