Gibson Brands Forums

Help IDing this sadly destroyed vintage ES? Gibson

First off I DID NOT do this to this guitar. Today I bought an amp from a local young person (a '56 Rickenbacker M-11 all original everything!) here in SoCal that had belonged to his deceased grandfather. While selling me the amp and noting my interest in old gear, the kid said "Wish I would have saved the guitar that came with it." Then he told me the very sad story about how he "made art" out of the guitar. I asked what he meant, and he showed me this photo. AWFUL. He did save the tailpiece, saddle and DeArmond pickup and harness from the destroyed guitar, and gave them to me with the amp. This photo just really makes me ill, but I am hoping to ID the guitar from the photo so that I might date the pickup. I'm not sure what I'm doing with the pickup, tailpiece and saddle just yet, but I'm leaning toward selling them as they're too sad to keep around here. So, anybody with an eagle eye able to decipher the date/model of this destroyed guitar? Thank you!

broken_Gibson.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On September 27, 2020 at 9:57 PM, Mickrhodes said:

First off I DID NOT do this to this guitar. Today I bought an amp from a local young person (a '56 Rickenbacker M-11 all original everything!) here in SoCal that had belonged to his deceased grandfather. While selling me the amp and noting my interest in old gear, the kid said "Wish I would have saved the guitar that came with it." Then he told me the very sad story about how he "made art" out of the guitar. I asked what he meant, and he showed me this photo. AWFUL. He did save the tailpiece, saddle and DeArmond pickup and harness from the destroyed guitar, and gave them to me with the amp. This photo just really makes me ill, but I am hoping to ID the guitar from the photo so that I might date the pickup. I'm not sure what I'm doing with the pickup, tailpiece and saddle just yet, but I'm leaning toward selling them as they're too sad to keep around here. So, anybody with an eagle eye able to decipher the date/model of this destroyed guitar? Thank you!

broken_Gibson.jpg

Hope grandpa haunts this fool every night. What a waste.