Gibson Brands Forums

New tune: "Canadian, Texas"

dhanners623

I've started work on an EP, although it may grow into something longer. It is titled, "Murder Ballads of the Texas Panhandle" and is an assortment of originals. Some are true stories and some are not. "Canadian, Texas" is one of the true ones.

Tried it on the J-35 and while it sounded good, the Farida OT-22 brought out more of the clipped sound I was looking for.

Edited by dhanners623

Nice job, David. I thinking just the other day that we've not had a new song of yours recently. I think me, you and Lars are the only ones posting originals these days. With any regularity, anyhow.

I agree with you on your guitar sound selection. It very much suits. I dig the story. Started to imagine Stephen King writing Texas murder songs. I also imagine a Sam Elliott accent near the end . "still demands penance".  I got plenty of the images as a result of the scene built within your lyrics. Well done, as always.

4 hours ago, PatriotsBiker said:

Nice job, David. I thinking just the other day that we've not had a new song of yours recently. I think me, you and Lars are the only ones posting originals these days. With any regularity, anyhow.

I agree with you on your guitar sound selection. It very much suits. I dig the story. Started to imagine Stephen King writing Texas murder songs. I also imagine a Sam Elliott accent near the end . "still demands penance".  I got plenty of the images as a result of the scene built within your lyrics. Well done, as always.

Thanks for the kind words. Seems a lot of songs like this I'm talking instead of singing. I'm not much of a melodic songwriter, but I may have fallen into a routine that works.

I'm from East Central Illinois but lived in Texas for nearly two decades. I learned to throw in that accent out of self-defense.

And yeah, I'd love to hear more songs from folks....

On 9/28/2020 at 12:16 PM, dhanners623 said:

Thanks for the kind words. Seems a lot of songs like this I'm talking instead of singing. I'm not much of a melodic songwriter, but I may have fallen into a routine that works.

I'm from East Central Illinois but lived in Texas for nearly two decades. I learned to throw in that accent out of self-defense.

And yeah, I'd love to hear more songs from folks....

I was talking about melodic singing and singing with movement and flow very recently with someone. It's something I've only recently tried to internalize. Not so great results, but I'll get there. 

My latest was abouta week ago. Might still be on the first page on the acoustic forum.

Hey David, I like this one. I don't mind your “spoken” singing style at all. I think it goes together well with the choppy rhythmic drive of the song. Nothing wrong with having a personal style. With that said, If you could switch up the vocal styles, lets say between “spoken” verses and more regularly sung choruses, that could be used to great effect too. However, I guess such an approach would be more naturally suited to a song with a longer and more traditional chorus.

Lars

6 hours ago, northcntryblues said:

This is cool.  I never knew there was anything Canadian about Texas!

Both have wide, open spaces. Particularly in the Texas Panhandle. The town is named after the Canadian River, which itself has nothing to do with Canada. There is some dispute over how the river got its name.

As an update, I went in the studio Wednesday and recorded the tune for my upcoming EP. Changed the key so I sing it a bit better, and changed a couple of lines. Happy with how it came out.

Edited by dhanners623

2 hours ago, dhanners623 said:

As an update, I went in the studio Wednesday and recorded the tune for my upcoming EP. Changed the key so I sing it a bit better, and changed a couple of lines. Happy with how it came out.

Ah, you're doing what I aspire to have the skill and confidence to do one day.

I will gladly buy a CD, or a download when you are ready!

Lars

Songs like this, imho, do come off better - more dramatically - when not sung.  Too much melody (and rhyming and other poetic devices)  even when in a minor key - distract from the somber subject.   Great performance all round !  (4 stars -  had to deduct one for not using a Gibby !  LOL) 

2 hours ago, kelly campbell said:

David ,  Please let us know when you are done and it is available,  Please.  thanks

Will do. My current plan is to have it available on my website and/or BandCamp. It'll be six or seven songs and they'll be free. I like money, but I gave up the profit motive when it comes to music a long time ago....