Gibson Brands Forums

Tone Variation

parisdobermans

Legend also has it the lack of maple adds snap to the SG. Never understood that double standard in marketing

I’m skeptical how much difference it would make but I wouldn’t be surprised either if it did make a noticeable difference. Maple is much more dense than mahogany. I used to think these things are silly but there probably is actually something to it. Whether or not that something is important is the question (for me). I would guess it would be a very minute difference

1 hour ago, Dub-T-123 said:

Legend also has it the lack of maple adds snap to the SG. Never understood that double standard in marketing

I’m skeptical how much difference it would make but I wouldn’t be surprised either if it did make a noticeable difference. Maple is much more dense than mahogany. I used to think these things are silly but there probably is actually something to it. Whether or not that something is important is the question (for me). I would guess it would be a very minute difference

Well the SG Modern has a maple cap. Not aware if any comparisons have been made? I would be delighted to know for sure one way or the other.

My 339 Studio has a maple neck. When buying I thought it sounded a tad brighter than the hogs I had just spent 3/4 hour playing, but I couldn't be sure. Blind test? I would probably be guessing. I agree with the consensus. If there is a difference, its gonna be small. 

On the other hand, I have 2 guitars made entirely from maple and they don't seem overly bright at all. They are pretty heavy though. I can tell that in the dark.

As BBP said, Yes.

So many variables though. Density, size, type, etc.

Take a broomstick and attach a string to it (i made mine tunable!). notice the sound plucking the string by itself. Now lay the broomstick on a cardboard box and pluck again. Notice the difference in sound. Now lay the stick on a piece of wood and try it again. Continue with different materials and notice the differences in tone. Although you have not changed the stick and string, the tone changes with different materials. It may have a different tone using two  separate pieces of the same type of wood although not real noticeable but it's there.  Same with nut materials. In my adventures  i found that the softer the material the duller the sound. The harder the material, the pingy-er the sound. Just have to find the right material that suites your ears. Good vibrations and body gyrations and POOF your a performer!

I know not of what i speak, just my opinion😉

Edited by gdecant1
Just being stupid!

I don't think it will sound "significantly" different, but should make a little difference.  I think tonewoods have a lot more to do with how acoustic guitars sound, not so much with a solid body played through an amp.  If you are looking for a classic Les Paul sound, just stick with the traditional maple cap and don't chance it.

On 9/29/2020 at 9:03 AM, Dub-T-123 said:

I have an SG Standard with the same family of pickups that's in my 95 standard.  (490T/498R) I can assure you... 100%,, the '95 standard is a brighter sounding guitar.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, SteveFord said:

The plastic pickguard makes a lot of difference.  On, off and is it period correct?

What if you leave the plastic film on your pick guard? That's where all the sweet tone is.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

22 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

You got one!? 😮

Yep, it shipped today. It's a 2015 50th Ann.  Martin D-35 Std. They made a run if 100 Braz limited edition ones that year with a wedge of Braz RW, and the rest Madagascar RW, European Spruce top, I just saw one online for $3200 used of course, and it had buckle rash. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

6 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I'm not sure which side of the fine line between stylish & tacky that lies...  but I'd tip them 'em an extra dollar if I was buying it.

and hey, free shipping! 

2 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

I'm not sure which side of the fine line between stylish & tacky that lies...  but I'd tip them 'em an extra dollar if I was buying it.

and hey, free shipping! 

Give that the EEEEBe tuning and let Stephen Stills bash the hell out of it on Suite Judy Blue Eyes.

Here is this one if you are feeling a little less manly. The back I will have to say is an absolute disaster.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Martin/D42PURPLEMARTIN-Limited-Edition-Flamed-Myrtle-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Guitar-Natural-1500000317614.gc?pfm=item_page.rrt1|CategorySiloedViewCP

Edited by Sgt. Pepper