Gibson Brands Forums
merciful-evans

lets have your photos

Rocky coast on the East Side with almost no people for miles.

7njdQ7v.jpg

The West Side, with a few hidden beaches is a bit more crowded..

5cKbgw7.jpg

Edited by mihcmac

Hey, somebody caught a Gopher Snake - I always thought those things were such cool animals.

Was that one well behaved?

It's a young Grey Butcher Bird - got it's name from the way it catches it's prey and lodges it in  a fork in the branches and strips pieces off with it's beak - it does look a little like a Kookaburra but much smaller. It was in my back yard earlier this year ( when I took this shot)  and I fed it some mince beef for a while. Most other birds try to force it away, I think they're known to steal new hatched chicks from other birds nests  ... and eat them.

Edited by Brucebubs

3 hours ago, Brucebubs said:

It's a young Grey Butcher Bird - got it's name from the way it catches it's prey and lodges it in  a fork in the branches and strips pieces off with it's beak - it does look a little like a Kookaburra but much smaller. It was in my back yard earlier this year ( when I took this shot)  and I fed it some mince beef for a while. Most other birds try to force it away, I think they're known to steal new hatched chicks from other birds nests  ... and eat them.

Yes I couldn't get the notion of Kingfisher out of my mind, but Kookaburra was what I was searching for. Thanks. 

More interesting than my back garden wildlife for sure.

14 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Hey, somebody caught a Gopher Snake - I always thought those things were such cool animals.

Was that one well behaved?

Yes, very well behaved.  Nice, big, healthy snake.

Brucebubs I took a vacation in Australia in 2018 - 5 weeks in a camper van from Brisbane to Cape Trib to Dawin to Kangroo Island to Sydney and I recognize much of what you are posting. It was a beautiful vacation, and although the wildlife and scenery were both beautiful, the best part was the Australian people. They were frenziedly, cheerful, and welcoming.

UYmorXs.jpg

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Notes_Norton said:

Brucebubs I took a vacation in Australia in 2018 - 5 weeks in a camper van from Brisbane to Cape Trib to Dawin to Kangroo Island to Sydney and I recognize much of what you are posting. It was a beautiful vacation, and although the wildlife and scenery were both beautiful, the best part was the Australian people. They were frenziedly, cheerful, and welcoming.

UYmorXs.jpg

Cool .. and that's a nice shot of a Kookaburra too.

My garden.

Following the photo, I had to dismantle this girls web. It was built across the hedging at my front gate. Had lost two legs somewhere previously too.

72337281_903632386675525_431894716356545

• Like 1

Came across this picture yesterday - not mine - poor kid, what's going on with her legs?

SjrZ6pdh.jpg

If you look carefully - she's carrying a bag of popcorn!

I was stationed on the one in the closest row of 3 moored up to the peir. The hull number is 1708 and was named after Vashon Island.

3zEvfuJ.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper