Gibson Brands Forums

I wrote, recorded, and posted this song a few months ago, but I couldn't do it justice vocally. I have been practicing quite a bit since then, and last night I finished recording new vocals They say practice makes perfect. This is not perfect, but I believe it's a big step forward.

I wonder if you might be so kind and have a listen and share your thoughts?

Lars 

Edited by Lars68

Lars,

I think your guitar playing and vocals are quite nice. However, the problem seems to be the quality of the recording itself. I'm at a loss to accurately describe the overlying distortion (static?/rumble?) that pollutes the cleanliness of the sound, and detracts from what is otherwise a nice tune.

I'm sure there are others here who also produce their own recordings ( I don't) who can give you much better advice and counsel than I can.

RBSinTo

2 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

Lars,

I think your guitar playing and vocals are quite nice. However, the problem seems to be the quality of the recording itself. I'm at a loss to accurately describe the overlying distortion (static?/rumble?) that pollutes the cleanliness of the sound, and detracts from what is otherwise a nice tune.

I'm sure there are others here who also produce their own recordings ( I don't) who can give you much better advice and counsel than I can.

RBSinTo

Thanks so much for listening. I ran my track through an automated ”mastering “ thing that Soundcloud provides. I think that what’s messing the sound up. It should be fixable with some trial and error.

Lars

Edit: just replaced the track above with one that should have less rumble and noice.

Edited by Lars68

How did you record that? Vocals and guitar at once with 2 mics?
I asked because I hear some phasing that can be caused if 2 mics pic up the the same signal from different positions. That phasing can also be caused by your mastering software if you use sound field effects (widener, etc.).

Edited by Peter Z

9 hours ago, Peter Z said:

How did you record that? Vocals and guitar at once with 2 mics?
I asked because I hear some phasing that can be caused if 2 mics pic up the the same signal from different positions. That phasing can also be caused by your mastering software if you use sound field effects (widener, etc.).

Thanks for the tip! Each track is recorded seperately, so at least that should not be the issue. I'll investigate...

Lars

I found some kind of “stereo enhancement” filter that was accidentally turned on.  I think Soundcloud was going wild with it. So once again, I put up a new track above...

Lars

Lars, it will show up with a set of decent "consumer" cans that don't spread the sound field out like audiophile grade cans. I don't think Grados will expose much at all. I didn't hear it with my elegia's, but I do hear it very obviously with my Sony MDR-1AM2. No doubt a low-mid phase warble thing.

Edit: Also shows up with my Wife's Bose, but to a less extent than my Sony's.

Edited by PatriotsBiker

Sounds ok on my iPhone. It is quite an improvement over your original of several weeks ago! Good job.

My only comments involve two small aspects of the lyrics and delivery of the first two lines of the chorus:

— I feel there should be a bit of a pause after “Some dreams grow wings and fly.” Give us a couple of beats to breathe that line in, to picture it in our minds.

— I still am not a fan of the word “whither” in the next line. If the dream crashes, it won’t whither. It’ll die on impact. Things that starve whither. Things that don’t get proper nutrients whither. If it crashes, it makes a hole in the ground.

Thanks for helping me, guys. This is why I come here with my songs, time and time again. I think I eventually need to re-record this one.

Lars

As some of you might have guessed by now, giving up on my music is not an option for me. I keep trying until the cows go home...

So, I reworked all the vocals for the song, changed a chord in the chorus, and added an organ to the last verse. It’s finally starting to fall into place. Here is what I have.

Lars

https://soundcloud.com/lars1968/grow-wings-fly-3

Sometimes I record things, only to listen the next day and delete them and say “what was I thinking.”

Dont ever stop. You have improved so much. I think all of us in this same journey have. It’s a great hobby and it keeps us sane. We do it for ourselves alone. We will never be famous and have a Bruce song... but that’s more than fine.

Man, the first time you hear a song with a chord changed in the chorus after hearing it many times can be disruptive to ones vibe. 🙂   The funny thing, is that when you hear it again, you have difficulties remembering the old way. 

Lars, this is a case where very good gets replaced by very good, IMHO. I wish the most recent version was up there still to compare with. That was a good one as well. Least I thought so.

Was this one mastered through that SoundCloud Mastering functionality thing?

3 hours ago, Salfromchatham said:

Sometimes I record things, only to listen the next day and delete them and say “what was I thinking.” .......

Oh, man, how true. It's amazing what fresh ears will reveal the next morning.

7 hours ago, Salfromchatham said:

Sometimes I record things, only to listen the next day and delete them and say “what was I thinking.”

Dont ever stop. You have improved so much. I think all of us in this same journey have. It’s a great hobby and it keeps us sane. We do it for ourselves alone. We will never be famous and have a Bruce song... but that’s more than fine.

Well, said, Sal!

My various iterations of this song could very well be used as my application for treatment at Overthinkers Anonymous. I've lost count of how many times I've thought “I got it now. Finally, this time it works”, just to realize the next morning I made the whole thing worse 😩

6 minutes ago, fretplay said:

Well I like it Lars, good song good story, just leave it as it is.

Thanks!