Gibson Brands Forums

Restringing your guitar

Dub-T-123

I think the way that works for you that leaves your guitar able to stay in tune, specially after bending a few notes, is corect. There are many different ways to lock the strings in so they won't slip. My electrics get the most attention which my one at a time method works for them. My acoustic may wait a while till the strings are dead or showing signs of rust. 

I have been performing all the work on my guitars for a very long time, never using tech's because I believe they can only get you close to how your guitar should be setup. Not taking measurements using my eyeball, feel, the play and adjust method I have setup some real screamers.

Edited by mihcmac

But... then again.. for most tuning problems that are a result of "bending" notes,  I always look at the nut first.  New strings should settle down and tuning stabilize after a few hours of playing.  

If a nut slot is too tight the string isn't moving freely in the slot.  Bend the note, and the string doesn't quite return to where it was prior, that's where most of the tuning issues will be found. Especially on guitars that have the head stock slanting back like Gibson's do.

Keep some Big Bends nut sauce or some other string lube on hand!  or, to test the theory, Vaseline works in a pinch but wont last as long. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, badbluesplayer said:

I don't really have any problems with tuning.  I use the "over then under" method for regular tuners.  Some of my guitars have locking tuners

Tuning issues with Gibsons is way blown out of reality.  provided the setup on your axe is good to go ( including regulation of the nut and saddle..) they are just as stale as any other builder.

it's almost always the nut.  The right files, a little known how, and bout 15 minutes, it it's solved until the nuts worn down and needs to be looked at again.

what Gibson is notoriously bad at from the Factory is cutting the nut, I don't think they do a dam thing with them once they put them on the neck.  it's probably the single most important contact point for tuning and action in the lower first few frets.

moral of the story..  when ya'll buy a new guitar, do it and you..  a favor, get it setup...

Edited by kidblast
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, kidblast said:

But... then again.. for most tuning problems that are a result of "bending" notes,  I always look at the nut first.  New strings should settle down and tuning stabilize after a few hours of playing.  

If a nut slot is too tight the string isn't moving freely in the slot.  Bend the note, and the string doesn't quite return to where it was prior, that's where most of the tuning issues will be found. Especially on guitars that have the head stock slanting back like Gibson's do.

Keep some Big Bends nut sauce or some other string lube on hand!  or, to test the theory, Vaseline works in a pinch but wont last as long. 

I do have strings that get caught on the nut.  Do you think something like Nut sauce is the way to go - I was thinking a trip to widen the slots a bit was in order.

2 minutes ago, uncle fester said:

I do have strings that get caught on the nut.  Do you think something like Nut sauce is the way to go - I was thinking a trip to widen the slots a bit was in order.

IMO first set up the nut correctly then add lubrication. I would use graphite before using Vaseline or something like that

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, uncle fester said:

Jesus H. boroow a nail file from Mrs or one of the kids and spend the entire 15 seconds it takes to alleviate a bound up nut.  Holy crap I can't  believe the acres and acres of internet real estate taken up by something we never. ever. thought about.

rct

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rct said:

Jesus H. boroow a nail file from Mrs or one of the kids and spend the entire 15 seconds it takes to alleviate a bound up nut.  Holy crap I can't  believe the acres and acres of internet real estate taken up by something we never. ever. thought about.

rct

well,,,.......  act--chally... ya really need nut files, or,, something small enough like the gas element cleaners,  (which really aren't thin enough for all slots) to get into the G, B and E slots..

a set of nut files runs one bout 60 bucks if you shop em out.  worth it if you have a buncha  guitars, if ya don't,, a good setup is about the same...

how ever,, that said,, with the right tools,, ya,, it takes a few minutes, and really,, the problem goes away.

Edited by kidblast
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, uncle fester said:

I use it on my acoustics, in the nut slots and on the bridge.  But your slots need to be the right size. The G is usually the one that goes "PING" alot.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, rct said:

rct

It’s not really a big enough problem to be front and center, but if you want to look for something to fix - I could focus there.  

sorry I’m not an expert guitar guy, seems to rub you the wrong way, just trying to learn

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I use it on my acoustics, in the nut slots and on the bridge.  But your slots need to be the right size. The G is usually the one that goes "PING" alot.

I need to pay more attention, but think it’s the A string gives me the most trouble

36 minutes ago, uncle fester said:

It’s not really a big enough problem to be front and center, but if you want to look for something to fix - I could focus there.  

sorry I’m not an expert guitar guy, seems to rub you the wrong way, just trying to learn

No, you aren't an expert guitar guy, you are a guy asking folks about sticky nut(s).  Those experts should be able to give you far more than buy some tube of gunk and ejaculate it all over yer nut.  Seriously, it takes about 15 seconds, you can do it with the appropriate string for that slot if you don't have any smal serrated thing.  I've fixed nut slots with a butter knife.  Really.  It's just a guitar and there isn't anything on it that can't be fixed, most things quite simply.

rct

• Like 1

If I actually have to fool with a nut seriously, I use Mrs jewelry files.  Sure, you can get them to the string gauge I know, but really, if you are just trying to unstick a slot it takes one or two passes on each side with a decent super fine file and you won't have that problem any longer.  I'm not saying go in there with a hacksaw or lean on it with all of your weight.  It's just plastic or bone, it doesn't take much at all to free up a sticky string.  Same for depth, which most nut fixing is actually slots that are TOO deep, so it's some filler and filing or a new nut.

rct

• Like 1

Yes.  I don't know why anyone would spend time applying some stuff to a thing that you can never ever have to deal with again with just a minute or two with even a folded piece of sandpaper and some thick eyeglasses.

rct

52 minutes ago, kidblast said:

Tuning issues with Gibsons is way blown out of reality.  provided the setup on your axe is good to go ( including regulation of the nut and saddle..) they are just as stale as any other builder.

it's almost always the nut.  The right files, a little known how, and bout 15 minutes, it it's solved until the nuts worn down and needs to be looked at again.

what Gibson is notoriously bad at from the Factory is cutting the nut, I don't think they do a dam thing with them once they put them on the neck.  it's probably the single most important contact point for tuning and action in the lower first few frets.

moral of the story..  when ya'll buy a new guitar, do it and you..  a favor, get it setup...

The historic reissues these days have nylon nuts which work great in regards to not binding in the slots. And yes the past USA production guitars I have seen more issues on - and they have been corian I believe for a large majority of the time. The new Standards have graphite now I believe, so hopefully that helps... 

But agreed get a setup if you can’t do it yourself. Play the thing the way it was supposedly made to. And once this happens, tuning issues that have been blown out of proportion just “go away”. 

So to me it’s a combination of a properly slotted nut definitely and material it’s made of. I prefer anything that’s nylon, graphite, bone, etc. 

59 minutes ago, rct said:

If I actually have to fool with a nut seriously, I use Mrs jewelry files.  Sure, you can get them to the string gauge I know, but really, if you are just trying to unstick a slot it takes one or two passes on each side with a decent super fine file and you won't have that problem any longer.  I'm not saying go in there with a hacksaw or lean on it with all of your weight.  It's just plastic or bone, it doesn't take much at all to free up a sticky string.  Same for depth, which most nut fixing is actually slots that are TOO deep, so it's some filler and filing or a new nut.

rct

yea  any thing for a substitute is a good plan cuz nut files are expensive, not worth the cost unless you have a closet full of guitars that need work.  And you need a set for each string gauge.  so another set for acoustics..  that's close to 2 hunnerd buks.

gas element cleaners do come close, it's not exact however, it will suffice.

I have access to a set of files, (my buddy who dabbles in ebay stuff has a set)..  It makes a difference in how quickly and effeciently you get the job done, but man be careful, one or two passes to many, and it's no TOO low.

3 hours ago, rct said:

Yes.  I don't know why anyone would spend time applying some stuff to a thing that you can never ever have to deal with again with just a minute or two with even a folded piece of sandpaper and some thick eyeglasses.

rct

Maybe you want to use different gauges? I use Big Bends, and I've gone from 46 to 5..6? and back with no issues. Not sure but I think the nut sauce helped. 

I make that assumption based on very little, but still. Protective coating or something.

I like the folded piece of sandpaper approach (sometimes with the string inside using very fine), just get the break angle right and when you fold the sandpaper scratch the grit off the bottom of the fold so you don't dig the notch deeper, just widening. This method should not take very long. Also I think nut sauce is very helpful if you use a tremolo...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rct said:

If I actually have to fool with a nu.  St seriously, I use Mrs jewelry files.  Sure, you can get them to the string gauge I know, but really, if you are just trying to unstick a slot it takes one or two passes on each side with a decent super fine file and you won't have that problem any longer.  I'm not saying go in there with a hacksaw or lean on it with all of your weight.  It's just plastic or bone, it doesn't take much at all to free up a sticky string.  Same for depth, which most nut fixing is actually slots that are TOO deep, so it's some filler and filing or a new nut.

rct

You mean, my Nuts need Filling? [scared]  Seriously, That I have never done before on any guitar in 54 years.  Haha, Is that a really bad thing? 

11 hours ago, Retired said:

Sorry, Thats the only post for this day. My eyes are very blurry again and can't make out the key board too well. 

Sorry to hear it retired, good karmic thoughts for clearer vision coming your way.  Hoping when your eyes go blurry you can still pick up a guitar and pass the time 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Retired said:

You mean, my Nuts need Filling? [scared]  Seriously, That I have never done before on any guitar in 54 years.  Haha, Is that a really bad thing? 

I hope this post finds you on a day with better eyes, take care of that please.

But yes, sometimes nuts need filling if you don't feel like putting in a new one(like me), or you are in a bad way until you get a new one.  Sometimes nut slots get filed too low.  How low is too low?  The official answer is that a string should sit in the nut up to the half way point.  So getting a 10 E string in an 0 5 nut slot is kinda tricky.

So halfway up is close enough.  I keep mine shallower than that because over time the strings will find their way down, even the skinny ones.  Yes, I push them out of the nut slots occasionally while vigorously bending, but that's ok.  17 years with my Les Paul and I pushed the G out of the nut slot a few times a night.

So if the slot is TOO low it starts causing problems setting the guitar up right.  Sawdust and super glue it it's bone, or bone dust and super glue if you have some bone pieces laying around.  Literally any plastic dust and super glue for the nylon/plastic nuts.  Mix it thick, fill in the slot, let it set up good hour or so, file it out to a real nut.

rct

• Like 1