Gibson Brands Forums

1945 Gibson J45

filipem

9 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

When I bought my 1937 Gibson L-0 which looks like a box of splinters, I had to really impress upon friends and relatives that the guitar was going to stay that way, please! I just had a thought of the father in law so proud of refinishing the old table he gave us (we liked it a bit shabby - shabby chic!), that I imagined coming home to find he had come over and give it a coat of something to make it look a bit better and more respectable. I-I-Yi- I- Yi.

But the old L-0 was half ruined by previous owners and the J45 above is perfect! Just needs a tweak!

BluesKing777.

Don't be so hard on previous owners.  There was a time when these guitars were not "vintage" but simply used.  And we did things to them folks today would never think of.   Bridges started lifting you drilled some holes in the lower bout and attached a tailpiece.  When tuners started slipping they were out of there.  And if the guitar looked a bit too shabby you stripped off what remained of the finish.  There was a time when Martin oversprayed guitars so they went home looking nice and shiny while it you sent a guitar to Kalamazoo it came back with whatever replacement parts they happened to be using at the time.  If a top was badly damaged rather than piecing it back together you got as new one.

10 hours ago, filipem said:

LOL thanks for heads up it's my first time here but I've been on other forums for years I know the drill. Thanks for your response I believe the top is mahogany to me as well definitely not spruce.

thanks for the information. As i mentioned the guitar is not mine but a friends. I gave him the same advice about seeking out a reputable Luthier about regarding the repairs. 

I didn't play it. The strings on it looked really old I didn't want to try to tune it in fear of snapping a string, that and coupled with the fact that the neck heel is separating from the body gave me reservations about playing it.  I was shown the guitar and took a quick look over, took some pictures and put it back in the case. To be honest I had no idea of how rare and valuable it is (still don't) and I didn't want to mess around with much.  

I'm located in  Ontario in the GTA area. Anyone know of a good luthier in the area that knows their way around vintage acoustics? 

Twelfth Fret on Danforth just east of Woodbine is where I'd start. Their Luthiers are first-rate, which I know from personal experience.

RBSinTo

Thank you everyone, this thread has been very  informative and helpful. Tons of great info for the owner. There is no way I would have sorted out all of this information about this guitar on my own. 

I'll mention the 12th fret to the owner. I don't think He lives is too far from there. 

7 hours ago, filipem said:

Thank you everyone, this thread has been very  informative and helpful. Tons of great info for the owner. There is no way I would have sorted out all of this information about this guitar on my own. 

I'll mention the 12th fret to the owner. I don't think He lives is too far from there. 

Filipem,

Tell your friend to go to Twelfth Fret's website first. The bricks and mortar store is closed except for on-line purchases, and repairs. But there are strict protocols which must be followed to have a guitar repaired, and you can't just show up unannounced  and deliver an instrument. emailed paperwork back and forth first. I know because my  j45 is currently there for work. 

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It's definitely a '46. Here's mine currently undergoing a slight "nip and tuck".  Spruce top, one piece Mahogany back and sides...and yes, after consulting quite a few notable luthiers, it was determined, given the variety of bridges showing up on J-45s in the '40s, it is original. It will back to me before Christmas. If interested (including international), let me know.

IMG-0849.jpg