Gibson Brands Forums

Eddie Van Halen, RIP

OrdinaryNimda

What ever!!!

Why bother posting a reply then Pitch.

Not interested move on.  I'm interested.  I grew up in So Cal during the bands early years.  That was LA rock all day and all night long.  

Eddie Van Halen set the bar pretty high.  He was a gifted musician.

You will be missed EVH.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Californiaman said:

What ever!!!

Why bother posting a reply then Pitch.

Not interested move on.  I'm interested.  I grew up in So Cal during the bands early years.  That was LA rock all day and all night long.  

Eddie Van Halen set the bar pretty high.  He was a gifted musician.

You will be missed EVH.

To offer my condolences to his loved ones. But I get what you mean. 

Damn, not many rock stars left. 

R.I.P.   He achieved what we all dream about; quite a guy, lived a life of extraordinary highs and lows. 

A lot of people copied him but no-one else played like him if you see what I mean.

Will never be forgotten - already sadly missed.

Edited by jdgm

1 hour ago, Pinch said:

Zero interest in VH (could never get past a single video, they all looked like Special Ed (no pun intended) Teletubbies on laughing gas), but sad for his loved ones. 

I was only into VH for their videos.

Come on man that guy even if you don't like them, he was a game changer. VHII is still the pimp. And the first one is the classic. Those harmonics he did on the fly were amazing. 

1 hour ago, Pinch said:

To offer my condolences to his loved ones. But I get what you mean. 

Damn, not many rock stars left. 

Yeah, it's too bad too.

It seems rock; the big show that once was, is unfortunately dying too.

There are still some bands and musicians, that bring it every time I see them play. But they're older musicians who have found themselves in the so called super groups.

But new rock.  Just don't see it.

The firs time I heard Eruption I was tubing down the Salt in Az. Both sides of the river were wall to wall trucks for a few miles with KDKB crankin on their radios. I was pretty toasted from the sun, but it sounded incredible.

Edited by mihcmac

Eddie Van Halen was so far BEYOND being just "an influential guitar player".  Before Eddie, the heavy guitar players at that time were Pat Travers, Ted Nugent, Buck Dharma, Michael Schenker, and the boys from Thin Lizzy.  Then ... 1978  arrived with "Eruption" from Van Halen I.  I still remember sitting around the turntable and hearing it for the first time.   "What the efff  was that????"   There was NOTHING even close to anything like it back then.  Nothing.  "Play that again, dude.  I need to hear that again."  To say that the musical topography had just been completely flipped on its head would be an epic understatement.   

Oh, and let's go  beyond his  ridiculous musicianship and guitar playing  for a second.   Let's not forget his incredible songwriting abilities.  The reason Van Halen was epic was because of his SONGS.  What a difference from Ratt , Dokken, and Motley Crue to Van Halen -- you need a rocket ship to cross that wide musical chasm.   Oh, and  then there was the showmanship.  I still remember being dumbfounded at many VH gigs thinking , "How can he play so amazing and  be able to run around and perform like he is not even playing????"    He was always  moving  -- running, sliding on the floor, jumping against his amps -- all the while playing the guitar at the absolute highest level.  It was ridiculous  what he could do.  

And for the people that never saw him live?  I feel sorry for you.  This dude was a national treasure, and a complete force of nature.  Purely AWESOME.

RIP, Eddie Van Halen ... You will be SORELY missed.

van-halen-78-040a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

RIP EVH, 

Innovative,  creative, iconoclastic are over used words that have been used to describe those rare artist who appear once in a generation,  if we are lucky. 

Eddie was all that and more, perhaps an reincarnation of Paganini,  or Amadeus,  or an accumulation of the spirits that many great masters have tapped into over the millennium,  who knows. He was just a kid who loved to play, like so many of us, like so many icons, Atkins, Hendrix,  Montgomery and others who took a simple instrument and took it to places nobody had imagined before.

He is now on to another plane,  God's Speed, EVH, 

We miss you already and forever,  see you on the other aide 

• Thanks 1

When I first heard Running With  the Devil I could not believe what I was hearing. "This", I thought, "is what rock is supposed to sound like".  

EVH was one of the best to ever play.  

I saw Van Halen  on Halloween night 1980, in Macon, Georgia.  One of the best concerts I've ever seen.  They were all wearing costumes.  And Eddie was fantastic.  And he made it seem so easy. And like he was having the best time ever. 

RIP Ed

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 01GT eibach said:

Eddie Van Halen was so far BEYOND being just "an influential guitar player".  Before Eddie, the heavy guitar players at that time were Pat Travers, Ted Nugent, Buck Dharma, Michael Schenker, and the boys from Thin Lizzy.  Then ... 1978  arrived with "Eruption" from Van Halen I.  I still remember sitting around the turntable and hearing it for the first time.   "What the efff  was that????"   There was NOTHING even close to anything like it back then.  Nothing.  "Play that again, dude.  I need to hear that again."  To say that the musical topography had just been completely flipped on its head would be an epic understatement.   

Oh, and let's go  beyond his  ridiculous musicianship and guitar playing  for a second.   Let's not forget his incredible songwriting abilities.  The reason Van Halen was epic was because of his SONGS.  What a difference from Ratt , Dokken, and Motley Crue to Van Halen -- you need a rocket ship to cross that wide musical chasm.   Oh, and  then there was the showmanship.  I still remember being dumbfounded at many VH gigs thinking , "How can he play so amazing and  be able to run around and perform like he is not even playing????"    He was always  moving  -- running, sliding on the floor, jumping against his amps -- all the while playing the guitar at the absolute highest level.  It was ridiculous  what he could do.  

And for the people that never saw him live?  I feel sorry for you.  This dude was a national treasure, and a complete force of nature.  Purely AWESOME.

RIP, Eddie Van Halen ... You will be SORELY missed.

van-halen-78-040a.jpg

Spot on dude...  Well said!  

Eddie was the only guy whom upon my first listen I thought, "Well, crap! what's the point... May as well try something else, maybe a  hammer dulcimer ..."   

Seriously that first album blew my brains out.   "How the F--- is he doing this???"

• Like 1