Gibson Brands Forums

Black stains in the binding

Fernandorivasc

Hello thanks for having me, I recently bought a 2016 Gibson Les Paul standard and everything in it is a dream come true, but there is a detail.

The binding (cream binding) in the areas that you sit and play, I think this guitar was mostly used sitting down by the previous owner, are a little bit black stained. 

Areas like the arm rest and mostly the lower (only) horn. Is not super obvious from far but I can see it a lot.

I've read that NAFTA can take it out but I want to make sure.

Do polishing with heavy cut compound will solve this.

Any suggestions guys?

Thanks in advanced.

20201007_100801-02.jpeg

20201007_100807-01.jpeg

20201007_100749-01.jpeg

I had this happen to my Rickenbacker 620. I had a black leather strap with black foam like edges that I left on the guitar when stored in the case. The strap was folded in half across the front & it left a black smear across the white binding. I was shocked when I opened the case one day (I normally use my Les Paul so the Ric was stored that way for a little bit). The Mr. Clean Magic Eraser did the trick for me. Use some painter's tape to protect the wood finish around the affected area of the binding & use a lot of elbow grease! Did the trick for me. Now I use an old T-shirt I cut to cover the entire neck & body of all my guitars when storing them in the case in order to keep this from happening again, as I try to keep the straps on the guitars. So far, no more incidients!

• Like 1