Gibson Brands Forums

CopperSound/ Jack White Collaboration - Third Man Triplegraph

Rabs

38 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Did Zeppelin do a song called Whole Lotta Nope?

Zeppelin did the Whole lot of love,  A relative  asked me to paint their house for nothing, so I came up with a song that said:  "That's a whole lot of Nope!" Lol. 

Just joking. 

I'm not really a Jack White fan boy - but appreciated his music and what he does with an instrument.   I really liked the white stripes, and the raconteurs are a real rock band in today's world of techno rap be bop hibidy dibidy dooo.    I agree though, feel he's kind of a poser,  and also don't understand why he was in the video w jimmy page.  

Yeah, I am not fanboy either but I do think hes one of the most original guitar players that has come along in many many years. He has been in three bands at once, he has his own sucesful record label and he has saved a vast amount of old blues recordings from being destroyed and is just a really hard worker.   I do agree he comes across as a bit of an Art Student type but if thats the worst anyone can say about him, thats  not bad really..

He absolutely deserved to be in that documentary as far as I am concerned. Certainly more that The Edge who is a mediocre guitar player at best in one of the most over hyped bands ever.

As for the pedal.. I would have no real use for it but it does look like something I would enjoy messing around with,

9 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I think Jack White goes out of his way to play cheap guitars that sound terrible. Never dug that guy or the White Stripes.

Why he was in that movie with Page is beyond me. The Edge too. Why was he there?

I saw the Stripes in about 2001 when they played with Jeff Beck in the Yardbirds bit of his live show.  Bloody good too.   I get Jack White totally though don't buy his stuff. 

The film was a missed opportunity I thought.  It didn't get loud at all really.

The pedal latching/momentary feature is good. 

Edited by jdgm

Funny.  I had a gig last Saturday night and brought this pedal up to my buddy who's son is Jack's manager. He said yeah for like $400. Then he told me the story (apparently it was in news but I hadn't heard) of how his son was called at the last minute to see if Jack could play SNL that night The original musical guest was fired by Lorne G. He had to fly from L.A. to Nashville and meet Jack and drummer and then they took private jet to NY and had to take Covid test and fill out a bunch of questionnaires about where they've been and who they had contact with etc before they could enter the studio. Paul Simon was going to also participate but that couldn't be organized in time. Our gig ended early enough that I got home in time to watch his performance. It certainly was different, and I liked it more than the electronic, choreographed, auto tuned stuff they usually have as "music" on SNL.

Not exactly on topic, but thought it was worth sharing. [rolleyes]

I watched Jack on SNL last weekend, and the one thing I will say was in the second song he was dressed nice, but other than that he did what he does and its not for me. I think in the first song he used a Fender Tele. Not his usual choice of a $49 Korean made obscure no name brand made with $25 worth of parts.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

5 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I watched Jack on SNL a few last weekend, and the one thing I will say was in the second song he was dressed nice, but other than that he did what he does and its not for me. I think in the first song he used a Fender Tele. Not his usual choice of a $49 Korean made obscure no name brand made with $25 worth of parts.

My folks always suggested that if I don't have anything nice to say, I shouldn't say anything, so I'll go on the limb here.. 

I don't quite get this guy.  I've watched enough of his performances,  I'm left wondering what I'm missing that everyone else seems to see.

2 hours ago, kidblast said:

My folks always suggested that if I don't have anything nice to say, I shouldn't say anything, so I'll go on the limb here.. 

I don't quite get this guy.  I've watched enough of his performances,  I'm left wondering what I'm missing that everyone else seems to see.

I said he dressed nice in the second song.

I remember my friend loaning me a White Stripes CD a while back. It is the one with Yorba Hotel and I Think I Smell A Rat on it. After about 5 songs I took it out of the CD player and I had enough of whatever they were calling the noise they were making.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

3 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I said he dressed nice in the second song.

I remember my friend loaning me a White Stripes CD a while back. It is the one with Yorba Hotel and I Think I Smell A Rat on it. After about 5 songs I took it out of the CD player and I had enough of whatever they were calling the noise they were making.

hey..  at least he knows how to dress  and he can practice and get better  so see.. there is hope.

well..... in this case, maybe not.

Oh no not mellower than mellow Jack Johnson. He is another one who bores me to tears.

John Mayer and Jack Johnson's baby would be a surfing pretty-boy who plays mellow guitar and cheats on all his girlfriends, but he did bang Taylor Swift and Jennifer Aniston and Jennifer Love Huge-titts and Jessica Simpson and Cameron Diaz and slew of others that dug his man meat and charm.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, ghost_of_fl said:

The point being, it is a well written song (IMO) and not at all what pops into most people's heads when they think 'Jack White'. 

Regarding the pedal in the OP: it is definitely a niche thing.  The White Stripes consisted of Jack and his sister on drums.  Since there was no bass player, he was able to use octave effects more heavily to fill the space. 

Now here's one for the peanut gallery: 

Name any other rock band with just 2 members who were as successful as the W. S. without using additional musicians for live concerts? 

I thought Meg was really his wife and that they just told everyone they were a bro and sis combo.

Not sure if the Black Keys ever did live shows with just them two.  The original T-Rex before the bongo player left and it was just  Marc and whoever. I think the Flat Duo Jets do.

13 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

The Black Keys Live

Black-Keys.jpg

T Rex Live

maxresdefault.jpg

The Flat Duo Who?  Ironically, Jack White lists them as an influence.   Would you say they were as successful at the White Stripes?  I would not. 

Yep, you are right - Meg was his wife.  

I have no clue who is popular anymore. I buy the albums of the groups I want to hear. I rarely listen to radio. Its all just either garbage country (and I am using the term "country" loosely) stations or classic rock. I own Led - Zeppelin IV on album so if I want to hear Stairway To Heaven I can put it on anytime I want.