Gibson Brands Forums

The unexpected just happened

Tman

Not guitar related and not the center of anyone's universe except me and my wife.  It's been  709.047548 days since the fire, that I've complained about on this forum, that took our material possessions (most of them anyway) - L.A. County's Woolsey Fire of November 9th, 2018.

Trying to get a permit has been pure hell. The last year and 11 months have certainly been stressful. Fire rebuilds were supposed to be expedited. 709 days seems long to me. A ban on gading (first step to building a house) goes into effect Thursday 10/15/20  and is in effect until April 15th, 2021  (rainy season in California).  If we didn't get our permit by noon today we would have had to wait until April to start because of the time it takes to get it done. Apparently they are very strict in enforcing the ban.  Since about last summer, I have been experiencing the psychological phenomenon of "Learned Helplessness". I'm the electrically shocked dog in the experiment. If not familiar, look it up, not kidding. Antidepressants are a good thing, at least temporarily.

One county official, a woman supervisor that bonded with my wife, took us under her wings and got it done at the last minute even though she was off today. We got the permit  at 10:02 A.M. (the math at the beginning of the post should be  pretty close). Psychologically I feel like a balloon that was filled to capacity and let go. Why am I posting here? I don't do other social media (not a judgment on anyone but me).

btw still not drinking although I thought about it for tonight but am working until 9 so the wife unit and I are going to forgo.

Cheers anyway,

Phillip

btw Milod (RIP) taught me to space any long post so people will read it. He was in the journalism business.

I'm sure you'll get plenty of good advice from the builders about how to protect your new home.

Congratulations and don't forget, we like pictures of the progress.

You know, your wife really should buy you a Firebird for good luck, they're known to rise from the ashes and go on to great things as you appear to be doing.  Hey, it couldn't hurt!

• Like 1

Good luck Tman;  I do not want to 'enable' you but a glass of wine might go down very well over the weekend.

I must mention I am having a beer right now and I raise my glass to you. 

I hope you continue to have good luck and stay safe and well.  All the best!

47 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

I'm sure you'll get plenty of good advice from the builders about how to protect your new home.

Congratulations and don't forget, we like pictures of the progress.

You know, your wife really should buy you a Firebird for good luck, they're known to rise from the ashes and go on to great things as you appear to be doing.  Hey, it couldn't hurt!

I love that idea  (Firebird) and as happy as she is right now I could probably slip it by! I'll post photos. Right now it is a semi excavated plot from the  demo. A lot of dog poop which I need to clean up this weekend. I'm actually looking forward to it.

29 minutes ago, jdgm said:

Good luck Tman;  I do not want to 'enable' you but a glass of wine might go down very well over the weekend.

I must mention I am having a beer right now and I raise my glass to you. 

I hope you continue to have good luck and stay safe and well.  All the best!

Thanks jdgm! My resolve is dissolving quickly. I was going to wait until the 26th (trying to do a month at a time) but what the hey, I think you're right!

Hoping for the best for you tman. [biggrin]

I'm up here in Sacramento. It's been lots of bad air, but I haven't had any flames close to me at all.

I hope California can think of some ways to prevent so much  wildfire from devestating so many lives. 

You'd think by now they would have? [confused]

1 hour ago, brad1 said:

Hoping for the best for you tman. [biggrin]

I'm up here in Sacramento. It's been lots of bad air, but I haven't had any flames close to me at all.

I hope California can think of some ways to prevent so much  wildfire from devestating so many lives. 

You'd think by now they would have? [confused]

You'd think,  I agree with you. Is it just me or is it really something that has gotten much worse in the last 10 years or so? I've been in CA for  close to 30 years now . Maybe it's because it directly affected us that I think that.

What part of Sacramento? I used to live in the Bay Area and would drive through Sac all the time in Winter. We would stop past you in Auburn and eat at Cafe Delicious. My daughter called it a "tradition". Mandatory.

Edited by Tman

I lived downtown Sacramento for about 26 years. I recently moved to the S. Land Park/Greenhaven area. Much nicer.  

I've also lived in Rancho Cordova and Folsom. 

Ive heard that cafe advertised on the radio, but never been there.  

jeezus, what a night mare.

I can't say "I feel your pain" but, in a way I sort of can.   

As I mentioned back this spring  we had a house fire in March, just as the pandemic shut everything down.  Took about 5 months for insurance to settle.  We are  almost 6 weeks into the rebuild.  

we went thru a pretty rough ride getting the settlement done, but I honestly CANNOT imagine the frustration and pain of having this drag on as long as it has for you.  That is just insane.  Thank GOD someone who has the ability to make a sensible move came along to assist.  But  it shouldn't have gotten to that point.  Ridiculous.  you have to wonder, if the people making up these rules and decisions would have done things differently if it was THEIR house?   You know the answer.. Buncha A$$ Hats...

Hang in there Phillip, better days will come.

Edited by kidblast
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Tman said:

Not guitar related and not the center of anyone's universe except me and my wife.  It's been  709.047548 days since the fire, that I've complained about on this forum, that took our material possessions (most of them anyway) - L.A. County's Woolsey Fire of November 9th, 2018.

Trying to get a permit has been pure hell. The last year and 11 months have certainly been stressful. Fire rebuilds were supposed to be expedited. 709 days seems long to me. A ban on gading (first step to building a house) goes into effect Thursday 10/15/20  and is in effect until April 15th, 2021  (rainy season in California).  If we didn't get our permit by noon today we would have had to wait until April to start because of the time it takes to get it done. Apparently they are very strict in enforcing the ban.  Since about last summer, I have been experiencing the psychological phenomenon of "Learned Helplessness". I'm the electrically shocked dog in the experiment. If not familiar, look it up, not kidding. Antidepressants are a good thing, at least temporarily.

One county official, a woman supervisor that bonded with my wife, took us under her wings and got it done at the last minute even though she was off today. We got the permit  at 10:02 A.M. (the math at the beginning of the post should be  pretty close). Psychologically I feel like a balloon that was filled to capacity and let go. Why am I posting here? I don't do other social media (not a judgment on anyone but me).

btw still not drinking although I thought about it for tonight but am working until 9 so the wife unit and I are going to forgo.

Cheers anyway,

Phillip

btw Milod (RIP) taught me to space any long post so people will read it. He was in the journalism business.

I am so glad for you Tman.  I drive by your area often, well now and again more like it, and I am truly excited for you.  The bureaucracy is indeed hell.  Having a supervisor help you through it is a Godsend.

Move forward now with the blessings of the Los Angeles Bureaucrats.  Even more reason to enjoy those beautiful views from your property.

17 hours ago, kidblast said:

jeezus, what a night mare.

I can't say "I feel your pain" but, in a way I sort of can.   

As I mentioned back this spring  we had a house fire in March, just as the pandemic shut everything down.  Took about 5 months for insurance to settle.  We are  almost 6 weeks into the rebuild.  

we went thru a pretty rough ride getting the settlement done, but I honestly CANNOT imagine the frustration and pain of having this drag on as long as it has for you.  That is just insane.  Thank GOD someone who has the ability to make a sensible move came along to assist.  But  it shouldn't have gotten to that point.  Ridiculous.  you have to wonder, if the people making up these rules and decisions would have done things differently if it was THEIR house?   You know the answer.. Buncha A$$ Hats...

Hang in there Phillip, better days will come.

You are spot on. Different story if it was their house. Laws get passed when things inconvenience lawmakers right?

16 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I wish you well & hope it works out Tman. 

Thanks M-E. Finally turning a corner. Attitude is getting better

16 hours ago, IanHenry said:

It's great to hear that Tman, and well done that Woman. Always good to see when someone goes above and beyond the call of duty.

We were so spent and living in the learned helplessness narrative when that happened. Still in a state of disbelief honestly.

12 hours ago, Californiaman said:

I am so glad for you Tman.  I drive by your area often, well now and again more like it, and I am truly excited for you.  The bureaucracy is indeed hell.  Having a supervisor help you through it is a Godsend.

Move forward now with the blessings of the Los Angeles Bureaucrats.  Even more reason to enjoy those beautiful views from your property.

Thanks Todd, Next time you're around please stop by. Hopefully we can show you a frame! With a glass of wine.

9 hours ago, rct said:

Good deal, brother.  And good luck with getting moving on it.

rct

Thanks RCT. Moving on is now the goal. I'm looking forward to starting a thread actually about guitars and not this. I see it in the near future. :-)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Building began last night. Brought this massive drill up to our place to drill 19 holes for rebar and concrete footings to stabilize the foundation. An engineer made a mistake in the report to the state which placed us in a serious review that resulted in us having to build like it was the empire state building. Oh well, at least it is started. 🙉

QQ3SyPo.jpg

• Like 2

All the best for 2021 Philip.

i doubt I'll ever see California but the coastal bits sound like an amazing place, where bright mInds and technology meet the worst of wanton destructive consumerism...like the birth and death of the world's future rolled into one!