Gibson Brands Forums

The unexpected just happened

Tman

12 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Well, the good news is - the same people who facilitate the massive fires and impede the re-building will soon be deciding if Californians can get the FDA approved CoronaVirus vaccines.      

You guys all say the same things.  Loathing your days away.  Forty years' regrets.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 'Scales said:

All the best for 2021 Philip.

i doubt I'll ever see California but the coastal bits sound like an amazing place, where bright mInds and technology meet the worst of wanton destructive consumerism...like the birth and death of the world's future rolled into one!

Dude - You're watching too much TV.

13 hours ago, Tman said:

Building began last night. Brought this massive drill up to our place to drill 19 holes for rebar and concrete footings to stabilize the foundation. An engineer made a mistake in the report to the state which placed us in a serious review that resulted in us having to build like it was the empire state building. Oh well, at least it is started. 🙉

QQ3SyPo.jpg

Back when I was worth something I used to do planning, engineering and getting permit approvals for real estate developers.  I can't imagine how much trouble it must be to get something like your rebuild approved.  Existing zoning non-conformity and time limits on rebuilds?  More that 50% damage to structure and Building Code implications.  Y'all probably are in a serious seismic zone too.  You mentioned the engineer was killing you with the foundation design...  Oh, those engineers!  😁

Here is a drone photo of the property after the fire. LA county used this photo to tell us that we had an unpermitted building on the property that has to be destroyed (the concrete bunker that actually survived). The destroyed building at the top of the photo next to the old driveway was our house.

ebNCvcS.jpg

We rebuilt the driveway and here is the photo I think you may be referring to? btw these checkered types of driveways may look cool but they are a pain on many levels.

zoMZ4iV.jpg

16 minutes ago, Tman said:

Here is a drone photo of the property after the fire. LA county used this photo to tell us that we had an unpermitted building on the property that has to be destroyed (the concrete bunker that actually survived). The destroyed building at the top of the photo next to the old driveway was our house.

ebNCvcS.jpg

We rebuilt the driveway and here is the photo I think you may be referring to? btw these checkered types of driveways may look cool but they are a pain on many levels.

zoMZ4iV.jpg

thats the one. I feel uncomfortably saying "I love this pic" because of the God awful circumstances that came about and what you & your wife have had to deal with but maybe from a "life goes on" angle this pic is pretty awesome. thanks for reposting. and again I'm sorry for this crap you guys are still dealing with. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Karloff said:

thats the one. I feel uncomfortably saying "I love this pic" because of the God awful circumstances that came about and what you & your wife have had to deal with but maybe from a "life goes on" angle this pic is pretty awesome. thanks for reposting. and again I'm sorry for this crap you guys are still dealing with. 

Thanks Karloff. You are exactly right though and that is a great (necessary actually) way to reframe it. Cheers!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Tman said:

Here is a drone photo of the property after the fire. LA county used this photo to tell us that we had an unpermitted building on the property that has to be destroyed (the concrete bunker that actually survived). 

That's like kicking someone when they're down. Insensitive faceless bureaucracy?  

On a more positive note; I too would appreciate seeing progress pics of the new build Tman.

I've adopted a positive attitude (especially with an antidepressant on board). Btw I am going to go through a course of TMS (transcranial magnetic stimulation). Drug free treatment that my wife is an expert in.

Here is this morning 10/22/20 or for the non American world: 22/10/20.

Continuing to dig the holes for foundation stabilization. The contractor told me the foundation will be complete next week.

kFxeNus.jpg

• Thanks 1