Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ghost_of_fl

Best Telecaster NOT Made by Fender

If you were looking for a Telecaster-type guitar NOT made by Fender.  And also NOT some boutique reproduction that is even more expensive than an American-made Fender. I'm taking about the more affordable alternatives like mihcmac's G&L ASAT Junior:

KVALE3C.jpg

Which tele-shaped thing is the best value over-all if going for playability over looks?  Also, would be highly desirable if it sounds like a Fender tele. Looking for that nasal tele lead sound.  Any really good kits?  

• Like 1

In 2013 spent a few days in Corona California and visited a giant factory where I played and handled and sniffed and touched and goofed around with literally dozens of different teles in various states of completion.  I almost bought a beautiful rainbow painted tele right off the factory floor, Mrs was ok with it but I just couldn't throw down 3500 plus tax right there.

I should have.

So you know who I would suggest.

rct

This is the stock G&L Tribute Series ASAT Junior II. I put Telecaster knobs on mine and my bridge had a problem so Tone-Pros sent me a new bridge they built for my guitar for free. In addition I added a Duesenberg Les Trem II to mine.

It was 449 + tax on eBay with free shipping.

TI_AJ2_132R42R23-front-1200-390x1170_204

CONSTRUCTION: Bolt-on
SCALE: 25 1/2"
PICKUPS: G&L AP4285B in Neck position, G&L AP42105B in bridge position; designed by Paul Gagon
BODY WOOD: Mahogany (about 1 +1/4" thick blocks of mahogany laminated horizontally for the body)
NECK WOOD: Hard-Rock Maple
FINGERBOARD: Brazilian Cherry
NECK RADIUS: 12"
FRETS: 22 Medium Jumbo
NECK WIDTH AT NUT: 1 5/8"
NECK PROFILE: Medium C
BRIDGE: Tone-Pros locking C-TPFP bridge and CT1 tailpiece
CONTROLS: 3-position Pickup Selector, Volume, Tone
FINISH: Trans Red Tint

This is built in Indonesia where it just happens the Fender Modern Player series is also built.

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1

7Hx8LrV.jpg

IBJ8jvB.jpg

S10QDKP.jpg

mxSWj3M.jpg

55625743_771426706562761_173671545400668

This is the Tele copy I got early last year (2019) after being reproached on this forum for not having ever played one.

I got to my local store and played a American Fender Elite Slimline Tele. Loved the sound. I might have bought it, but I cannot play guitars that with a stingey reveal (E strings too close to edge). All their Tele's were the same.

I looked around for some months and eventually found this one. It's a Fujigen build. The name on the headstock is CoolZ, and they are made only for the Japanese domestic market (CoolZ have no international distributor). I know a fellow who imports used MIJ guitars and this is one he used in his own band before putting it up for sale on his website. 

The last pic is me doing my 1st ever fret level. Was I scared? You bet! Yes it did need that doing, but its done now & all's well. 

I don't have the specs to hand but the reveal is usable. Like all Fujigen guitars it uses Gotoh tuners, a bone nut and their Circle Fretting System (CFS). 

It has a ash body. Maple neck with maple fingerboard. Soft V neck & various small enhancements. I paid about £600 for it. I have added (not in pictures) a tusq string tee and a Fender ashtray bridge cover (yep it fits). 

Sound like a Fender. That's what I wanted. 

Its pretty much exactly like Fujigen's own FGN guitars. They do a range of 3. This would be a mid-range model. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

G&L are killer. My buddy has an American J Bass and American Tele made by them. I played em there nice.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

Not sure why we want a NON Fender guitar that looks, plays, and sounds like a Tele?  But to avoid paying big bucks I bought a MIM tele that certainly did the job.  GC had emailed me a coupon - spend $300 or more and get $100 off.  Guitar was $299, picked up some strap locks for it which got the sale up over $300 - presto $100 off and basically paid $200 for the guitar:

P5RVPMG.jpg

• Like 3

My China Tele, after lots of work has become a really good player, but out of the box did not come close to comparing to the quality level of the Indonesian G&L Junior. In addition the Ash body is at least a pound heavier than the Mahogany G&L. For me the G&L won hands down.

gy4BvNc.jpg

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1

I love G&Ls so much I own four.  The Tribute series are the Indonesian-made models that may be the best bang-for-the-buck out there when MF has a sale.  Some are on sale right now.  I think my G&L Tributes are as well made as my MIM Strat, they are fantastic.

When you look at G&L you have to try out the MFD pickups.  Leo Fender's last and best design, some reviewers have called them the best sounding single-coils in the world, period.   

This model is amazing and my favorite, got it for $400 on sale, currently 15% off.  https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gl-tribute-asat-special-electric-guitar/h88866000004000?rNtt=g&l asat tribute&index=6

And I got one of these when it was a Stupid Deal of the Day for $299, currently 25% off.  https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gl-limited-edition-tribute-asat-classic-ash-body-electric-guitar/j41359000001000?rNtt=g&l asat tribute&index=1

And I would have just posted pics but I'm out of room.

Edited by Randy99CL
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Randy99CL said:

I love G&Ls so much I own four.  The Tribute series are the Indonesian-made models that may be the best bang-for-the-buck out there when MF has a sale.  Some are on sale right now.  I think my G&L Tributes are as well made as my MIM Strat, they are fantastic.

When you look at G&L you have to try out the MFD pickups.  Leo Fender's last and best design, some reviewers have called them the best sounding single-coils in the world, period.   This model is amazing and my favorite, got it for $400 on sale, currently 15% off.  https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gl-tribute-asat-special-electric-guitar/h88866000004000?rNtt=g&l asat tribute&index=6

And I got one of these when it was a Stupid Deal of the Day for $299, currently 25% off.  https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gl-limited-edition-tribute-asat-classic-ash-body-electric-guitar/j41359000001000?rNtt=g&l asat tribute&index=1

And I would have just posted pics but I'm out of room.

The G&L Tribute Series has several variations of Tele's, Strats and Jazz/Jag's. Also their US built Custom Shop and Made In Fullerton models. ... and blessed by Leo I think.

Honorable Mention: One of the manufacturers of the bellow $200 class that is consistently out performing its competitors for consistent quality and playability, is Harley Benton.

This HB TE-52 is one of several Tele style guitars under $200.

13867546_800.jpg

Edited by mihcmac

On 10/10/2020 at 7:39 AM, merciful-evans said:

7Hx8LrV.jpg

IBJ8jvB.jpg

S10QDKP.jpg

mxSWj3M.jpg

55625743_771426706562761_173671545400668

This is the Tele copy I got early last year (2019) after being reproached on this forum for not having ever played one.

I got to my local store and played a American Fender Elite Slimline Tele. Loved the sound. I might have bought it, but I cannot play guitars that with a stingey reveal (E strings too close to edge). All their Tele's were the same.

I looked around for some months and eventually found this one. It's a Fujigen build. The name on the headstock is CoolZ, and they are made only for the Japanese domestic market (CoolZ have no international distributor). I know a fellow who imports used MIJ guitars and this is one he used in his own band before putting it up for sale on his website. 

The last pic is me doing my 1st ever fret level. Was I scared? You bet! Yes it did need that doing, but its done now & all's well. 

I don't have the specs to hand but the reveal is usable. Like all Fujigen guitars it uses Gotoh tuners, a bone nut and their Circle Fretting System (CFS). 

It has a ash body. Maple neck with maple fingerboard. Soft V neck & various small enhancements. I paid about £600 for it. I have added (not in pictures) a tusq string tee and a Fender ashtray bridge cover (yep it fits). 

Sound like a Fender. That's what I wanted. 

Its pretty much exactly like Fujigen's own FGN guitars. They do a range of 3. This would be a mid-range model. 

You can't beat Fujigen build quality,  they are awesome guitars 

• Thanks 1

Ask Twang Gang what's the best Corvette NOT made by Chevy.

rct

• Like 1

Yeah, that optional 102 horse and 80lb torque is the same thing.  lolz.  Twang is out right now seeing how high he can get the front wheels off the driveway without scratching the back.

rct

3 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

The Corvette Killer

a06622470f89ba669aa68c98cac5a04f.jpg

Best Tele NOT made by Fender killer:

Two-Tone-1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, rct said:

Yeah, that optional 102 horse and 80lb torque is the same thing.  lolz.  

Just like the "telecaster shaped objects" above aren't the same thing as an American made Fender Telecaster.  See you're gettin' it! 

Oh I get it alright.  A Telecaster is whatever Fender says it is.  You shouldn't have to say that to a large group of people that sheds rivers of tears every time they encounter a FAKE!!!!!  Les Paul.  Some contact authorities about it.  No difference whatsoever.  There is a reason people copy things and it isn't good.  Why support them?

rct

Edited by rct
schpelling