Gibson Brands Forums

Twang Gang

On 10/11/2020 at 11:49 AM, Twang Gang said:

Ordered a 2020 Mid Engine Corvette 8/15/19.  Had a few delays - auto workers strike, finishing 2019 models, re-tooling plant, covid shut down, delivery carrier going bankrupt, but on 10/7/20 I finally got to pick it up.  So far I would say it was worth the wait.

SfZxuzw.jpg

XQoBu2g.jpg

Rainy day so the lighting for photos isn't very good, but I think you can get the idea.  6.2 Liter fuel injected V8 with dry sump oil system, 495 hp, 8 speed dual clutch automatic trans with paddle shifters.  I opted for LT3 package which means it is leather and suede inside from head to toe.  Now if I can just figure out all the high tech digital accessories and it stops raining maybe I can get out and enjoy it.  Rear visibility is pretty poor with the engine behind the seats, and a narrow rear window (huge blind spots), but they solved it by putting a camera at the rear of the top which feeds in to the rearview mirror so you actually get a much better view than a traditional mirror (although you can use that if you wish).  Only had it a couple days but so far very HAPPY 😁 

Gorgeous, Hope it's not your everyday work car? Enjoy the ride.  My son bought a Shelby GT 500 with 750 HP in it when he was in the Navy stationed in Florida. He let me drive it on the interstate there. Reminded me of my old Drag Racing days. 

The C-8 is a sweet ride, and will be a classic,  but be aware as with most first generation cars there might be some issues that will have to be dealt with,. 

Chevy has taken care of the "frunk " problem, ( the trunk is in the front, and the electric controlled latch can let go at high speeds) .

But now GM is recalling most 2020 V-8s including the C-8 due to weak valve springs which can cause total engine failure,  apparently they received a bad batch from a supplier. It only affects some motors so check with the dealership. 

Then, drive it like you stole It!

https://www.corvsport.com/general-motors-issues-service-bulletin-for-faulty-v8-engine-valve-springs/

14 hours ago, Retired said:

Not to pry, but can I ask what something like that costs?  That is just gorgeous. 

Base price is $58,900.  I opted for the LT3 package, which gives you a really nice leather interior and a lot of other stuff ($11,950), the paint job (Sebring Orange Tintcoat) was another $995, and a trickle charger for $100 - so it was $73,040 including the destination charge.  I sold my '66 Chevelle for $41,900, and they gave me $36,500 trade for my C7 so even after an extended warranty on the electronics  I wasn't out any cash.  One nice thing about buying a car in South Carolina is that the sales tax tops out at $500 regardless of the price of the car.  However you do have to pay a personal property tax each year (which decreases as the value of the car goes down) in order to get your license plate renewed.  

On 10/15/2020 at 11:05 AM, jaxson50 said:

Chevy has taken care of the "frunk " problem, ( the trunk is in the front, and the electric controlled latch can let go at high speeds) .

But now GM is recalling most 2020 V-8s including the C-8 due to weak valve springs which can cause total engine failure,  apparently they received a bad batch from a supplier. It only affects some motors so check with the dealership. 

The frunk lid opening up was mostly people not closing it properly.  Unlike the rear deck, it does not have an electronic latch so you have to pay attention that it is completely closed before you drive.  The rear hatch, you just close it part way, and then it electronically latches itself.  Mine was built after the batch of bad valve springs, so I am not concerned about that.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

Base price is $58,900.  I opted for the LT3 package, which gives you a really nice leather interior and a lot of other stuff ($11,950), the paint job (Sebring Orange Tintcoat) was another $995, and a trickle charger for $100 - so it was $73,040 including the destination charge.  I sold my '66 Chevelle for $41,900, and they gave me $36,500 trade for my C7 so even after an extended warranty on the electronics  I wasn't out any cash.  One nice thing about buying a car in South Carolina is that the sales tax tops out at $500 regardless of the price of the car.  However you do have to pay a personal property tax each year (which decreases as the value of the car goes down) in order to get your license plate renewed.  

Thanks, So you had a 66 Chevelle? Thats cool too. My last race car, before stolen, was a 71 Dodge Colt. Started with a body with the seats stolen out and all the windows broken, I gutted it out and bought an Arrow Dynamics all  chrome molly tubed chassis with a 12 point cage. I had the shell of the body welded on and added the suspension. It was all Chevy powered and weighed 2,065 pounds with me in it when finished. I also had a  Hemi engine and trans, for it with an spare chevy 350 engine that got it down to 8 seconds flat. That was way back in the 70's though.  So, I've always been a car buff.  Thanks again Twang. 

On 10/20/2020 at 11:59 PM, Retired said:

Thanks, So you had a 66 Chevelle? Thats cool too. My last race car, before stolen, was a 71 Dodge Colt. Started with a body with the seats stolen out and all the windows broken, I gutted it out and bought an Arrow Dynamics all  chrome molly tubed chassis with a 12 point cage. I had the shell of the body welded on and added the suspension. It was all Chevy powered and weighed 2,065 pounds with me in it when finished. I also had a  Hemi engine and trans, for it with an spare chevy 350 engine that got it down to 8 seconds flat. That was way back in the 70's though.  So, I've always been a car buff.  Thanks again Twang. 

Once the gearhead thing gets you, I don't think it ever lets go even though we tend to slow down with age.  That dragster sounds fun, 8 seconds is no slouch especially for something you built yourself 👍 Here is a shot of my Chevelle SS I sold, it had a big block 396, 4 speed, and 12 bolt posi rear end.  Pulled pretty hard in a straight line, but didn't corner well, and the little drum brakes weren't much good.

EfgiZAd.jpg  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Twang Gang said:

Once the gearhead thing gets you, I don't think it ever lets go even though we tend to slow down with age.  That dragster sounds fun, 8 seconds is no slouch especially for something you built yourself 👍 Here is a shot of my Chevelle SS I sold, it had a big block 396, 4 speed, and 12 bolt posi rear end.  Pulled pretty hard in a straight line, but didn't corner well, and the little drum brakes weren't much good.

EfgiZAd.jpg  

Gorgeous. I knew two different guys  who raced their Chevelle's. Both had the 454 in them. At that time, I raced a Barracuda and a Camaro. I was going to go straight 426 Hemi but decided to make my old friend partner and he was the chevy freak, so thats why we ran Chevy. I had the same problems with drum brakes. Now I had a front axle with no brakes on front. So at Scribner the first few runs, I couldn't get it stopped.  We just threw in a junk engine as we called it just to make sure the car was going to go straight.  It was a Chevy 350 with 2 bolt main block. Stock heads, and ran a 10:50, right off the trailer. Haha, How did we know Pro Gas in their class would set a 11:57 time limit? Even with our junk engine, we could beat the whole field. I had to slam on the brakes each run. Ah, it was fun back then.  We went to Eddyville  Iowa, and Thunder valley and raced a lot. Much faster tracks there.  Yeah, would be fun talking about the Good Ol' days. Anyway, Because I couldn't get the Colt to stop that first day, I put on special racing discs on back and had a chute. That solved that problem. 

Those are great cars. The 66 Chevelle brings back some good memories. One of my best friends, who was a professional mechanic, bought one with a blown engine that looked identical to yours, Twang. He put in a 350 that he built himself and I didn't understand it. Why a small block? The main reason was money but he made it wicked fast. I only raced him once and he won. My car turned a 12.3 @ 119 at the track a few weeks before. That wasn't bad for those days.