Gibson Brands Forums

Unforeseen import fees

Koovana

Hey everyone, 

I'm based in the UK and I made a purchase earlier this week. Before making the purchase I read through the FAQ page and came across this: "If you are shipping to a country outside of the USA, the Gibson Online Store will NOT charge you for any applicable import tax, customs duty, brokerage fees, or VAT charges. Any additional charges (if required by YOUR country) will be collected by FedEx when the product is delivered, or by a third-party brokerage firm (where applicable). "

However, while it was still in the US I received an email from UPS requesting for me to pay an import fee close to 800 USD.

Have I grossly misinterpreted what was defined on the FAQ page, or has something gone wrong during transit? 🤔

I've contacted Gibson, but still waiting for a response. Hope someone could maybe help shed some light on this.

Thanks!

• Confused 1

It's UPS.  We affectionaly call them FedOOOPs.  They do what they do, and there isn't much you can do about it.  I'm guessing it needs to go from Nashville up to Louisville KY, where there's an international OOOPs hub. It's only 200 miles, so it actually is getting ready to leave here, and they want your pounds sterling quid farthings before they put it on the plane and hope they make it over the pond.  It sucks, but it is how it is.  I live 5 states away and it would probably take twice as long to get to me if I ordered it the same day as you.

Is your UPS truck brown?  Is the steering wheel on the wrong side?

rct

"If you are shipping to a country outside of the USA, the Gibson Online Store will NOT charge you for any applicable import tax, customs duty, brokerage fees, or VAT charges. Any additional charges (if required by YOUR country) will be collected by FedEx when the product is delivered, or by a third-party brokerage firm (where applicable)." 

My understanding of the above was that Gibson would handle these fees for me. If they had written: "Instead, these charges (if required by YOUR country) will be collected by FedEx..." the import fee thats been requested to me would make sense. The use of the word "additional" makes me think of other charges not related to import fees.

I'm expecting to pay customs tax when it reaches the UK, but I don't think I should be footing the bill for this import fee 🤔 

Edited by Koovana

Well, I'm not arguing with you, but it does say "Any additional charges(if required by YOUR country) will be collected by Fedex...".  So yeah, it is the cost of doing this stuff from them.  I suppose the UK distributor tacks all these extra bucks on the price so you don't really see it if you buy it there.  I guess.  But buying it from here, Gibson is telling you they won't add all that stuff to their price, but you'll have to pay it at some point, in some way.

Costs a bloody fortune to send stuff across the pond.  Last thing I sent was a book that cost 29 US dollars.  Cost 30 US dollars to send it.  Jesus.

rct

Yes, Koovana, you will have to pay import tax, I'm guessing that UPS must collect it on behalf of HM Customs & Excise.  If you buy anything from the US above a certain value, often you will have to pay it before the post office will release it.  It's a nasty little surprise.

I understand that during the 70's a lot of British bands touring the states would scour pawn shops looking for cheap bargain's which they brought back to sell, of course being touring musician's the instrument's they were bringing back through customs were the same one's they took out😁

If you're shipping from Gibson Gibson USA to say your brothers house in New Jersey usa you'll be fine, 

But if you're in anyother country you must pay an import fee to your government. 

The courier is to collect on behalf of your country (plus brokerage fees) and forwards that VAT/GST/HST off the the appropriate government agency. 

It's been that way for over 100yrs (remember they dumped tea into a harbor)

Not a surprise at all,