Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
zombywoof

Gibson J-190EC Fusion

Recommended Posts

If I still gigged regularly and needed a guitar to plug in this Custom Shop Gibson just may be at the top of my have to own list.    Does anybody own one of these?  I have never even seen one up close and personal.  Years back Jorma Kaukonen put two of his up for sale in the  Second Chance section of his website.    

Jorma's 2003 J-190 Fusion.

 Gibson-CS-2003-J190-black.jpg  

Edited by zombywoof

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm pretty sure this is the first time I have ever seen one.  In '85 or '86 my band opened for Jorma at the Cubby Bear which is across the street from Wrigley Field in Chicago.  I did not know who he was and someone told me he had been the lead guitar player for Jefferson Airplane (or maybe Starship?).  I though it would be a great show to see and that he would have a band and maybe play some of the old songs.  It wasn't and he didn't.  It was just him sitting on a chair playing a beat up acoustic.  He looked pretty strung out, and I couldn't follow the music at all.  As soon as we got paid I left.  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Twang Gang said:

I'm pretty sure this is the first time I have ever seen one.  In '85 or '86 my band opened for Jorma at the Cubby Bear which is across the street from Wrigley Field in Chicago.  I did not know who he was and someone told me he had been the lead guitar player for Jefferson Airplane (or maybe Starship?).  I though it would be a great show to see and that he would have a band and maybe play some of the old songs.  It wasn't and he didn't.  It was just him sitting on a chair playing a beat up acoustic.  He looked pretty strung out, and I couldn't follow the music at all.  As soon as we got paid I left.  

Those eighties were hard on some of the old musical hippie icons. It was a decade that didn't leave them many chances. Donovan fx (an artist the threadhost never enjoyed) can't remember the time at all. And how about Harrison and CSN to mention some of the biggies. Shadows of themselves for more or less 10 years. Dylan wasn't exactly sparkling either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Those eighties were hard on some of the old musical hippie icons. It was a decade that didn't leave them many chances. Donovan fx (an artist the threadhost never enjoyed) can't remember the time at all. And how about Harrison and CSN to mention some of the biggies. Shadows of themselves for more or less 10 years. Dylan wasn't exactly sparkling either. 

 

C'mon now.  I really like "Catch the Wind" and "Season of the Witch."  But I find much of his stuff such as "Atlantis"  pretty cringy which has only resulted in people taking pleasure in bestowing copies of that  45 rpm on me. 

By the way, speaking of hard musical times, have you every watched the documentary on Roky Erickson  "You're Gonna Miss Me" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

 

C'mon now.  I really like "Catch the Wind" and "Season of the Witch."  But I find much of his stuff such as "Atlantis"  pretty cringy which has only resulted in people taking pleasure in bestowing copies of that  45 rpm on me. 

By the way, speaking of hard musical times, have you every watched the documentary on Roky Erickson  "You're Gonna Miss Me" 

Was about to use a smiley, , , but thought, , nahh, zomb can take it. Glad you let a few of the Hurdy Gurd's things slip through.                                                                                                                                                        No to Erickson, but know the guy - one of my old friends is a fan. He brought a bunch of LPs some time ago to an old-pals dinner, , , but the record player had fallen from the wall. 
 

Here's a tune I kind of liked i the 80s - in the slightly same vein, but poppyer

 

 

Hail ~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Here's a tune I kind of liked i the 80s - in the slightly same vein, but poppyer

 

 

Hail ~

 

The Plimsouls were great.  Power Pop at its best.   Peter Case is still out there touring.   The 1980s in general  was one heck of a good decade for rock - the Long Ryders, Del Fuegos,  Textones,  Don Dixon, Del Lords,  and such.

With Donovan though  it always came off to me he was trying too hard when it came to the flowery powery stuff.  The year that  "A Gift From a Flower to a Garden" set was released I walked right by it to snag the Fugs "Virgin Fugs."  And when it came to the psychedelic folk  like "Hurdy Gurdy" I was more into Pearls Before Swine.  

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hereby glide further into a harmonious Saturday with this old tune which I lOVED all my live. 
Will do good to hear the then new quite compressed probably silk'n'steel stringed ceramic saddled 1964 cherry J-45 before goin' to my own acoustic jam tonite. 
Cheers zomb and everybody

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A perfect example of what I am talking about.  There are just so many songs about the sun, starfish, magicians, hermits, and such you can handle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back to the original question so nobody seems to have spent any quality time with a J-190 Fusion which I gather are not in the Custom Shop lineup any longer although possibly they would build you one.  Jorma, of course, seems to have had a thing for the Florentine cutaway jumbos  such as the Starburst.  He apparently moved from the J-190 to a  David Flammang  J-35 and then to his Martin M-30.  Me, I will always associate Jorma with his 1958 J-50 which he had been playing since 1960.  Yeah, I am a big fan.

Edited by zombywoof

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I"m not a fan of cut-a-ways...  Especially florentine.   I can't get a mirror and flashlight and camera in their to inspect for glue drops. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

I"m not a fan of cut-a-ways...  Especially florentine.   I can't get a mirror and flashlight and camera in their to inspect for glue drops. 

Great flippin' answer.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...