Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J-190EC Fusion

zombywoof

If I still gigged regularly and needed a guitar to plug in this Custom Shop Gibson just may be at the top of my have to own list.    Does anybody own one of these?  I have never even seen one up close and personal.  Years back Jorma Kaukonen put two of his up for sale in the  Second Chance section of his website.    

Jorma's 2003 J-190 Fusion.

Gibson-CS-2003-J190-black.jpg  

Edited by zombywoof

I'm pretty sure this is the first time I have ever seen one.  In '85 or '86 my band opened for Jorma at the Cubby Bear which is across the street from Wrigley Field in Chicago.  I did not know who he was and someone told me he had been the lead guitar player for Jefferson Airplane (or maybe Starship?).  I though it would be a great show to see and that he would have a band and maybe play some of the old songs.  It wasn't and he didn't.  It was just him sitting on a chair playing a beat up acoustic.  He looked pretty strung out, and I couldn't follow the music at all.  As soon as we got paid I left.  

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Twang Gang said:

I'm pretty sure this is the first time I have ever seen one.  In '85 or '86 my band opened for Jorma at the Cubby Bear which is across the street from Wrigley Field in Chicago.  I did not know who he was and someone told me he had been the lead guitar player for Jefferson Airplane (or maybe Starship?).  I though it would be a great show to see and that he would have a band and maybe play some of the old songs.  It wasn't and he didn't.  It was just him sitting on a chair playing a beat up acoustic.  He looked pretty strung out, and I couldn't follow the music at all.  As soon as we got paid I left.  

Those eighties were hard on some of the old musical hippie icons. It was a decade that didn't leave them many chances. Donovan fx (an artist the threadhost never enjoyed) can't remember the time at all. And how about Harrison and CSN to mention some of the biggies. Shadows of themselves for more or less 10 years. Dylan wasn't exactly sparkling either. 

46 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Those eighties were hard on some of the old musical hippie icons. It was a decade that didn't leave them many chances. Donovan fx (an artist the threadhost never enjoyed) can't remember the time at all. And how about Harrison and CSN to mention some of the biggies. Shadows of themselves for more or less 10 years. Dylan wasn't exactly sparkling either. 

C'mon now.  I really like "Catch the Wind" and "Season of the Witch."  But I find much of his stuff such as "Atlantis"  pretty cringy which has only resulted in people taking pleasure in bestowing copies of that  45 rpm on me. 

By the way, speaking of hard musical times, have you every watched the documentary on Roky Erickson  "You're Gonna Miss Me" 

22 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

C'mon now.  I really like "Catch the Wind" and "Season of the Witch."  But I find much of his stuff such as "Atlantis"  pretty cringy which has only resulted in people taking pleasure in bestowing copies of that  45 rpm on me. 

By the way, speaking of hard musical times, have you every watched the documentary on Roky Erickson  "You're Gonna Miss Me" 

Was about to use a smiley, , , but thought, , nahh, zomb can take it. Glad you let a few of the Hurdy Gurd's things slip through.                                                                                                                                                        No to Erickson, but know the guy - one of my old friends is a fan. He brought a bunch of LPs some time ago to an old-pals dinner, , , but the record player had fallen from the wall. 

Here's a tune I kind of liked i the 80s - in the slightly same vein, but poppyer

Hail ~

11 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Here's a tune I kind of liked i the 80s - in the slightly same vein, but poppyer

Hail ~

The Plimsouls were great.  Power Pop at its best.   Peter Case is still out there touring.   The 1980s in general  was one heck of a good decade for rock - the Long Ryders, Del Fuegos,  Textones,  Don Dixon, Del Lords,  and such.

With Donovan though  it always came off to me he was trying too hard when it came to the flowery powery stuff.  The year that  "A Gift From a Flower to a Garden" set was released I walked right by it to snag the Fugs "Virgin Fugs."  And when it came to the psychedelic folk  like "Hurdy Gurdy" I was more into Pearls Before Swine.  

• Like 1

I hereby glide further into a harmonious Saturday with this old tune which I lOVED all my live. 
Will do good to hear the then new quite compressed probably silk'n'steel stringed ceramic saddled 1964 cherry J-45 before goin' to my own acoustic jam tonite. 
Cheers zomb and everybody

Back to the original question so nobody seems to have spent any quality time with a J-190 Fusion which I gather are not in the Custom Shop lineup any longer although possibly they would build you one.  Jorma, of course, seems to have had a thing for the Florentine cutaway jumbos  such as the Starburst.  He apparently moved from the J-190 to a  David Flammang  J-35 and then to his Martin M-30.  Me, I will always associate Jorma with his 1958 J-50 which he had been playing since 1960.  Yeah, I am a big fan.

Edited by zombywoof