Gibson Brands Forums

I have a les paul studio and I would like to know why is the price lower than the standard.

jrseriel

I think it is... weird, isn't it?

Now the old standard wasn't 1500 bucks above the studio... the new one is, but now it has other features...

New standard:

(note I don't call it "the standard" because I preffer to wait a couple of years and see if gibson goes back to the "standard" standard, which would make this one a special or limited edition).

Straplocks.

Asymetric neck.

Neutrik locking jack.

Plekked (which would amount for a good portion of the price).

Locking bridge and tailpiece.

All the electronics come into a circuit board... and the pickups have quick conectors.

Prety much covers it... (plus the "normal" differences between standard and studio, that were logo material, neck and body binding).

The pickups are different too but they cost about the same

The only differences are cosmetics & the pups that come standard in them. The LP Standard has the BB Pro's, while the Studio has the 490/498 (which probably accounts for most of the difference in tone you are hearing). Obviously pups can be changed if you don't care for what comes standard.

The only differences are cosmetics & the pups that come standard in them.

And all those thing we didn't need but they put them in anyway that come with the "new standard".

Oh... and the difference right now between a "new standard" and a studio is 1300 bucks.

And all those thing we didn't need but they put them in anyway that come with the "new standard".

Oh... and the difference right now between a "new standard" and a studio is 1300 bucks.

You know, it's funny that I keep forgetting about the "new standard"...I keep thinking of the one before this. I wish they'd have called the experimental something other than the Standard, and just slapped the Standard label on the Traditional. Would make things so much easier and accurate.

To be honest though, the 490R / 498Ts sound absolutely beautiful through my Les Paul Supreme. But then again, that's a few notches above a Studio. I actually like the chambering. I'm getting nice sustain into next week and the pups seem to have an airy quality about them. The Standards are GREAT guitars. I just think they seem flat in comparison, but this is my ear - not yours.

You know' date=' it's funny that I keep forgetting about the "new standard"...I keep thinking of the one before this. I wish they'd have called the experimental something other than the Standard, and just slapped the Standard label on the Traditional. Would make things so much easier and accurate. [/quote']

Me too!!! (look at my first response to this thread +:-@ I agree, they should have called it another thing and made the traditional the new standard. I don't think there's nothing "standard" about the new standard... in fact, all those gizmos make it really above standard (if we consider other brands guitars at the same price that don't come with all of that stuff). Maybe they did it so that people wouldn't wine about the price as much.

Archived