Gibson Brands Forums

What should I look for if it is damaged?

jrseriel

Cold won't hurt it, it's the change from hot to cold and back again. So if it's allowed to warm back up gradually over a few hours instead of suddenly opening the case, it should be fine. Besides any shipped guitar is going to spend some time in a cold truck unless you wait until Spring.

Sorry, didn't realize it was your post - thought we were talking about buying a new one from a dealer's warehouse. If the guitar is stored for long periods of time you might see some signs of the wood shrinking, most notably in "fret sprout" (which is less of a problem with a bound neck) or gaps around inlays; these things might respond to slowly re-humidifying the guitar. Obviously there could be setup issues that can be fixed with a trussrod adjustment so long as things didn't get too far out of whack (in which case let it acclimate to the house and try again). If the finish saw any dramatic climate change you'd see anything from minor "weather checking" to a full blistering/peeling of the lacquer. I think what you'll see when you open the case is just an old friend you haven't seen in six months.

I agree with Bobv, however this going from one temp to another is not such a serious issue. Guys here have tried it deliberetly in order to get the finish to check to get that aged look and have not been successful. I think the guitar needs to have aged for sometime before it will check... If a guitar has sat in storage for six months then it hasnt been bought for a reason...

Regards

Flight959

Newer models won't check because of the change in the finish formula in 2004...Still nitro, just twice the plasticizers.

If anything may be buggered, it will be the frets from expansion and contraction...

Archived