Gibson Brands Forums

Can you have ICONIC on a budget?

SteveFord

I'm in Pennsylvania and that's my male Leopard Tortoise, Tromper.  He'd be right at home in Southern California as he likes it warm and dry.  Be more at home in Africa, though...

I got him in 1994 and he was just a little guy full of energy, he just never stopped going  so I'd say early 30s.  If all goes well he's probably got another 100 years left in him, maybe more?

They do look like an Explorer from that angle and no Fedner or V.

Instead, the replacement for the Les Paul Special that GC totally screwed up, a leftover 2018 Firebird Studio.

I'll do a review on in it in a day or so, I wasn't sure what to expect but it's NOT a stripped down Firebird V with P90s, a glued in neck. and much less woodworking.  This is it's own model which feels different, hangs different and is smaller than a Firebird V.  Even the case is smaller and lighter.

Right now it has that never been played feel to it SO back to work!

ESIbW7Z.jpg

jGIRtZw.jpg

I0HKksa.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SteveFord said:

I'm in Pennsylvania and that's my male Leopard Tortoise, Tromper.  He'd be right at home in Southern California as he likes it warm and dry.  Be more at home in Africa, though...

I got him in 1994 and he was just a little guy full of energy, he just never stopped going  so I'd say early 30s.  If all goes well he's probably got another 100 years left in him, maybe more?

They do look like an Explorer from that angle and no Fedner or V.

Instead, the replacement for the Les Paul Special that GC totally screwed up, a leftover 2018 Firebird Studio.

I'll do a review on in it in a day or so, I wasn't sure what to expect but it's NOT a stripped down Firebird V with P90s, a glued in neck. and much less woodworking.  This is it's own model which feels different, hangs different and is smaller than a Firebird V.  Even the case is smaller and lighter.

Right now it has that never been played feel to it SO back to work!

ESIbW7Z.jpg

jGIRtZw.jpg

I0HKksa.jpg

Ooooh - iconic!

Nice Steve, I love the wood grain on that.  Another model I have never held in my hands, but it looks like fun.  Seems odd to me that they put the pickup selector switch down on that lower horn by the neck.  Seems it would be more cost effective to  build it with that switch a lot closer to the volume and tone knobs?  And maybe easier to get to mid riff. 

Anyway enjoy that beauty 👍  

11 hours ago, Rabs said:

Nice Firebird [thumbup]

My Tribute Goldtop was also a cheap one (well compared to a Standard anyway).. £750 brand new....  Love this guitar. Sounds cracking  and feels great to play regardless of price.

GenDvu0.jpg

Nice Rabs - sounds like you like the P90s on this, what do you like to use for p'ups in your builds.?

SF - been a couple days, how about an update?

2 hours ago, uncle fester said:

Nice Rabs - sounds like you like the P90s on this, what do you like to use for p'ups in your builds.?

SF - been a couple days, how about an update?

Yes I love P90s..  Coulndt care less about the hum some moan about..

In my builds I use all sorts..  But yes I have made may with P90s and usually I use a humbucker sized P90 from Vanson. I do that so that in the future if the guitar owner wants to swap pickups out it gives far more options without any work needed doing.

Sound wise this has to be one of my faves..

I got a chance to play with it a bit last night and have been messing with the set up which takes a few days - adjust neck, play, adjust neck, play, it's just about there.

What I was expecting was a low budget Firebird V with P90s but it's actually a smaller guitar all the way around.  To illustrate, I stuck it on top of a V so here's what I mean:  in this one you can see the headstock is flipped and the Studio has a thicker body and it's just a slab

QPUXh10.jpg

You can see how much shorter the body is so it brings the neck much closer to your belly button when playing

eyaAsvs.jpg

the body itself isn't as wide so it really is a smaller guitar

0nTKU3H.jpg

and this shows the reach so it feels more like a student guitar than a Firebird to me.

kaYoWjR.jpg

I was expecting a bit, honkin' Johnny Winter type thing.

Edited by SteveFord

What I was originally trying to get was a Les Paul Special but with a rosewood fretboard.  For comparison, here's a Special on top of the Studio:

92BOmZW.jpg

5b0tbwD.jpg

Even though the Studio seems like a shrimpy Firebird V it's quite a bit larger, and lighter, than the Les Paul Special.  

I like them both but the Firebird is more comfortable.

The Studio's case is about 3" shorter and maybe 1 1/2" thinner than a Firebird V/VII/Explorer case so while it won't withstand a nuclear blast it might stop a .22 caliber bullet.

As for what I think of it, initially I was kind of underwhelmed.  It's growing on me and the pick ups needed to come up a bit as it just sounded really distant and wimpy.  I don't think the bridge pick up will ever have the sound that the carved top Les Pauls have.  It must be the maple cap that gives it that snap (there's an ICONIC tag line for ya).

It's price point was roughly SG Special/LP Special/LP Studio and it has a lot of good points: it's more comfortable (to me) than the ones I just listed, it sounds pretty good, the neck is slim without being too puny, quite a bit of futzing around is getting the action where I like it, you don't have to shift it around when you play it like you do with its bigger brothers, so I think it's worth getting.  To me it feels like an SG Special with a larger body.  It's a very comfortable guitar to play seated and it's a very resonant guitar.  Standing up there's no neck dive and it stays in tune REALLY well.

Compared to the Firebird V and VII it's not in the same league  but it was priced accordingly.  Cheap and cheerful, one of those.

A future ICONIC classic? 

No.

Fun to play?

Yes.

Edited by SteveFord

I really Like your P90 powered Firebird, I think the slightly smaller size will work to your advantage. Because when I play my Explorer I am constantly running in to things with both ends. Also the extra weight of my Eplorer, but at the same time the balance is perfect and position of the upper frets. Your Firebird Studio would be perfect for me. Enjoy....

O8ahq9e.jpg

Edited by mihcmac
  • Thanks 1