Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SteveFord

Can you have ICONIC on a budget?

Recommended Posts

Only one way to find out.

The crowd engages in a little tail gateing

EGg5AHx.jpg

Prior to the arrival of the ginormous case from Canadia Land

L2b108G.jpg

Wherein lurks something weird

uuYV3rI.jpg

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

I was thinking a V maybe.  

Prince had an iconic guitar on a budget.  

Screen+shot+2011-01-04+at+7.23.15+PM.png

Not a V headstock, so I think it's something else. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in Pennsylvania and that's my male Leopard Tortoise, Tromper.  He'd be right at home in Southern California as he likes it warm and dry.  Be more at home in Africa, though...

I got him in 1994 and he was just a little guy full of energy, he just never stopped going  so I'd say early 30s.  If all goes well he's probably got another 100 years left in him, maybe more?

They do look like an Explorer from that angle and no Fedner or V.

Instead, the replacement for the Les Paul Special that GC totally screwed up, a leftover 2018 Firebird Studio.

I'll do a review on in it in a day or so, I wasn't sure what to expect but it's NOT a stripped down Firebird V with P90s, a glued in neck. and much less woodworking.  This is it's own model which feels different, hangs different and is smaller than a Firebird V.  Even the case is smaller and lighter.

Right now it has that never been played feel to it SO back to work!

ESIbW7Z.jpg

jGIRtZw.jpg

I0HKksa.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You need to work the wall with that is serious leather and chains.

Nice. I think you have clearly won hands down The 2020 CV-19 guitar buying competition.

I got 1, you got about 7.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SteveFord said:

I'm in Pennsylvania and that's my male Leopard Tortoise, Tromper.  He'd be right at home in Southern California as he likes it warm and dry.  Be more at home in Africa, though...

I got him in 1994 and he was just a little guy full of energy, he just never stopped going  so I'd say early 30s.  If all goes well he's probably got another 100 years left in him, maybe more?

They do look like an Explorer from that angle and no Fedner or V.

Instead, the replacement for the Les Paul Special that GC totally screwed up, a leftover 2018 Firebird Studio.

I'll do a review on in it in a day or so, I wasn't sure what to expect but it's NOT a stripped down Firebird V with P90s, a glued in neck. and much less woodworking.  This is it's own model which feels different, hangs different and is smaller than a Firebird V.  Even the case is smaller and lighter.

Right now it has that never been played feel to it SO back to work!

ESIbW7Z.jpg

jGIRtZw.jpg

I0HKksa.jpg

Ooooh - iconic!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

It could be worse. 🤮

maxresdefault.jpg

Where did you get Taylor Swift's Flying Strat?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice Steve, I love the wood grain on that.  Another model I have never held in my hands, but it looks like fun.  Seems odd to me that they put the pickup selector switch down on that lower horn by the neck.  Seems it would be more cost effective to  build it with that switch a lot closer to the volume and tone knobs?  And maybe easier to get to mid riff. 

Anyway enjoy that beauty 👍  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice Firebird [thumbup]

My Tribute Goldtop was also a cheap one (well compared to a Standard anyway).. £750 brand new....  Love this guitar. Sounds cracking  and feels great to play regardless of price.

GenDvu0.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Rabs said:

Nice Firebird [thumbup]

My Tribute Goldtop was also a cheap one (well compared to a Standard anyway).. £750 brand new....  Love this guitar. Sounds cracking  and feels great to play regardless of price.

GenDvu0.jpg

Nice Rabs - sounds like you like the P90s on this, what do you like to use for p'ups in your builds.?

SF - been a couple days, how about an update?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, uncle fester said:

Nice Rabs - sounds like you like the P90s on this, what do you like to use for p'ups in your builds.?

SF - been a couple days, how about an update?

Yes I love P90s..  Coulndt care less about the hum some moan about..

In my builds I use all sorts..  But yes I have made may with P90s and usually I use a humbucker sized P90 from Vanson. I do that so that in the future if the guitar owner wants to swap pickups out it gives far more options without any work needed doing.

Sound wise this has to be one of my faves..

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got a chance to play with it a bit last night and have been messing with the set up which takes a few days - adjust neck, play, adjust neck, play, it's just about there.

What I was expecting was a low budget Firebird V with P90s but it's actually a smaller guitar all the way around.  To illustrate, I stuck it on top of a V so here's what I mean:  in this one you can see the headstock is flipped and the Studio has a thicker body and it's just a slab

QPUXh10.jpg

You can see how much shorter the body is so it brings the neck much closer to your belly button when playing

eyaAsvs.jpg

the body itself isn't as wide so it really is a smaller guitar

0nTKU3H.jpg

 

and this shows the reach so it feels more like a student guitar than a Firebird to me.

kaYoWjR.jpg

I was expecting a bit, honkin' Johnny Winter type thing.

 

Edited by SteveFord

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...