Gibson Brands Forums

Can you have ICONIC on a budget?

SteveFord

The Explorer and a Firebird have a fair amount in common.  I have to put my hand on the back bout of the Explorer when I walk around, there's just so much of it hanging off back there it's kind of like driving a bus.  

Think I just ran over a pedestrian, better keep going and not look in the rear view mirror...

I hope the review of the Studio didn't come off as being negative, it's a unique model and a nice guitar.  It's just quite a bit different than what I was expecting and comparing it models multiples of its price isn't exactly a fair comparison.  For fooling around on a couch while watching the Giants lose it's going to be ideal.  

Last night I was watching a documentary (or two) on the Explorer and originally they had the strap button up on the top like a Les Paul.  I'm not going to drill a hole in mine to find out but I think it would shift it forward quite a bit.

What year Explorer is that one?

Edited by SteveFord

13 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

The Explorer and a Firebird have a fair amount in common.  I have to put my hand on the back bout of the Explorer when I walk around, there's just so much of it hanging off back there it's kind of like driving a bus.  

Think I just ran over a pedestrian, better keep going and not look in the rear view mirror...

I hope the review of the Studio didn't come off as being negative, it's a unique model and a nice guitar.  It's just quite a bit different than what I was expecting and comparing it models multiples of its price isn't exactly a fair comparison.  For fooling around on a couch while watching the Giants lose it's going to be ideal.  

Last night I was watching a documentary (or two) on the Explorer and originally they had the strap button up on the top like a Les Paul.  I'm not going to drill a hole in mine to find out but I think it would shift it forward quite a bit.

What year Explorer is that one?

I built this one from a kit which was supposed to be patterned after a 58. The strap button position was up to me, but I think the LP position would be more stable as with on the neck mine can flop forward away from my body, but not bad. I didn't think your review negative, just the usual new guitar jitters.

Here's what I forgot to mention: you know how Gibson is making such a big deal about their audio tone pots?  

On this one, 7 equals 5 and 5 equals 3, ha, ha.

Finally, it's a brighter sounding guitar than that Les Paul Special is and much easier on the shoulders.  While it seems to hum more it's ridiculously easy to play.

That concludes the thrilling Firebird Studio review.  

If you see a good looking one at a cheap price I'd say give it a shot.

17 hours ago, SteveFord said:

What I was originally trying to get was a Les Paul Special but with a rosewood fretboard.  For comparison, here's a Special on top of the Studio:

92BOmZW.jpg

5b0tbwD.jpg

Even though the Studio seems like a shrimpy Firebird V it's quite a bit larger, and lighter, than the Les Paul Special.  

I like them both but the Firebird is more comfortable.

The Studio's case is about 3" shorter and maybe 1 1/2" thinner than a Firebird V/VII/Explorer case so while it won't withstand a nuclear blast it might stop a .22 caliber bullet.

As for what I think of it, initially I was kind of underwhelmed.  It's growing on me and the pick ups needed to come up a bit as it just sounded really distant and wimpy.  I don't think the bridge pick up will ever have the sound that the carved top Les Pauls have.  It must be the maple cap that gives it that snap (there's an ICONIC tag line for ya).

It's price point was roughly SG Special/LP Special/LP Studio and it has a lot of good points: it's more comfortable (to me) than the ones I just listed, it sounds pretty good, the neck is slim without being too puny, quite a bit of futzing around is getting the action where I like it, you don't have to shift it around when you play it like you do with its bigger brothers, so I think it's worth getting.  To me it feels like an SG Special with a larger body.  It's a very comfortable guitar to play seated and it's a very resonant guitar.  Standing up there's no neck dive and it stays in tune REALLY well.

Compared to the Firebird V and VII it's not in the same league  but it was priced accordingly.  Cheap and cheerful, one of those.

A future ICONIC classic? 

No.

Fun to play?

Yes.

Good review - thank you. 

I got one more question, how do you think it would cut throught he mix in a band situation.  Do you play in a band or have band like situations where you can judge how your different guitars cut through the mix. 

Is this even I thing, or am I just over thinking it, I gotta figure it's a thing, but still feeling the burn from asking about nut size 🙂  (FYI - this is from a guy who probably will never play in a band (unless they're named the 'ol fuddy duddys or something similar), at least from an electric standpoint)

I haven't in a band in years, everybody always tells me I should.  We could all ourselves The Superspreaders, ha, ha.

I can say you'll be able to come through loud and clear with this one.  It's not a Les Paul humbucker sound by any means.

I'd have to undo a ton of screws but I'm pretty sure the Studio has a lot of air under the plastic which gives it a distinctive sound.  You can hear it even unplugged.

The whole guitar was a surprise!  It turned out to be a pleasant one, though.