Gibson Brands Forums

Fingerboard oiling : Jim DeCola

merciful-evans

So this video link was sent to me via Gibson (TV).  I am not interested in restating my views here. I am though, surprised at what Jim said & demonstrated.

Jim DeCola: Quotes

“Oiling the fingerboard is very important”.

“It’ll make it look & feel better”.

“Having that oil in the fingerboard will make it play like butter”.

“It’ll give the fingerboard a rich deep tone.”

“It’ll also make the guitar more stable because (with oil in it) it’ll be less inclined to expand & contract due to moisture fluctuation”.

He then demonstrates the oiling process by utterly saturating the wood.

https://www.gibson.com/GibsonTV/Gibsons Guide to Guitar Setup and Maintenance/gtvortac0/epodgp2n

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

So this video link was sent to me via Gibson (TV).  I am not interested in restating my views here. I am though, surprised at what Jim said & demonstrated.

Jim DeCola: Quotes

“Oiling the fingerboard is very important”.

“It’ll make it look & feel better”.

“Having that oil in the fingerboard will make it play like butter”.

“It’ll give the fingerboard a rich deep tone.”

“It’ll also make the guitar more stable because (with oil in it) it’ll be less inclined to expand & contract due to moisture fluctuation”.

He then demonstrates the oiling process by utterly saturating the wood.

https://www.gibson.com/GibsonTV/Gibsons Guide to Guitar Setup and Maintenance/gtvortac0/epodgp2n

He also loves Gibson products and uses them, but f-their amps...I'm gonna have a Marshall at my work station.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I watched that yesterday as well.  It did seem  he put a lot of oil on it, but I guess if you let it absorb in and then wipe off the excess it doesn't matter how much you initially use.  They need to do a little better with the camera on these videos.  It would have been more effective to get a good before and after shot of what the board looked like.  A couple weeks ago he did one about re-stringing an acoustic.  He did three different methods of securing at the tuning post, but because of poor camera work, you couldn't see what he was doing and the differences between them. 

On the other hand I suppose it's best they concentrate on building the best guitars they can and not worry about being great videographers.   

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Retired said:

I got that same video in my box. has anyone else ever used pure Almond oil?  I read way back that was better than lemon oil. Lasts longer but I don't know. 

OK, I'll bite.   I've been using coconut oil for 5 or 6 years on my 3 Gibsons.  About once every year +.   Tried it out on cutting boards and wooden coasters before venturing onto my guitars.  Started using it because I found "Lemon Oil"  is a petroleum distillate and that seemed ....  well, not 'natural' like lemons.  Of the not-petro-based oils,  coconut is said to be the only one that doesn't go 'bad' (rancid) over time.  And, based on several reports - is the #1 choice chefs use for their cutting board.   I  don't know anything about Almond Oil.  But I love Almond Joy. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

OK, I'll bite.   I've been using coconut oil for 5 or 6 years on my 3 Gibsons.  About once every year +.   Tried it out on cutting boards and wooden coasters before venturing onto my guitars.  Started using it because I found "Lemon Oil"  is a petroleum distillate and that seemed ....  well, not 'natural' like lemons.  Of the not-petro-based oils,  coconut is said to be the only one that doesn't go 'bad' (rancid) over time.  And, based on several reports - is the #1 choice chefs use for their cutting board.   I  don't know anything about Almond Oil.  But I love Almond Joy. 

Haha, So does Deb. Ok, Just looked it up and Almond Oil can go rancid also so No more of that then.