Gibson Brands Forums

Celebrity items

ksdaddy

Do any of you own celebrity signed or owned items?

I have a few things, mostly all bought on ebay. Signed photos, a few items owned by celebrities...not exactly Frank Sinatra's fedora or anything like that.

Last year I bought a Martin DM guitar from a person who apparently has some type of retail establishment and also was a promoter of some kind. This is a 1998 guitar that was new in the store, and as he encountered country artists through his booking avocation, he'd have them sign it. The guitar was hanging on the wall or on display in some fashion.  There's some names I had never heard of, but Charley Pride and George Jones I know! There's probably 10 signatures on it, one is Mark Chesnutt. Never heard of him but apparently my oldest daughter has, as she went berserk when she saw it.

This guy had all kinds of memorabilia for sale, and even mentioned something about the gates to Little Jimmie Dickens front yard. I didn't bother pursuing that one...

Over the years, I have had friends who think I'm crazy to want anyone's autograph to begin with, let alone a celebrity owned item. And if I didn't actually get the signature myself, they immediately doubt it's authenticity. A certificate of authenticity means nothing to them. 

So I don't bother talking about or showing this guitar, because I don't feel like going on the defensive, since I didn't personally witness George Jones signing the guitar. And as to money, the punch line is that I only paid $450 for this guitar, which is at the bottom end of it's market value. Come to think of it, that's the cheapest I've ever seen one. So much for paying extra for a signature.

Side note, this guitar is awesome. I don't care for the flat finish, because it is the guitar equivalent of corduroy clad thighs rubbing together. The fretboard is dry and raspy and I swear it has the original 1998 strings on it. I'm afraid to change them. They're black as a crow's armpit but sound wonderful. I hit them with the dial caliper and they're a funky gauge, 11-52. 

I had originally planned to overspray the top with a flat acrylic clear to protect the signatures, but I wet my thumb and rubbed one signature furiously and it didn't budge, so I guess Sharpie and a flat finish are a good match.

I'm griping today about people who sneer in disbelief when you have a piece of memorabilia and attempt to ridicule you for being so stupid as to buying something without 14 photographs, a notarized affadivait from 17 witnesses and DNA obtained under shady circumstances...how do you deal with them? Carry around the COA? Punch them in the throat?

A vendor in Bethel, NY is selling peace sign medallion necklaces made from the original Woodstock chain link fence. I want one of these so badly...but with ownership, I will have to constantly defend it.

Any snappy comebacks?

I used to have an Explorer from a guy who played with Danzig named Todd Youth. I have autographs from musicians I've met. I have a guitar pick from one of the guitarist from Def Leppard, I got at a show when they opened for Kiss a few years back.

I went through a phase of trying to get LPs or CDs autographed at gigs. 

Some I got are -  Mose Allison, Cal Collins, Barney Kessel, Tal Farlow, John Scofield, Gil Evans (I got his sig on the 3 Miles LPs),  Elvin Jones; the one I treasure most is Muddy Waters.

Edited by jdgm
  • Thanks 1

I have Dickey's autograph, to Ron, so that's special to me.  I've talked to him a lot, that means the most to me.  Gregg's autograph too.

I have emails with Bobby Whitlock.  Lots.  We had long conversations back in the AOL days.  He couldn't believe anyone knew who he was.

I have emails with Butch Trucks, lots of them too, same time, the AOL days when he did all the talking for the Allmans back then.  I pestered him for the Betts Hall Levell Trucks record(s) and he balked and said Dickey owns them, couldn't help me.   Got them a few years ago when Dickey let them out.  What a shame that guy turned out to be.

I have Derek Trucks, he signed his Uncle Gregg's CD cover for me after a long time at the bar talking about what else, Dickey.

I have a signed hot sauce bottle from Joe Perry.  I also called the number he (mistakenly) put on the first round of those bottles, and I talked to him for a while.  I'd turn for that handsome hunka man bashing at anything slung low.  What. A. Guy.

Everybody in Extreme signed a few things for us and we've spent quite some time with Nuno and Gary, but mostly Gary singer got us into VH show so I got to talk to Edward and the rest of them.  That was priceless.

Slaughter signed some stuff for us, Mrs was thrilled, still has all that stuff.

Few others of minor note around here.  Billy Paul signed a packa cigarettes when we were making a record with him.

I didn't get Hughie Thomasson's autograph after an hour with him and the rest of them on their last tour before he died.  Man that still pisses me off.  I didn't get any of their autographs after opening for them 40 friggin years ago.  That REALLY pisses me off.

I had an opportunity to hike up to Noo Yawk City and meet (all bow and look at the floor) Leo.  But I didn't go.  MAN that was dumb.  He died a year or so, maybe 2, later.

rct

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Now that I think of it, the wife has a sling bag signed by Dweezil Zappa and the band.

We are NOT groupies!

Own Lenny Kaye's old turntable (Patti Smith Group).

We ARE groupies!

I have the set list from Zappa's Berkeley show from '84 I got off the mixing desk after the show was over. It's hand written and I believe Frank wrote it. Who else is coming up with the set list to his show. I got Dweez's autograph on a ticket stub. He came out after the show and signed and talked to everyone that stayed around.

Do you like my new car?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Oakland Raiders helmet signed by:

Daryl Lamonica "mad bomber", Bo Jackson, Tom Flores SB XV & XVIII, Tim Brown, Ted Hendricks HoF "Mad Stork", Jim Otto HoF, Art Shell HoF, Kenny Stabler, Mike Haynes HoF, Willie Brown HoF, Jim Plunkett SB MVP, Ray Guy, George Blanda HoF, Fred Biletnikoff HoF, Mike Haynes HoF, Marcus Allen HoF

I got all of the signatures myself, meeting each of the above.  Freddie B and Lamonica are the nicest dudes.  There are a few of the above that are in HoF but don't have a "HoF" inscription because they were not in at time of signing.

4 minutes ago, Mutha said:

RCT I envy you, if I met Mr Betts I`d probably turn into a puddle of piss while also asking him to show me "One way out".

I almost did the first time I met him, 1977 when Great Southern on first tour.  He's a nice guy.  Many decades later he was hanging around by his bus right off South St in Philly and I sat down with him for a while.  I asked him what he was thinking during that One Way Out solo and he said "nuthin".  He just played, and was in the right spot and had the right volume to get those nearly train wreck harmonics off that thing, SG he was using at the time I think.  He said he tries not to think while soloing, and that helped me a lot, because I've always tried not to think when I'm soloing.  

rct

• Thanks 1

I used to have a real Platinum award disc for Appetite for Destruction..

A friend of mines father used to clear out old offices and one day came to me with this framed disc... At the time I didnt believe it was real, I mean who would leave something like that behind....

Well it sat on my wall for several years and at some point I was showing the woman who became my wife (well for a short while 😞 ) the music I liked and one of them was a Metallica album.. She was reading the CD booklet and in it it said in the Thanks Section. With thanks to Sylvie Simmons.. Which was the name that was on the platinum disc (presented too by the band)..

At that point many people may say that what I did next was silly. But I looked her up and she was (maybe still is ) a music journalist. So I used the magic of the internet to get in touch with her and organised to meet. She was so happy to get her disc back and gave me a really nice Hendrix picture disc in return and we had a good chat and some coffee and she shared some nice personal rock n roll stories about GnR and Metallica and others when they first started. Which is why she was presented with the award in the first place as she had helped both bands and many others early in their career.

Part of me sort of regrets it but the bigger part of me was happy to reunite her with such a treasured item.. 

Edited by Rabs
  • Like 3

When I was a young kid I thought Bobby Darin was a great Singer.. I still do.. I sent him a letter asking how to become a great Singer.. He sent a detailed reply & Signed it. 

I forgot about it. A few years ago before my Mom passed she gave us things she had saved. That Letter in the original 4 cent Stamped & Post marked envelope was one of them....

I think my Mom saving it for me all those years is more valuable to me than the Letter..

I own Jody Reynolds, "Endless Sleep", Martin D-35.. It's documented with Martin... 

Edited by Larsongs

I remember when Jody was selling an upright bass on ebay a number of years ago.

Back in '84 I found a black Goya electric guitar with the plastic pearl fingerboard for $12. I thought David Lindley would like it so I sent it to him. Several months later I got a letter from him. The electronics were all mounted on a rectangular plate and were missing on this particular guitar, made a big void. He happened to have one in red. To this day I hope to see a black and red Goya show up but he doesn't do a lot electrically now.

On 10/30/2020 at 7:44 AM, ghost_of_fl said:

Nice Sparq.  Ewww it's a thin.  Can you tell if that's a premium celluloid pick or standard fender pick?  

It's tough to say. 
The pick is quite old. 

Rick had a lot of picks, and I suspect he used one per song. 

I'm quite fond of thin picks anymore. 
The medium and thick ones just don't do anything for me these days. 

🙂

My mint 78 Hamer Sunburst is ex Jethro Tull. It was picked up on the 78 US tour.  The bass player Tony Williams was signed up by Hamer as an artist and got this guitar. He was originally in Stealer's wheel and had a hit with 'Stuck in the middle with you'. 

1507985978869.jpg

• Like 1

On October 30, 2020 at 9:53 AM, ksdaddy said:

I remember when Jody was selling an upright bass on ebay a number of years ago.

Back in '84 I found a black Goya electric guitar with the plastic pearl fingerboard for $12. I thought David Lindley would like it so I sent it to him. Several months later I got a letter from him. The electronics were all mounted on a rectangular plate and were missing on this particular guitar, made a big void. He happened to have one in red. To this day I hope to see a black and red Goya show up but he doesn't do a lot electrically now.

I remember that Upright Bass... 

• 1 month later...

I have a lot of pictures with people I've met a some stuff signed by Mark Farner, Gary Hoey, and a few other things.  In 2015 I took my wife to see Rick Springfield for her birthday. I met the guy who opened for him and he introduced to Rick. When Rick heard it was my wife's birthday, he gave us an autographed guitar.  It was one of the Chinese replicas of one of his guitars. He sells them as part of his meet and greet package but it was still a nice gesture on his part. He made it out to my wife and I and then signed it. We took some pictures with him as well. He's a very nice guy.

I played pro-am ice hockey for years and have a lot of hockey autographs and memorabilia.