Gibson Brands Forums

Celebrity items

ksdaddy

12 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

I sent an email to Judy Collins many years ago.  Told her I was playing her songs along with stuff from Dylan and Cash..  She wrote me back and it was three paragraphs on her , Cash, and Dylan.   Didn’t actually expect a reply, but she was very gracious.

Funny story - back in the early 60s  when she was just starting out, she was playing in our local H.S. gym on Long Island.  I went with a friend, whose mother was picking us up. It was suppose to end at 10pm.  He was scared of his Mom and at exactly 10 - got up and left.  We were sitting in the bleachers and she was on an impromptu stage on the other side of the basketball court sized gym.  Not wanting to be stranded, after a minute, I got up and started to weave my way past everyone, very visible up on the top row.  As I was leaving, I heard Ms. Collins say - "I'm not finished yet, you know."   Fortunately,  I didn't attend that school !  But - embarrassed to this day,  having the greatest respect for her.  

Edited by fortyearspickn
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Funny story - back in the early 60s  when she was just starting out, she was playing in our local H.S. gym on Long Island.  I went with a friend, whose mother was picking us up. It was suppose to end at 10pm.  He was scared of his Mom and at exactly 10 - got up and left.  We were sitting in the bleachers and she was on an impromptu stage on the other side of the basketball court sized gym.  Not wanting to be stranded, after a minute, I got up and started to weave my way past everyone, very visible up on the top row.  As I was leaving, I heard Ms. Collins say - "I'm not finished yet, you know."   Fortunately,  I didn't attend that school !  But - embarrassed to this day,  having the greatest respect for her.  

She said in 60-61 she and Dylan would be playing in California in a coffeehouse to no one but a couple waitresses and the owner.  Then, out of nowhere, Cash would walk in with thirty people and listen to their songs.  She said that happened a bunch of times and that’s how she got to know Cash, and he’d introduce them to the songwriters with him.......  Dylan, she said was always encouraging and giving her advice, even when they were kind of in-competition with each other and Dylan hadn’t gotten big yet...........  I see some similarities with me, her, and Dylan.  We all three write songs, we all three have played coffeehouses.   The only real differences are that Cash never showed-up at my gigs and I never made it big....lol.......But, I still have fun singing their songs.