Gibson Brands Forums

Please Help Choose my next Guitar (R9)

Lvesc

Hello guys, 

I am here seeking some advice, I am on the market for my first Custom Shop R9.
I'v narrowed down to TWO final contenders, both sound amazing and prices are similar. n1 is a bit more expensive: 

The first is a 2014 Aged:

gibson1aged.thumb.jpg.faffb3fe50789afe6a9590ca99fdbe94.jpggibson2aged.thumb.jpg.b58ad056727d7f60c552f5b9dd2c887b.jpg

Second is a 2001 Custom Shop Art Historic of 500 units.

gibson2.thumb.jpg.d1d475fbc110eda5551ac1e96929ee86.jpggibson1.thumb.jpg.f69a21c26fd2fa648b148eef7c258615.jpg

My heart says n1 because of the aged finish... But.... n2  is more exclusive and in MINT condition, I mean NEW not even a scratch (Maybe easier to resell?)

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Lvesc

BUY THE 2001 NOW.

ABSOLUTELY NO CONTEST.

THE 2001.

Better quality and will be worth more in the long run. I promise.

Gibson were really on top form in 2001. Do NOT hesitate.

Edited by jdgm

8 minutes ago, Lvesc said:

Thank you, could you elaborate please on why you are so sure on the 2001? 

Sorry - just added a bit to my reply.  The history is that Gibson were taken over in 1986 and the quality went right up and was still peaking in 2001.

It's debatable exactly when, but then the quality slipped (slightly)  from about.....2005-ish?  Though I have a LP Custom from 2009 - fantastic guitar and very well made, but one of the saddle slots was badly cut.  The build quality is back up now and was good too in 2014 AFAIK, but early 2000s LPs are built and finished to the very highest standards. I honestly think it will be a better instrument in all ways. 

Good luck!

Edited by jdgm

5 minutes ago, jdgm said:

BUY THE 2001 NOW.

ABSOLUTELY NO CONTEST.

THE 2001.

Better quality and will be worth more in the long run. I promise.

Gibson were really on top form in 2001. Do NOT hesitate.

Ohh I see... I have a question though...

I was reading long posts about R9s from 2013 on, were more like the “real thing” due to manufacturing and material changes. 

thank you for your attention. 

Yes around then they started to introduce 'period correct' plastics and so on.  

So there may not be much in it; both look very nice indeed except that the 2001 will probably appreciate a little more.

Looks like it's 451/500.  I hope someone else opines on this but I know which one I'd have!!

Edited by jdgm

6 minutes ago, jdgm said:So there may not be much in it

Yeah, super difficult choice...

If it were esthetics, personally, I’ll go for the aged. 
But I agree with you, the 2001 would have more market after some time. 

Thanks again for your help!

cheers mate 

On paper the 2014 wins, with the more period correct hide glue and the Custombucker pickups etcetera, but of course every newer version has to be better than the last one, that's the nature of marketing.

Regarding build quality there's no such thing as good years and bad ones with the exception of 1957-60 but even then not all guitars were equal.

Yes the 2001 might appreciate more in the short term because the market tends to favour older guitars, for no logical reason, that's the way it is, but a lot depends on whether your buying it as an investment or to play it.

Good luck whichever you decide upon, I'm sure you will be happy with either.