Gibson Brands Forums

2020 ES335 DOT possible issue?

3 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

If I try to take you too seriously I’ll probably have a stroke. You don’t understand this basic concept and that’s ok. I’m gonna have to take my own advice and ignore.

What basic concept don't I understand?

When creating my post I was hoping that either a few people with 2020 335s would chime in and say that theirs were like that too.....or someone would be able to explain why my 2018 335 has flush fitting control knobs when my 2020 model doesn't.

I'm not sure why my post is seen as being pathetic or somehow unnecessary? I think the high knobs look kinda goofy, like they aren't pressed down onto the pots properly. If you're fine with that look then more power to you.  I think it looks sub-optimal but hey, maybe I'm being overly picky on a £2600 instrument?

I think the knobs on your ES are totally normal, actually the one from 2018 with the 70ies style knobs looks kind of unusual to me. 

I went through a lot of ES 335s the last couple of years, no matter if it was the cheapest production line guitar or the most expensive custom shop guitar, they all had the knobs sticking out like yours.

If it bothers you that much, you can put an additional washer under the knob, which is kind of tricky but possible.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, littlejohnny said:

I think the knobs on your ES are totally normal, actually the one from 2018 with the 70ies style knobs looks kind of unusual to me. 

I went through a lot of ES 335s the last couple of years, no matter if it was the cheapest production line guitar or the most expensive custom shop guitar, they all had the knobs sticking out like yours.

If it bothers you that much, you can put an additional washer under the knob, which is kind of tricky but possible.

Thankyou. That's the kind of reply I was hoping for.

On 11/6/2020 at 9:19 AM, Dub-T-123 said:

Be careful not to destroy the pots by yanking on the shafts. Witch hat knobs are usually installed with a set screw. Not sure what you’re trying to learn there really but different knobs are different....

The 335 has the same pots and knobs as an SG or similar guitar. The wood on the 335 where the pot is mounted is thinner so the pot sticks out more. 

BBP introduced the idea that all pots come with two nuts into this thread which is not true. He also implied that it would basically be easy to adjust the pot shaft height on the 335 using the internal nut which is not true. That would further complicate an already difficult electronics installation for virtually no benefit. The idea of Gibson ordering special sized pots and knobs just for the 335 just to address this “problem” is equally silly. 

Hey bud - There's no need to get all worked up.  How  many times have you pulled the guts on an ES guitar? I've done maybe 8 or 10.  Not "all" pots come with backing nuts.  "Some" pots come with backing nuts.  "All" and "some" are different.  "All" means every one.  "Some" means not every one, but some of them.  If you haven't learned about using the backing nut to adjust the pot height on an ES guitar, well then, maybe you should try it sometime.  It feels good. Felt really good when I did it.  You can do it on your Les Paul too.  That's where beginners start, lol.

On 11/8/2020 at 2:19 PM, Dub-T-123 said:

If I try to take you too seriously I’ll probably have a stroke. You don’t understand this basic concept and that’s ok. I’m gonna have to take my own advice and ignore.

Sounds like you're going to have a stroke anyway soon enough with all the arm waving.

On 10/25/2020 at 6:58 AM, badbluesplayer said:

Got a pic?  It's possible that the pots are mounted in there with the shafts sticking up too far.  There's a backing nut on the shaft of the pot under the top of the guitar that is adjusted to get the right height on the pots.  Maybe they're just mounted too high. 

30 minutes ago, badbluesplayer said:

"Some" pots come with backing nuts.  "All" and "some" are different.  "All" means every one.  "Some" means not every one, but some of them.  If you haven't learned about using the backing nut to adjust the pot height on an ES guitar, well then, maybe you should try it sometime.  

I was just reading what you said. “There’s a backing nut on the shaft of the pot” is what you said. Gibson’s pots don’t usually come with backing nuts. By the way smarty pants if you wanna get into semantics the nut goes on the bushing and the knob goes on the shaft. 

I don’t doubt that you’re an expert on shafts and backing nuts, but not with regard to Gibson pots..

On 11/10/2020 at 9:54 AM, Dub-T-123 said:

I was just reading what you said. “There’s a backing nut on the shaft of the pot” is what you said. Gibson’s pots don’t usually come with backing nuts. By the way smarty pants if you wanna get into semantics the nut goes on the bushing and the knob goes on the shaft. 

I don’t doubt that you’re an expert on shafts and backing nuts, but not with regard to Gibson pots..

You tell me!  Mr. Never Heard About Backing Nuts.  You sure straightened me out!  My self-confidence is shattered.  Please don't report me to the Backing Nut Board of America.  Or the ES335 Wiring Society.  Or the ES-335 Big Expert's Group.  Or the Who Doesn't Know Something But Now They Do Authority.  Or my Professional Engineer's licensing board.  😘

2 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

Probably a good time for you to get a cup of coffee bud. You already drunk?

Tell you what, Mr. Walking Kafka Novel, I'll let you take over the thread.  Have a nice issue.  And BTW, I'm an ex-epileptic and I don't drink or do drugs.

Edited by badbluesplayer