Gibson Brands Forums

Tell me about the mid 1960's Gibson B-25's

Taylor Player

I have a potentially interesting trade offer for one of my Taylor Guitars. I have been GASing for a vintage Gibson for a long time. This is a Mid 60's Gibson B-25 Natural top (no burst) and looks to be in excellent condition. One owner since new. I don't think I have ever played one or at least not for many years and would not have known what it was back then. The owner has had the bridge swapped out to a wood bridge and I believe the tuners have also been replaced by sealed gears.

What do they sound like tonally? Anyone know what the nut width and scale length is? Is it a good fingerstyle blues type guitar? Any idea of current value for a 1966 model in very good condition? Any problems associated with them?

B25s are great...essentially the '60s update on the LG2/LG3. I'm not sure if a '66 would have the narrow nut that the later '60s Gibsons had (I had an all-mahogany B15 for a while, great guitar but had a very narrow neck...I got used to it in the end, but it was a pretty skinny thing to handle. Solid as a rock, though.

I would say they B25s (X-braced as opposed to the ladder bracing of the B15) are a good all-rounder, like a more compact sounding J45. Surprisingly good for strumming, as well as handling flatpicking very well and being quite adept at fingerstyle.

I have liked every one I have played.

Which Taylor is the trade for, out of interest?

If I were to do it, it would be the Taylor GSMC (Grand Symphony Mahogany back/sides and Western Red Cedar Top.

Not sure if I want to though. I really would like a 60's Gibson but nut width will be important and I was kind of thinking of continuing to look for an LG1, LG2 or LG3 in great condition as potential trade.

I am just not that familier with the B-25's and a skinny nut worries me. It's one of the main reasons I don't care that much for Martins. I love my Taylor 1 3/4" nuts!

Paul, I know which one you're talking about..... I saw that one too (the B-25)! Gorgeous! I would LOVE to have that one but, no worries, I have no money so I'm not your competition. If you get it, I'll be anxiously awaiting your review!

Hi Karen....

Your right, it is the one over at the AGF... Here is a link to the AGF thread with photos:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149328

It is a beauty, tuners and bridge replaced and the condition appears flawless. Original case too (looks cheap but cool in a vintage way).

He indicated it is the 1 9/16" nut which seems so narrow to a 1 3/4" player like me. My Gibson is 1.725 so close enough where I don't notice a difference between it and the Taylors.

Any other advice, comments, thoughts on how equitable this trade may be?

That is a terrible bridge replacement on that B25. I wouldn't make that trade.

In all honesty, I don't see any reason at this point to make the trade due to the very small nut width partially but mostly because I have never traded or bought a guitar without playing it first. Makes these cross country trades a bit of a problem in my opinon. At least loacally we have a very active Craigslist and if I keep my eyes open, I am sure to find a nice vintage Gibby someday. In the meantime, I really do like my GSMC Taylor. I played it for a couple hours last night going from Standard to DADGAD to Open G and it really plays well in all of them....... it's just not a vintage Gibson!!!!!! Someday, hopefully... something will come along.

I should ask though, what did you see "terrible" about the bridge replacement. I thought that going from the crappy plastic adjustable bridges to a nice wooden bridge was an upgrade that helped these guitars?

In all honesty' date=' I don't see any reason at this point to make the trade due to the very small nut width partially but mostly because I have never traded or bought a guitar without playing it first. Makes these cross country trades a bit of a problem in my opinon. At least loacally we have a very active Craigslist and if I keep my eyes open, I am sure to find a nice vintage Gibby someday. In the meantime, I really do like my GSMC Taylor. I played it for a couple hours last night going from Standard to DADGAD to Open G and it really plays well in all of them....... it's just not a vintage Gibson!!!!!! Someday, hopefully... something will come along.

I should ask though, what did you see "terrible" about the bridge replacement. I thought that going from the crappy plastic adjustable bridges to a nice wooden bridge was an upgrade that helped these guitars? [/quote']

Yes I agree a nice wood bridge to replace the original plastic one but this one is not the right shape or direction. It should be a upper belly type the same shape as the original and made of brazilian rosewood. This one is hideous looking and ruins the original look of the guitar as do the tuners. I'm sure your Taylor is worth more then this B25, which I say is worth $700 max, if that.

If a larger nut is a concern I would recommend the Gibson F-25. It's like the B-25 body with a 12 fret 2" wide neck just like a classical guitar but it's made and braced for steel strings. As always, I highly recommend it. I've had mine since '82 and will never give it up.

Yes I agree a nice wood bridge to replace the original plastic one but this one is not the right shape or direction. It should be a upper belly type the same shape as the original and made of brazilian rosewood. This one is hideous looking and ruins the original look of the guitar as do the tuners. I'm sure your Taylor is worth more then this B25' date=' which I say is worth $700 max, if that.[/quote']

I think the guy was asking $1100.00 for it, if I'm not mistaken. I'd love to get my hands on one of those old late 60's skinny necks!

I think the guy was asking $1100.00 for it' date=' if I'm not mistaken. I'd love to get my hands on one of those old late 60's skinny necks![/quote']

I love the small neck on my ES-339. I realize this is a total different deal, but......

Just sayin'.............

Murph.

I've had 3 over the years: a '61 LG-3, a 66 B-25 and 67 B-25 N. All 3 were fine sounding and playing guitars. For the '65-'67 years, you have to get used to that narrow nut combined with the thin neck. I've always felt these guitars disprove any theories of the bigger neck translating to bigger sound. The '67 B-25 I had was a huge sounding guitar.

The '68 Dove I recently owned had the skinny neck too. Also a '69 ES150D a few years back. At first the skinny neck seemed fast and comfy but sometimes my hands are just stupid and need that extra little wiggle room. The honeymoon soon wore off and it was the #1 reason I dumped it. But just my opinion and we all have them....

• 1 year later...

TP.. I know it's moot because you're not doing the trade but I've a "ksdaddy question" for you and fp.

I'm pretty sure that the B-25s, B-25-12s, B-45-12s and LG-12's all came came with Kluson (later Gibson) Delux sealed tuners (3 on a plate for the B-25, 6 on a plate for the 12 strings) like the ones in the ad and was wondering why you felt the tuners were replaced? (aside from possible wear/tear/damage to the originals).

I had recently seen a '67 B-25n, at Lark Street music (it was on hold for someone- so I kept my hands off), with the old adjustable bridge and the same type sealed Klusons. I think the price was $1300 (:-).

Nice gutar Fraillin. I do like the "-n"s but that's a nice sunburst. Wish I had the money.

If anyone is interested' date=' I have a beautiful B25 I'm looking to sell. It's listed over at Banjohangout: http://www.banjohangout.org/classified/16122

[img']http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o148/jabez48/P1020255.jpg[/img]

Craig

Man... old thread revival!

Hey... I have seen your B25 on our Minneapolis Craigslist and it is in amazing looking shape! Good luck with the sale.

I never got that B25 obviosly, but as you know ended up with my LG1 which I have loved since the day I got it.

I don't remember the specifics on the tuners, because it was the real skinny neck that turned me off. Same with the 1967 LG0 I recently had. I thought I could work around the skinny neck but it just wasn't working so I traded it for the 1979 Gibson "The Paul" electric with a 1 11/16" neck which on an electric is heaven to my fingers.......

i recently played (and almost bought) a 67 B25. it does have the skinny neck but that suits me and my digitally challenged hand just fine. it had the adj bridge, which is often said to be a tone killer, but i didnt find this to be true. buc hit on a point in another thread that saddle contact is very important and maybe that's why this guitar wasn't robbed of its tone. jinder is correct - the lg2 became the b25. it is x-braced, hog b/s and spruce top. i loved it but the guy in the shop cautioned me that i should look for new or newer being that i play quite heavy-handed and an older guitar might not stand up to that type of use for long. though i'm sure there are cases to be made on both sides of that arguement.

Man... old thread revival!

Hey... I have seen your B25 on our Minneapolis Craigslist and it is in amazing looking shape! Good luck with the sale.

I never got that B25 obviosly' date=' but as you know ended up with my LG1 which I have loved since the day I got it.

I don't remember the specifics on the tuners, because it was the real skinny neck that turned me off. Same with the 1967 LG0 I recently had. I thought I could work around the skinny neck but it just wasn't working so I traded it for the 1979 Gibson "The Paul" electric with a 1 11/16" neck which on an electric is heaven to my fingers.......

[/quote']

Sorry about missing the original date on the thread.

Archived